Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

South Dakota in July

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,827 Likes on 18,580 Posts

Blueravens recommendations are good Let me add

Stop at the Stonehouse on your ride out to Devils Tower ...

Playhouse Road out of Keystone is an "obscure ride" that is good and will bring you back around to Mt Rushmore from the "other" direction

Old 04-24-2015, 09:29 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Mostly everyone has mentioned all the sites. Deadwood is fun to see and have to go into the #10. Ride up into Spearfish Canyon and over to Sundance and Devils Tower. Have to stop in Sturgis and see how slow it is before the rally. I like to ride over by Trailshead Lodge and make sure and stop into the Saloon just west of there. Fun little place to see. Hit up Nemo and Vanocker Canyon. Stop down into Rochford and look at the little mall of America and the saloon. Many other places

Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by davey019
Mostly everyone has mentioned all the sites. Deadwood is fun to see and have to go into the #10. Ride up into Spearfish Canyon and over to Sundance and Devils Tower. Have to stop in Sturgis and see how slow it is before the rally. I like to ride over by Trailshead Lodge and make sure and stop into the Saloon just west of there. Fun little place to see. Hit up Nemo and Vanocker Canyon. Stop down into Rochford and look at the little mall of America and the saloon. Many other places
That's Moonshine Gulch Saloon!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM
WebWolf
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 18 Posts

Done Sturgis/Blackhills many times during the summer months on the bike. I have one "must do" every time we go. Anyone doing it will always say the same thing. Do the Iron Mountain Road ride. Pig tail bridges, switch backs an all. 17 miles and 314 curves - http://www.ironmountainroad.com/

Old 05-10-2015, 07:45 AM
kberger
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

wake up this AM and see on the news that Rapid City had a couple inches of SNOW overnight. Not exactly what I wanted to see but our trip is still a couple months out. Thanks for all the tips and advice

Old 05-10-2015, 11:12 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey there! Enjoy that trip!
Checking the weather almanac the only month with no measurable amount of snow ever is July! That's good news im sure.

But it is the warmest month at 72.6 average temp. Sounds nice compared to Houston which averages 186 degrees in July! (not really but feels like it)

Rapid City snowiest months are March and April and every decade or so they have good snow in May (for example...right now)

Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 PM
kberger
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

down to about 3 1/2 weeks before we go. very much looking forward to this trip

Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. The rally this year will be the 75th anniversary and they are anticipating one million bikers. People will be riding the week before Sturgis and a week after the rally. It has turned into more than just one week. I would suggest you take in downtown Sturgis before you leave for home. Friday July 31 downtown Sturgis will be in full swing. Main street and Lazelle will be full of vendors and people at that time.

Enjoy your trip and ride safe.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:03 PM
bballkking1
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Check out the Boar's Nest for a quick beer (or two) on rt85 south of Lead. It might be a good place to stop on your way back from Devil's Tower depending on your route.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:55 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts

Op...let me say im jealous! I also have warning for you on a road near Deadwood.

Just did a quick trip to Spearfish/Black Hills/Sturgis for one day. 26th of June was the day. It was amazing...great weather.

I was told it was pretty soggy in the black hills but it looks to be drying up.

I saw lots of bike...due to the fact it was a weekend and recent rally in the area?

It was a pretty good day....traffic but not crazy bad.

Just a few road construction delays...

One major point was they are doing construction near Deadwood. The road was just plain awful for my little car.

It looks like this construction will be going on for awhile. Im talking the road was down to it muddy base. It looked like a picture from the 1900;s.
Use caution and check w/ SD Dot for its exact location and a work around.

Enjoy your trip!

Quick Reply: South Dakota in July