Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southwestern States and PCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:20 PM
hdgeno777
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Southwestern States and PCH

Hi all, just found out yesterday that I'll be taking my vacation early this year as we are a little slow at work. This way I'll be back in time for when the busy season hits again.

Unfortunately I haven't really had time to do much of any research, was hoping to do that in the coming weeks. The plan is to leave Monday and stay away until the 26th or 27th of May (sister is getting married on the 28th and she'd kill me if I didn't show up).

Southern Utah, Arizona, New Mexico (four corners at least), Nevada, and California will all be incorporated into the trip somehow. I'm guessing that I'll be returning north up the PCH, just to give it another couple of weeks to warm up.

Looking for any suggestions on things that I absolutely should see, places to stay/eat, really anything you folks feel compelled to share. I'll be riding a yellow 2013 Ultra Limited with Alberta tags, say hello if you happen to see me on the road.

I'll probably be blogging the trip as well, feel free to click the link in my sig to read the daily reports

Geno

Old 05-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

There are a million possible things to suggest to you but I'll just stay with one. The southern half of Utah. It has the most spectacular scenery in the country. There are five national parks, Canyonlands, Arches, Capital Reef, Bryce and Zion. Plus riding the Escanalte Ridge. All are spectacular.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 PM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

See Chaco Culture and Mesa Verde. http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm

Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 AM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Thank you both for the suggestions, it looks like I'll need quite a few days in southern Utah just to see the basics. I'm fine with that actually, as I want to take in as much scenery as possible. Last year I put on a ton of miles riding almost coast to coast and back across North America, and though it was awesome, it was almost too much for one trip (would do it again though).

The goal is to see southern Utah, the Grand Canyon, and then beyond that I want to take in what I can in California as I begin to loop back north. It's looking more and more like I'll only get some of the Pacific coast as I'd like to go up 395 in California and take in Death Valley and Yosemite. Things could obviously change once I actually get down there.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

+1 on southern Utah and the Grand Canyon. Missing the popular part of 1 from Cambria to Carmel will not be terrible as 1 north of San Francisco to the redwoods is just as spectacular with less traffic. Then inland on 36 or 299 is a great ride on the way home. I would also recommend 120 through Yosemite and back to Tahoe over 108 or 4.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 05-03-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
+1 on southern Utah and the Grand Canyon. Missing the popular part of 1 from Cambria to Carmel will not be terrible as 1 north of San Francisco to the redwoods is just as spectacular with less traffic. Then inland on 36 or 299 is a great ride on the way home. I would also recommend 120 through Yosemite and back to Tahoe over 108 or 4.
Excellent suggestions.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard the million dollar highway just north of Durango Co. is a great ride. We have a group of 6 that will be riding through Southern Ut (Canyon Lands) and 4 corners over the weekend of 5/16 - 5/19. I've lived in UT 30 years and have yet to see all the incredible scenery the state has to offer, so over the course of the last few years, we do a trip every spring.

For your Grand Canyon section, be prepared for crowds and long lines. I suggest touring the south rim of the grand canyon park, but starting from the east, rather than the route in from Williams AZ. You're going against traffic and won't have to sit on your bike for an hour waiting to pay your toll. Also, Williams AZ is an INCREDIBLE town. If you can plan a stay over there, it is great.

We're staying in Kanab, UT then Durango CO, then Moab, in that order on those days. If you happen to be in the area, I'll by happy to buy you a frosty beverage!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM
hdgeno777
Tourer

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
Thanks for the advice man, makes me feel better about missing the 1 south of San Francisco. I've been thinking of coming up 395 after coming through Death Valley, and then heading west on 120 through Yosemite. I miss a lot of California that way, but there's always next year to take in some of what I've missed.

Originally Posted by Ultra Rich
I've heard the million dollar highway just north of Durango Co. is a great ride. We have a group of 6 that will be riding through Southern Ut (Canyon Lands) and 4 corners over the weekend of 5/16 - 5/19. I've lived in UT 30 years and have yet to see all the incredible scenery the state has to offer, so over the course of the last few years, we do a trip every spring.

For your Grand Canyon section, be prepared for crowds and long lines. I suggest touring the south rim of the grand canyon park, but starting from the east, rather than the route in from Williams AZ. You're going against traffic and won't have to sit on your bike for an hour waiting to pay your toll. Also, Williams AZ is an INCREDIBLE town. If you can plan a stay over there, it is great.

We're staying in Kanab, UT then Durango CO, then Moab, in that order on those days. If you happen to be in the area, I'll by happy to buy you a frosty beverage!
That's great advice on the Grand Canyon, something that I'll for sure keep in mind as sitting on the bike for an hour doesn't sound like much fun. Good to hear Williams is a good town to stay over, I may end up there for a night. I'm not sure that I'll still be in Utah or Arizona by the time you guys roll through, probably further west by then, but you never know.

Three days into the trip so far, and I'm finally close to where the real fun begins for me. Weather has been all over the place, hopefully I get sunny skies and warmth in Utah and Arizona over the next few days

Old 05-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Hope you miss the rain we're getting all over! Enjoy your ride and stay safe.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:40 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree, PCH North of San Luis Obispo to San Francisco can be crowded especially in summer months. I would suggest Highway 49, North South run through the western slope of the Sierras, nice road and can be incorporated with previously mentioned routs over the sierras. Sonora Pass is a beautiful run at close to 10,000 ft http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...Mfi3Y6QM&itg=1

Quick Reply: Southwestern States and PCH