Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Memphis recommendations.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts
Default Memphis recommendations.

Four of us are going to meet in Memphis sometime this summer and I'd appreciate some information from the locals.

Of course we'll do Graceland (if we can find a secure spot) and at least a couple of the best BBQ places and whatever else may be recommended.

Every big city has certain spots you don't want to go and places where it isn't safe to stay.

1. Where would be a good location to spend two nights?
2. What restaurant(s) would you recommend for BBQ?
3. What other things/places would you recommend for us to visit?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:06 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Stay by the Harley dealership. I believe it called key west inn it only about 15 miles from Graceland . When I was there in Memphis most of the had gates and fences around them including the hotel by Graceland . BBQ restaurant that Elvis went to by Graceland was good . Was told of a couple of other BBQ places but we're told not to go at night . I thought the Sun record tour was great. we had a great guide he made it fun . Beale Street was good. There's a good breakfast restaurant down there famous for a chicken dish. (it was good ) Just plan your route for going back to hotel if at night. A lot of slum areas

Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

We stayed a couple of years ago at Holiday Inn across from the Peabody. You got to see the ducks at the Peabody. Rendevous is right by the hotel. Famous for its BBQ, it's ok. More BBQ down by Beale. We had a blast on Beale listening to the music. Then go to Graceland by the main roads. My buddy took us through the hood.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:01 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, what Grandslam said. I think it's a Holiday Inn Select and two blocks from Beale St. It will be costly. BTW, don't go wondering to far off from Beale.

For a lot less the La Quinta at the airport and take a cab to Beale. It's a easy short ride to Graceland. I did find the locals considered stop signs and red lights only to be suggestions. The ride back at night was, interesting.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Bwelsh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's also a Double Tree and a Hampton within blocks of Beale Street. I know the DT has gated parking, I think most do downtown. Then you can walk to Beale and not worry about the bikes or having a few beers.

BBQ - Rendevous, Blues City Cafe. Huey's is good for burgers, can't beat Gus's Fried Chicken!

Old 04-28-2015, 07:41 PM
irons
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally love Central BBQ which has a location near downtown, I think Rendezvous is more know for ambiance than fgood. Ask 10 ppl their favorite BBQ and you'll get 9 different answers. There is a spot to park with no problem across the street from Graceland. If you're Elvis/music fans Sun studios is a nice spot. I personally wouldn't stay near Graceland. If you can split a room(s) downtown to walk to the Peabody (check outducks and rooftop party if you time it right) or to Beale St (bike night Wed). From Beale I wouldn't suggest wandering much further South or SouthEast but that should be pretty obvious. There are some good Blues bars in Overtones Park area, LaFayette Room is a personal favorite.

Last edited by irons; 04-28-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Slick12
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irons
I personally love Central BBQ which has a location near downtown, I think Rendezvous is more know for ambiance than fgood. Ask 10 ppl their favorite BBQ and you'll get 9 different answers. There is a spot to park with no problem across the street from Graceland. If you're Elvis/music fans Sun studios is a nice spot. I personally wouldn't stay near Graceland. If you can split a room(s) downtown to walk to the Peabody (check outducks and rooftop party if you time it right) or to Beale St (bike night Wed). From Beale I wouldn't suggest wandering much further South or SouthEast but that should be pretty obvious. There are some good Blues bars in Overtones Park area, LaFayette Room is a personal favorite.
Everything irons said is good advise. Also this past weekend the new Bass Pro opened downtown on the river(formally the pyramid arena) they have a resturant, bar, & a 360 degree observation deck.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

If you want some really good BBQ, ride down I-55 to Southaven and eat at Memphis Barbeque Company.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM
thirt8spl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Great info so far - 3 of us will be stopping on a Wednesday night for bike night on Beale then staying at the Memphis KOA which is not even in the same state.

Please keep the good info and recommendations coming

Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out the Peabody Hotel. If you don't stay there at least watch the duck walk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Memphis recommendations.