Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Do you camp when on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 06:50 AM
Ridin Da Dish
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On second thought I suppose ...especially if your trailering your ride for a good portion of the trip that there is plenty of excess room on the trailer for camping supplies and accessories.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:36 AM
SturgVirg
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcotter
we've shipped a box with camping gear to state parks. Also sent a return label. We just show up, camp and then seal the box back up and give to the office so they send it back home
That is damn slick. Is it a common practice that gooberment workers understand and accomplish without causing an issue? I'd hate to show up with no gear in the middle of nowhere.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
I can answer that:
It is because of the snakes….. they will crawl into your sleeping bag at night to get warm … or they can get into or under your tent. Additionally; there are certain spiders that come out at night and they can create their web in about an hour… sometimes even they will have their baby spiders, hundreds of them, in the web. Just don't get your hair caught up in it. They are so small you won't know they are they until they get into your ears or up your nose. Sometimes, if they are not too small they can and will give you a bit of a 'bite' that can puss up and itch for days….
And then; if you are near a forest, especially in spring, the bears come out at night foraging for food… so if you cooked dinner, left out garbage, saved some for later in your tent… you WILL have big hairy visitors.
And then be careful not to be off all alone; many, many times rapists go looking for all alone camp sights for just that thing; and you have nobody to call or yell out too.
This is all I remember at the moment; but be sure to call the county sheriff before hand to see if their have been any sexual assaults, prison breaks, snake bites or bear attacks recently, so you can be prepared. Oh, and don't forget to shake out your boots in the morning… spiders and such will crawl in there at night; just like the snakes in your sleeping bag..
No charge for the info: MSgt R.L. Parker USMC (Retired) have a nice time

You forgot to tell them all about Sasquatch!

Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I camp when going to Rallies. But touring for sake of storage space I stick to motels.

At 74 I have no problem with tent camping. The places that I camp have all had good shower faculties. Roughing it at wilderness areas would not suit me at any age.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Ruffinit
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, normally tent camp. This was at Iron Mountain Arkansas a couple of falls ago. The cans come off to serve as a table/cooking area. 1700 mile trip down and back with a foray into OK, 6 days camping here.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:04 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
Nice write up with some good tips. I camped a couple of nights when I rode out to NC for my Tail of the Dragon trip. As you can tell from my avatar pic I took my bag and pad seriously because of a bad back. A friend and I will be camping at Sturgis this year and I can't wait. BTW, I'm almost 60 and I still enjoy it. I got a 4 season Asollo tent that I used to take, but will be springing for something less streamlined and with more headroom for this trip. I like to take a collapsible chair whenever possible also.
no way I will ever be able to sleep on the ground again. I am interested in knowing what type of pad you are using as I woul like to camp to cut costs on multiple week trips. Damn hotels get spendy real fast.

I need a thick wide pad and don't mind packing it on the bike if it fits. Hell I have to take at least 3-4 pillows for back support also. Sucks but a wild life Younger life and a physically demanding job has tAken its toll on my body.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:32 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
no way I will ever be able to sleep on the ground again. I am interested in knowing what type of pad you are using as I woul like to camp to cut costs on multiple week trips. Damn hotels get spendy real fast.

I need a thick wide pad and don't mind packing it on the bike if it fits. Hell I have to take at least 3-4 pillows for back support also. Sucks but a wild life Younger life and a physically demanding job has tAken its toll on my body.
I use a sleeping pad which is just a couple of inches thick. It works well for me but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

You're best bet would be an air mattress of some sort. I had a coleman twin sized air mattress I used before the sleeping pad that worked well. It was just a single high one but they do make ones that looks like two air mattresses stacked on one another. Mine didn't take up too much room on the bike and had a little battery powered air pump.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:28 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Depending on your bike, etc. this REI air mattress would probably work for you. I have an Exped Synmat 7, which is about as good as it gets for pads but prefer the REI air mattress. Available in twin or queen size, HERE

Old 05-10-2015, 10:59 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

That mattress looks like it would work great. Thanks. I have a SG with a king tour pack and can haul a bunch of stuff on top rack and behind backrest on my portion of the seat. No passenger

Old 05-11-2015, 12:23 AM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That mattress looks like it would work great. Thanks. I have a SG with a king tour pack and can haul a bunch of stuff on top rack and behind backrest on my portion of the seat. No passenger
If you don't want to hand pump it up, try a self-inflating mattress pad ..
http://www.rei.com/product/882260/mo...15-special-buy