Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southwestern States and PCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:44 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
+1 on southern Utah and the Grand Canyon. Missing the popular part of 1 from Cambria to Carmel will not be terrible as 1 north of San Francisco to the redwoods is just as spectacular with less traffic. Then inland on 36 or 299 is a great ride on the way home. I would also recommend 120 through Yosemite and back to Tahoe over 108 or 4.
Nice suggestions !! From SF head East on I80 to Auburn, then South on Highway 49... and then any of the routes mentioned over the sierras

Old 05-08-2015, 08:30 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Rich
Hope you miss the rain we're getting all over! Enjoy your ride and stay safe.
I caught some of the rain, but managed to avoid the worst of it. The weather for tomorrow at the Grand Canyon doesn't look that good, hopefully it ends up being okay

Originally Posted by NAILIT RK
Agree, PCH North of San Luis Obispo to San Francisco can be crowded especially in summer months. I would suggest Highway 49, North South run through the western slope of the Sierras, nice road and can be incorporated with previously mentioned routs over the sierras. Sonora Pass is a beautiful run at close to 10,000 ft http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Mfi3Y6QM&itg=1
I'm hoping that Sonora pass and 120 through Yosemite are open by the time I get there next week, right now it looks like they're both closed due to snow now. I'm regretting taking my vacation this early in the year, the weather has been ok but a little sketchy at times. It's snowing in Flagstaff right now, and I plan on riding through there in the morning on my way to the Grand Canyon

Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

There is a low pressure system dropping rain and snow in southern California, parts of the Sierra and the southwest in general right now. Tioga and Sonora were open earlier this week. It is likely the snow will be cleared in the next day or so and the roads should be open again real soon. This is an unusual late season storm, but not unheard of.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Went through the Grand Canyon, Zion NP, and Bryce Canyon NP in the last three days. Almost overwhelmed by the scenery of the area, it's fantastic for a flat-country boy like me. Vegas tomorrow and maybe Thursday, and then I begin the trek west and then north.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Glad ya are enjoying the ride...

Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

There is a late season Pacific storm that is suppose to roll in tonight or tomorrow morning that his suppose to drop a bunch of snow in the Sierra. It will probably close Tioga and Sonora Pass for a day or two. Keep a close check road conditions. You can do that at this web site.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Or you can call on your phone at 1-800 427 7623 for current road conditions.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:10 AM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
There is a late season Pacific storm that is suppose to roll in tonight or tomorrow morning that his suppose to drop a bunch of snow in the Sierra. It will probably close Tioga and Sonora Pass for a day or two. Keep a close check road conditions. You can do that at this web site.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi

Or you can call on your phone at 1-800 427 7623 for current road conditions.
Thanks for the heads up, I should have checked that before I decided to end my day in Bishop, CA. I ended up here after deciding to go through Death Valley, hoping to take a couple days to see Yosemite and ride the Sonora and Tioga passes. The passes are closed right now, so I'll have to come up with a plan now. I appreciate you taking the time to post the link and the phone number!

Old 05-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

The passes will likely be open soon, maybe today. Keep checking.

If they are closed when you read this and want to get on the road, you have a nice alternative. Ride north and come west on Route 88 and then back south to Yosemite on Route 49. It is a long ride but spectacular in places. Or you can explore the Lake Tahoe area.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:31 AM
jesstergoodwin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually...if it is open....I'd take 89 west just south of Topaz Lake. I always run that pass when I'm down in the area .

Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 AM
jesstergoodwin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if you're stuck...Lee Vining is a cool place to hang out. Mono Lake is nice and make sure to grab a bite to eat at the Whoa Nellie Deli (in the gas station right after you turn onto 120. If you go up the hill from the gas station there is an overlook of Mono Lake.

Quick Reply: Southwestern States and PCH