Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gulf Coast in Sept from Utah. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Wooddy04EGUC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gulf Coast in Sept from Utah. Any ideas?

My wife and I are interested in heading to the Gulf Coast this September for a nice getaway. From Salt Lake City we would likely head down through Moab, to Albuquerque, Roswell, San Angelo, San Antonio and Corpus Christi. From there make our way to New Orleans along the coast as much as possible then back home (SLC) from there. Possibly returning though Memphis, KC and Omaha NE. Not really sure yet.

What would you all consider must see towns/attractions along the way? We will likely have about 10 days to complete the whole trip maybe more if we need it..

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooddy04EGUC
My wife and I are interested in heading to the Gulf Coast this September for a nice getaway. From Salt Lake City we would likely head down through Moab, to Albuquerque, Roswell, San Angelo, San Antonio and Corpus Christi. From there make our way to New Orleans along the coast as much as possible then back home (SLC) from there. Possibly returning though Memphis, KC and Omaha NE. Not really sure yet.

What would you all consider must see towns/attractions along the way? We will likely have about 10 days to complete the whole trip maybe more if we need it..

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.
wow, that is really cool man. Nice, nice, nice.

I am not an expert in that area but you did say San Angelo. When you are there you may want to stop in at a company called JL Mercer. They did John Wayne's boots, Lyndon B. Johnson, a lot of country-western singers and other famous people. I will be dropping in their late June.

I always wear cowboy boots specially designed for riding. If you are into that thing then JL Mercer is the place my friend.

You are not too far from Coopersmith BBQ in Llano Texas and of course the Twisted Sisters a little south from there.

But again, I am not an expert of that area so I will shut up and see what other people say.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 PM
BuzzCap7

You know my friend, I may be selling myself short.

We're in particular on the Gulf Coast I you talking about because I do have a few things in mind.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Wooddy04EGUC
Advanced

Thanks for the information. BBQ is always good and any place that you should see incase you're never in the area again. We are thinking about traveling the coast as close as possible from Corpus Christi to N.O. If we need to shorten that up a bit maybe from Galveston to N.O.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just so you know...the entire ride from west Texas to New Orleans will likely be hotter than hell and above 75% humidity during that time of year.

If you are leaving closer to late Sept, I would recommend taking a more northern route on the way to NO and then hit up the southern route you mentioned on the return.

If you are going to be near Roswell and cutting through Texas to San Antonio/Corpus Christi, I would recommend White Sands national monument, Carlsbad Caverns, and Big Bend NP in sw Texas as worthwhile stops along the route.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 PM
BuzzCap7

CC to NO. Then I can't help much sry.

When u go to NO, there is a LONG road right over the middle of Lake Pontchartran <sp>. <-- THAT road may be a good'n.

Have fun!!

BuzzCap7

Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Wooddy04EGUC
Advanced

Thanks for the tips guys. Ill add those places to the list. Good to know about the heat too. Its going to be the second week in Sept.

Of course we wont be able to hit them all up but we can research these and go from there.

JL Mercer
Lake Pontchartrain Causeway
White Sands NM
Carlsbad Caverns
Big Bend NP
Coopersmith BBQ
Twisted Sisters

Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

from the title...guessing the coast is a part of the objective? You ever been to the gulf coast?

You may know, but east Mississippi on the gulf gets much clearer with white sands. Be sad to cross half the country and not push on a few hundred miles to see this. Dramatic difference by FL AL line. Those postcard white beaches.

Have you looked at possible routes? Can't really follow the coast from Lafayette LA area east to N'awlins. Some great plantation, swamp areas to see tho. Meet some real cajuns.

One CAN follow the coast south of Houston. Often crossed Galveston. Ferry on the east side and on to almost the LA line

shameless plug... might consider hitting Arkansas on the way back, Hot Springs? Ozarks. If ya do cut through, find a route a bit more intriguing than the interstate. Head north thru Eureka Springs or up hwy 65 (if you in a hurry) or 7. Or go west thru Mena and the talimena. Hills by your UT standards but some of our best areas.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Wooddy04EGUC
Advanced

Yes the coast is part of the reason for heading that way. We grew up in Norcal and miss the ocean from time to time. Never been to the gulf coast so we are interested in some good spots. My wife wants to see some coastal wildlife...and beaches. Some good food of course. N.O. may be biting off to much for this trip. If I go from Corpus Christi to Galveston then head back through Denver it cuts 800 miles off instead of N.O. to Memphis and up to 80 in Oamha. Id like to be able to stop and enjoy some things along the way and relax a little..lol. Thanks for the info though. Ive got all kinds of time to think about it.

Places to see:

JL Mercer
Lake Pontchartrain Causeway
White Sands NM
Carlsbad Caverns
Big Bend NP
Coopersmith BBQ
Twisted Sisters
Hot Springs? Ozarks

Old 03-25-2015, 10:15 AM
Wooddy04EGUC
Advanced

This might be a little more realistic. Still not sure.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Salt...9987!3e0?hl=en

Quick Reply: Gulf Coast in Sept from Utah. Any ideas?