Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Do you camp when on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Ridin Da Dish
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
I camp .................in Marriot's.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,963 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I am an experienced backpacker. When I was younger, I would go on 17 day backpacks. That meant 35 pounds of equipment plus 25 pounds of dry food. That was all I needed to live in the wilderness for 17 days.

Given that, you would think I would like to camp while riding. You would be wrong. Except for my first cross country ride in 1968, I have never camped on a ride. I have always made sure I had a bed, a toilet and a door to close. Much as I like backpacking, I could never figure out a reason to camp along a road when there was a motel nearby. The only exception is money. I totally understand camping if you can't afford a motel. Otherwise it is motels all the way for me on long rides. This summer I have three long rides planned and motel reservations are already made in a lot of places.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Da Dish
Yup...ditto on Marriots, Hilton Garden Inns, etc. we have several trips this summer and hotels are booked. For my back seat commander, no places with numbers in their name, and they must have hair dryers.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess I am the odd man out. I still enjoy camping.
I've even slept in a bivy between my 2 friends' motorhomes.
Totally comfortable sleeping out.

The only time I get a room is when my wife is travelling with me. She is still game to tent it, but after being with me 36 years I owe it to her. Great lady, equally at home in a tent or at the Ritz Grand Cayman.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-24-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:25 AM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I understand the camping, use to do it when younger and still camp some times at Stugis. But at my age I'm more about a good night sleep and not have a sore back in the morning before going for a long day of riding.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM
pgpn
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like bike camping. sitting around the camp in the morning with fresh coffee planning the day is one of my favorite things to do. I will go on trips just to camp. I dont have alot of friends that want to do it but my wife likes it most of the time so usually its me and her.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:44 PM
OV-10
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write-up!

Old 04-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Ridin Da Dish
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pgpn
I like bike camping. sitting around the camp in the morning with fresh coffee planning the day is one of my favorite things to do. I will go on trips just to camp. I dont have alot of friends that want to do it but my wife likes it most of the time so usually its me and her.

I'm with you on this one...... nothing like "roughing it" .....not for the faint of heart.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Da Dish
I'm with you on this one...... nothing like "roughing it" .....not for the faint of heart.
Why is it not for the faint of heart?
There is nothing difficult or dangerous about it.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-25-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:46 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
why is it not for the faint of heart?
Nothing difficult or dangerous about it.
I can answer that:
It is because of the snakes….. they will crawl into your sleeping bag at night to get warm … or they can get into or under your tent. Additionally; there are certain spiders that come out at night and they can create their web in about an hour… sometimes even they will have their baby spiders, hundreds of them, in the web. Just don't get your hair caught up in it. They are so small you won't know they are they until they get into your ears or up your nose. Sometimes, if they are not too small they can and will give you a bit of a 'bite' that can puss up and itch for days….
And then; if you are near a forest, especially in spring, the bears come out at night foraging for food… so if you cooked dinner, left out garbage, saved some for later in your tent… you WILL have big hairy visitors.
And then be careful not to be off all alone; many, many times rapists go looking for all alone camp sights for just that thing; and you have nobody to call or yell out too.
This is all I remember at the moment; but be sure to call the county sheriff before hand to see if their have been any sexual assaults, prison breaks, snake bites or bear attacks recently, so you can be prepared. Oh, and don't forget to shake out your boots in the morning… spiders and such will crawl in there at night; just like the snakes in your sleeping bag..
No charge for the info: MSgt R.L. Parker USMC (Retired) have a nice time

Quick Reply: Do you camp when on the road?