Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route 66

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM
DMWyant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Route 66

Planning to do the historic Route 66 run. Any tips any must see places that I may otherwise miss? I will have 3 weeks to kill so any side trips should be good to go.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

As you pass through Arizona, consider a brief side trip to see Meteor Crater...the slightly-less-famous hole-in-the-ground in that state...well worth the time.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

You may get some ideas of things to see from this link.

http://www.eaglerider.com/motorcycle...otorcycle-tour

Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 PM
shadymutha
Stage II

You should definitely check out Oatman, AZ. It's a small tourist town near Bullhead and Kingman. Used to be a gold mining town until the mine shut down. Miners left and left behind their burros who now have full run of the town, walking through the streets, into shops, etc. kinda cool. There's also a shop there that has a bunch of old Harley's up on the second floor to check out. It's a neat, fun stop along the route.

Last edited by shadymutha; 05-20-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 AM
Iron Vaquero
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In 2013, me and mi 'manos did the, "Oklahoma Is OK" Run, that comprised mainly of exploring Route 66 in Oklahoma. Here is a link to my blog posts about that trip:
http://boltthrower-infidel0341.blogs...roduction.html
I will post up more specific information for you later today; stop here for breakfast, Fat Elvis's, in Yukon, OK before heading over to the National Cowboy Museum in OKC...

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

A side trip of about 50 miles from Williams, Az. to Grand Canyon. Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Tx., Good 66 museum in Clinton, Ok., Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City, "Standing on the Corner" Winslow, Az. old store in Hackberry, Az., Oatman, Az., Museum in Barstow, Ca., side trip up to Hoover Dam from Kingman, Az. In Kansas City, Mo. a stop at Gail's Harley Davidson will be worth your time. Best dealership I have ever been in. Tripp's HD in Amarillo is also a great dealership.

I have ridden the road all the way from Jackson St. in Chicago to Santa Monica, but there is a lot of the eastern stuff that I don't remember. Get the book "The Mother Road" by Michael Wallis and you will have all the info you need to tour the road.

"Standing on the Corner"

Store in Hackberry, Az.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 05-21-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 AM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would highly suggest a stay over in Williams, AZ if possible. Great little town and a break from the heat of AZ in the summer.

I know Oatman has been mentioned, but if I had to do it again, I would probably pass. Yes it is unique and interesting. We thought it's 30 miles out of the way, what the heck! Well 30 miles on 10 mph switch backs and rough roads along with Rental RV's on a VERY narrow road way begins to sway my opinion on the cost/benefit. The 30 mile detour will take you a few hours, so if you have time, it's cool, if your pressed and its 95 degrees outside. I may suggest against it? My opinion ONLY!

From Kingman to Williams area is pretty quiet. Not a lot going on. That's the only section I'm familiar with. Hope you have a great trip.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:45 PM
DMWyant
Tourer

Thanks everyone. I am thinking it is going to be a great trip later this summer last week of august and first two weeks of September for the 66 run then up the coast and back to Fargo along the Northern Trail. I figure it to be about a 5-6 week total trip.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Iron Vaquero
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OKlahoma has some very good resources for visitors-their maps are excellent! Here are several other places that we enjoyed in OK: Will Rogers Museum:
URL="http://www.willrogers.com/"]http://www.willrogers.com/[/URL]
JM Davis Firearms Museum: http://www.thegunmuseum.com/
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge:
http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Wichita_Mountains/
Please feel free to contact me with any further questions about Oklahoma!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

There are a lot of great books on Amazon. Order a couple and pick out the sites you want to see in each state - there's lot to see and you can choose what you would like to see. I think without the books and educating yourself a bit you'll miss a lot of it. Get the maps - they will tell you exactly which exit to get off and directions to what you want to see. I really liked the "Here It Is" maps - its a complete set with a map of each state and the exit for each attraction with detailed directions once you get into the little towns. There is a lot to see.

I would also stop and see Monument Valley on the border of AZ and Utah and take a tour. I would also visit the Grand Canyon. Williams, AZ has a train ride we took to the Grand Canyon, the bus took us to lunch then drove us to great views for pics. I really liked Williams - great town.

Maybe a day or two in Santa Fe or a detour to Las Vegas also - a lot of people do that.

Sounds like a great trip coming up.

Quick Reply: Route 66