Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best GPS Software for Planning Custom Routes

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Rainmaker2014
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a garmin it's ok but you really have to pay attention to it I have had it change routing in the middle of a run....The best for me is old school buy a map. take note's and ride

Old 05-15-2015, 10:50 AM
jesstergoodwin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use RouteConverter: http://www.routeconverter.de/home/en . You need to have java installed for it to run...but it's really slick. Uses Google maps (yeah...you can switch to satellite while routing to check for gravel ) and exports to a bizillion different formats. (I use CoPilot on my phone as my GPS because it allows me to load custom routes...but it also exports to .gpx which is what I think most Garmin products use).

I've learned as in one other response in this thread....to always make sure to put in waypoints near (but not right on) every turn I want to make. Otherwise, a GPS program might take you on a different route as it recalculates . If you put the waypoint right ON the turn...then your GPS might be recalculating at the time that it should be telling you to turn which isn't good either.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:13 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 305 Likes on 193 Posts

I use Google Maps and HD Ride planner.

Google maps for speedy trip routing, and HD Ride planner to finalize and DL to my Garmin 660.

Also I make MS Excel sheets with Google riding time, plus 10 minute per fuel stop, plus a lunch hour [or whatever] and plan a day that way. I keep the hotel notes on the right hand side of the sheet.

Sure it is overplanning, but it helps the winter pass.

If you PM me I can email you a copy.

Otherwise, just have a general idea of routing, type the citys in you want / need to go to, and let the sun and weather lead you.

Stop when you gotta, ride when you wanna.

Have a good one
H

Old 05-15-2015, 02:31 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Robertwy - I was actually able to upload my custom route to my 350LM with no problems. I have created and uploaded 5 days of my trip thus far and I have double checked each route on the Garmin and it matches exactly what I have created on BaseCamp.
I could upload the routes which looked OK when I previewed them, but they always messed up when I was actually navigating them. Maybe that was before I got comfortable with BaseCamp and I did something wrong.

Hope it works for you.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
*****PLEASE NOTE*****
The Garmin 350 will not accept custom routes. Trust me, I own one and fought with it for weeks. I finally called Garmin support and it was determined that it will not navigate a custom route, even though you can upload it. It acts like it will navigate your route but it does not. It will navigate waypoint to waypoint that you enter on the device itself. Back when I was a Goldwing rider I used a Garmin 550 but let it go with the bike. It worked perfectly so I couldn't figure out the 350 until I talked to Garmin.

I finally gave up and bought a 665 which is way too expensive, but it is waterproof and I upload mp3's into it and play through my Harley radio.

The best way to get a custom route is using either Basecamp (a PIA to learn) or the Harley Ride Planner. After you upload the route to the device, preview it to make sure it is correct as desired. If not, you will have to add additional via points to force it to follow your desired route and upload again.

I've successfully added a 13 day trip on the 665. Each day is it's own custom route and it's worked flawlessly.

Let me know if I can help. I know how frustrating it is.
I have found base camp to be excruciatingly difficult to learn.

1) After spending an embarrassing amount of days (not hours) but days it is still frustrating.

If I am going up the turnpike 200 miles, it takes me off the turnpike over to I-95 at every f'ing exit. I have the setting to ALLOW EVERYTHING, the turpike as well. how the hell do you STOP basecamp from constantly trying to change the root of where you are going without using 50,000 waypoint?

The HD Ride Planner is 1 of the BEST. Do u know how to convert the HD GPX file into BaseCamp?

BuzzCap7

Old 05-18-2015, 12:15 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I have found base camp to be excruciatingly difficult to learn.

1) After spending an embarrassing amount of days (not hours) but days it is still frustrating.

If I am going up the turnpike 200 miles, it takes me off the turnpike over to I-95 at every f'ing exit. I have the setting to ALLOW EVERYTHING, the turpike as well. how the hell do you STOP basecamp from constantly trying to change the root of where you are going without using 50,000 waypoint?

The HD Ride Planner is 1 of the BEST. Do u know how to convert the HD GPX file into BaseCamp?

BuzzCap7

Both HD Ride Planner and BaseCamp use the .gpx format. There's not a real easy way to save a route in Ride Planner to your hard drive, but it can be done.

Create your desired route in Ride Planner and save it.
Then click on "GPS Sync".
When the Sync window opens, click on the "Manual Mode" tab.
Then click on the orange button that says "Save as GPX File"
That opens a window to name your route.
After you name your route, click on the orange "Export Stops and Waypoints" button.
That sends the .gpx file to my "Downloads" folder. (I'm using Windows 8) It may be different on your machine. It may ask you where to save it. At any rate, you can then open this file in BaseCamp.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:50 PM
BuzzCap7

Both HD Ride Planner and BaseCamp use the .gpx format. There's not a real easy way to save a route in Ride Planner to your hard drive, but it can be done.

Create your desired route in Ride Planner and save it.
Then click on "GPS Sync".
When the Sync window opens, click on the "Manual Mode" tab.
Then click on the orange button that says "Save as GPX File"
That opens a window to name your route.
After you name your route, click on the orange "Export Stops and Waypoints" button.
That sends the .gpx file to my "Downloads" folder. (I'm using Windows 8) It may be different on your machine. It may ask you where to save it. At any rate, you can then open this file in BaseCamp.
Thank you my friend but I have all of that down just fine.

My issue that is annoying as hell, is I would put together a ride let's say up the turnpike. The software will try to take me off of the turnpike at every, every, every exit.

I have the settings allowing for the turnpike and interstate and major roads.

Or I would be anywhere trying to stay on the same road over a long distance and no matter what road I am choosing it would take me off the road over and over and over and over again.

Believe it or not, there is one road going down to Key West from end to end. I rooted myself from one end to the other and twice it try to take me off of the main road into the side streets. Twice!

The issue above is what is driving me crazy. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

BuzzCap7

Old 05-18-2015, 04:55 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Thank you my friend but I have all of that down just fine.

My issue that is annoying as hell, is I would put together a ride let's say up the turnpike. The software will try to take me off of the turnpike at every, every, every exit.

I have the settings allowing for the turnpike and interstate and major roads.

Or I would be anywhere trying to stay on the same road over a long distance and no matter what road I am choosing it would take me off the road over and over and over and over again.

Believe it or not, there is one road going down to Key West from end to end. I rooted myself from one end to the other and twice it try to take me off of the main road into the side streets. Twice!

The issue above is what is driving me crazy. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

BuzzCap7
Is it doing this in Ride Planner or on your device once you've transferred it?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:29 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

I forgot to ask, which GPS unit are you using?

Old 05-18-2015, 08:23 PM
BuzzCap7

I forgot to ask, which GPS unit are you using?
I have the Gramin 590.

It is doing it online. <-- Mainly.

In the GPS as well but rarely. It is the online issue that is driving me nuts.

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: Best GPS Software for Planning Custom Routes