Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

spokane to phoenix

Old 05-16-2015, 10:30 AM
deansowards
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spokane to phoenix

Hey guys,

Last year my summer trip was from Phx to Spokane and then to Portland and down the coast to So Cal... This year I want my return trip to go thru Montana and Yellowstone, Grand Targhee mountains and Jackson... I've done the Beartooth Pass into Cody a couple times and the Gallatin river is very cool...

Any suggestions??

Thx

Old 05-16-2015, 01:43 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Check out leaving Spokane and riding east to Coeur d'Alene on I-90 and take ID97 south around the lake to St. Maries, ID. From St. Maries head south on ID3 to Kendrick, ID but turn just north of Kendrick on P-1 to Orofino. That ride east out of Orofino on US12 is a fine one along the Clearwater/Lochsa and rivers across Lolo Pass into Missoula. Just rode that last week and the roads are in fine shape.

Then from Missoula, take a look at a ride I did year before last. Missoula-Three Forks-W. Yellowstone on 287-US20 west to Ashton via Scenic Mesa Falls----then those state roads that get you to Soda Springs. You'll be on the west side of the Tetons on the way to Driggs and Victor and will go by the entrance to Grand Targhee Ski area and the turn for Teton Pass to Jackson. Some fine 2-lane stuff here with way less of that summer national park traffic.

edit: Should also put in a plug for Konkleville Motel at Orofino. Great place, very biker friendly, reasonable rates, pool and a daily supper time steak fry.

Last edited by mtgriz; 05-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM
golfmech
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Driggs Idaho. Lots of great riding here. Mtgriz talked about some really great roads. Can't go wrong on any of them. Send me a PM when you get close. Maybe we can ride.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Hwy 2 to Hwy 200 to get to Missoula. I did it backwards a few years back.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:25 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Check out leaving Spokane and riding east to Coeur d'Alene on I-90 and take ID97 south around the lake to St. Maries, ID. From St. Maries head south on ID3 to Kendrick, ID but turn just north of Kendrick on P-1 to Orofino. That ride east out of Orofino on US12 is a fine one along the Clearwater/Lochsa and rivers across Lolo Pass into Missoula. Just rode that last week and the roads are in fine shape.

Then from Missoula, take a look at a ride I did year before last. Missoula-Three Forks-W. Yellowstone on 287-US20 west to Ashton via Scenic Mesa Falls----then those state roads that get you to Soda Springs. You'll be on the west side of the Tetons on the way to Driggs and Victor and will go by the entrance to Grand Targhee Ski area and the turn for Teton Pass to Jackson. Some fine 2-lane stuff here with way less of that summer national park traffic.

edit: Should also put in a plug for Konkleville Motel at Orofino. Great place, very biker friendly, reasonable rates, pool and a daily supper time steak fry.

Sometimes I read a post without paying attention to who wrote it. I read this one and thought, "That sounds like a great route. Anything that includes US 12 up to Lolo Pass is outstanding. I wonder what mtgriz would think of the suggested route from Missoula to West Yellowstone." Then I realized . . .

OP, take that route.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:04 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Sometimes I read a post without paying attention to who wrote it. I read this one and thought, "That sounds like a great route. Anything that includes US 12 up to Lolo Pass is outstanding. I wonder what mtgriz would think of the suggested route from Missoula to West Yellowstone." Then I realized . . .

OP, take that route.
...well, OP said he'd been down through the Gallatin Canyon and that ride south of Three Forks through Ennis, etc. would be a nice contrast. Much wider valley on a road in excellent shape with many sweepers that are just right for nailing it in 5th on the exits, and running it into the 90's on the straights before hitting 6th.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:35 PM
ToppDogg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try and get in Lolo Pass.