Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route 66

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Slow Road
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oatmans mules were all hiding when we went through a week ago. But Kingman east is a cool stretch you don't want to miss.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts
Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 AM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

Palo Duro Canyon in nort Texas panhandle, second largest canyo in Continal US and you can ride down into it

Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I think that Route 66 is a myth. It no longer really exist. I have said this many times on here. Spend the time going through the Black Hills, then to Colorado and on to Southern Utah. Then you can hit the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Jerome, and then on to Death Valley. But hey, I'm in the minority on the value of riding 66. California, Colorado, Utah and Arizona have some great rides that are far more memorable than the mother road.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I think that Route 66 is a myth. It no longer really exist. I have said this many times on here. Spend the time going through the Black Hills, then to Colorado and on to Southern Utah. Then you can hit the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Jerome, and then on to Death Valley. But hey, I'm in the minority on the value of riding 66. California, Colorado, Utah and Arizona have some great rides that are far more memorable than the mother road.

It's something you can say you've done. 66 is touristy, but there's a lot of interesting history there and if you have the time, why not. I'm going next year as part of an 8,000 mile trip.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
It's something you can say you've done. 66 is touristy, but there's a lot of interesting history there and if you have the time, why not. I'm going next year as part of an 8,000 mile trip.

Exactly. There might be better places to ride, but this ride is iconic and I don't discourage anyone to not do it if they have the urge. I have been all the way from Jackson St. in Chicago to Santa Monica and it was a great experience. This is especially true if you take a few side trips to see some other sights.

Bill

Old 05-28-2015, 05:10 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Well if you're going to buy the book, "Mother Road" about route 66, you might as well buy a book about motorcycle touring in Colorado, Utah and Arizona prior to making your decision final.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:11 PM
DMWyant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to avoid buying "guidebooks" I prefer to hear the experience of seasoned riders who have done the route I plan on taking. I have gotten some great tips on side destinations etc that may not be in a book. I really appreciate all the input everyone.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:38 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DMWyant
I try to avoid buying "guidebooks" I prefer to hear the experience of seasoned riders who have done the route I plan on taking. I have gotten some great tips on side destinations etc that may not be in a book. I really appreciate all the input everyone.

I have had good luck with touring books, especially ones that are motorcycle specific. Arizona has a good one as does Arkansas. I'm sure there are some equally as good for New Mexico and Colorado. It's still also good to get as much info as you can from people who know the areas.

Bill

Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 AM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Its nice to get info from people, but when I drove Rt. 66 in Arizona I was glad I had read up because many of the "iconic" places I wanted to see I would have missed if I had not known what they were, where they were and what exit to turn off. Every single side place you want to see is in the better books - nothing is left out.

I haven't heard anyone here tell you about the Gemini Rocket Man, the Petrified desert, the capital of neon hotels, the Blue Swallow, twin arrows, the crator, Roy's, Hackberry, the snowcap, the blue whale, the cadillac car ranch, where to get off and ride the "historic" Rt. 66 highways that are left, etc., etc., ie., the things that make Rt. 66 an iconic ride.

Without "knowledge," you'll still have a nice ride on I-40 though. I plan to do the whole route someday.

Quick Reply: Route 66