Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Do you camp when on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Wimbo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hitched hiked around Europe back in 81-82 with my then to be wife.
Great back then,but my knees can't take the bending anymore, getting into the tent etc.
I'll always hit a Pub now and stay there.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:31 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
Nope, too old to lay on the ground in a tent. I'll take a soft bed, hot shower, ac, and ppv ****.
I used to enjoy camping, had a lot of great times -- just no longer care to make/break camp every day or sleep on the ground.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope...

Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

About to make motel reservations right now for a three day ride in mid May. First day San Francisco to Red Bluff through the Napa Valley. Second day going west on Route 36 over to the coast, 140 miles of beautiful twisties. Third day back to San Francisco along the Pacific Coast Highway. Best Western is my friend on the road. They are biker friendly and will give you a discount for HOG membership (they also give the same discount for AAA and others). And they always have a supply of old soiled towels that they have washed for use in cleaning your bike. They also throw in a nice breakfast. I like that much better then camping out now a days.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:18 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

Very cool write up.... My son and i did a 1700 mile in state ride camping out 2 nights just about a month ago. It was awesome. We met some fun people and had a great time. There is nothing like waking up in the morning and being in the great outdoors. We are camping in sturgis this year... I cant wait.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Iron Vaquero
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent post! Take the time to read the link(s)! I camp every chance I can-even with the family, we enjoy camping. Camping adds a special element that my familia and compadres enjoy! Charlottlesville, Virginia is on-deck this June, otherwise known as the, "Old Dominion Run".

Old 04-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

I am taking a 4,000 mile ride this September and due to the length of the ride there are many variables and misfortunes which could occur so after a lunch stop on the day of I call around for motel reservations. This eliminates any charges should I not be able to honor any reservation I made in advance. This tactic has worked for me for the more than 20,000 miles I have traveled on previous trips in this country, Canada and Mexico.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:47 AM
dcotter
5th Gear

we've shipped a box with camping gear to state parks. Also sent a return label. We just show up, camp and then seal the box back up and give to the office so they send it back home

Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Ridin Da Dish
Banned

Originally Posted by dcotter
we've shipped a box with camping gear to state parks. Also sent a return label. We just show up, camp and then seal the box back up and give to the office so they send it back home

Fantastic idea.......

Old 04-30-2015, 01:02 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by dcotter
I've done that but not for camping. When I've gone to visit a friend or family member in a distant city, I sometimes ship a box of extra clothing and shoes, etc. and gifts for the little ones for use and distribution while I am there. Then I have the box shipped back when I leave.

Quick Reply: Do you camp when on the road?