Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Best Rides/Destinations

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia.
Arcadia National Park in Maine on the way home.
Virginia and West Virginia- great roads.
Just looked up these places and they look promising, but I will have to wait until I can make trips longer than a week. Unfortunately, I still have to work for a living.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:43 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie09
After seeing some of the trip reports in this sub-forum, I may have to give Arkansas another shot. The last trip I went across the Talimena Scenic drive from Oklahoma into Arkansas and then North to Eureka Springs. Mostly back roads and the roads could have used some work. I may need to head more over to the east to find hwy 123 that I am hearing about.
after Colorado... Rocky Mt high
I been trying to get over to CO for the last few years.... soon. A victim of that 2 days out/2 days back thing you mentioned on another post.

Also....From what I read, CO riding season is much shorter than AR. Snow on the high passes until June sometimes.

Last edited by road king Q; 05-13-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ultra Rich
Utah has some of the most amazing and contrasting rides I could imagine.
When I returned from Carson City, I cut across on Hwy 50 into Utah. I agree, I would have never imagined the state looks like it does. I ended up heading south on none other than hwy 191 and stopped off at the Arches National Park. I never realized that this was the same 191 that I just recently returned from until I started looking at a map before my last trip. I would have loved to explore this area a little more, but I had already stayed an extra day in Carson City and was laying down some miles to get home.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:06 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

If you can do nine days West Virginia and the Blue Ridge Parkway is certainly worth a look. I would skip the Natchez Trail. I would like to see the Magnolia trees bloom in Mississippi some time.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I would skip the Natchez Trail. I would like to see the Magnolia trees bloom in Mississippi some time.
I have done most of the Natchez Trail when I was headed out east. It was OK, but kind of a boring ride...LOL

Old 05-20-2015, 07:34 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

I enjoyed the Natchez Trace. It is a lazy ride, but with enough cool roadside stuff to keep it interesting. The highlight for me was the Meriweather Lewis memorial (he is a hero to me, and I have tried to travel to as many of the historical sites attributed to him as possible).

However, the NT does not even begin to compare to SLD/BRP, or West VA.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by road king Q
after Colorado... Rocky Mt high
I been trying to get over to CO for the last few years.... soon. A victim of that 2 days out/2 days back thing you mentioned on another post.

Also....From what I read, CO riding season is much shorter than AR. Snow on the high passes until June sometimes.

It has snowed almost every day in the mountains this month. At this rate, it won't just be snow on the ground in June...it'll be snowing in June.

It's been a very strange spring. I rode more warm, sunny days in march than I have in may.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Texas: Hill Country and the twisted sisters
Mississippi: Natchez Trace
Florida: Overseas Hwy to Southern-most point
S.Carolina: Followed the Savannah River from Savannah all the way into NC
N. Carolina: BRP, Great Smokies, Cherohala, Deal's Gap
Virginia: BRP and Skyline Drive through Shenandoah
DC: GW Memorial Pkwy
Arkansas: Pigtrail, 123, Talimena, Hot Springs, Eureka Springs
N. Mexico: Santa Fe, Taos, Angel Fire, Cimarron Canyon, ABQ
Utah: Hwy 50, Provo, SLC, Park City, Moab, Zion, Escalante
Nevada: Hwy 50, Tahoe
Cali: Sequoia, Bay Area, King's Canyon, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree
S. Dakota: Black Hills, Rushmore, Badlands
Nebraska: ScottsBluff
Colorado: RMNP, Estes Park, Ouray-Silverton-Durango $1M hwy, Black Canyon, Pikes Peak, been over most of the high passes, etc

The only ones I think I'd never go back to are the first two. Texas hill country is okay but it's in the middle of a big flat hot boring state. And the Natchez was too slow and boring. I enjoyed the historical markers along the way but they all started to blend in after a while. I love Civil War history but prefer the battlefields in VA/MD/PA/DE etc.

All the other places were well worth the trip and are well-known and visited for a reason.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:41 AM
carcruizer1955
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode Hwy 20 across the top of Washington State last year on one of my legs of a 3 week trip. It was absolutely beautiful.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While you were in the Flagstaff area, did you do the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, perhaps Imperial Point to Cape Royal? One of my favorites. Also agree there is much to see in Southern Utah, especially in the cooler months. Plan for your retirement, so you can make it up the Pacific Coast, and yes, Washington Scenic 20 is high on my list if I ever get that far without being distracted by Oregon 101, Crater Lake, Jedediah Redwoods, .... but I digress. So much to see. A Wonderful country, this USA.

Quick Reply: The Best Rides/Destinations