Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Got the itch. Next trip!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by 9one1
I did that Durango- Montrose section during my trip last year, one of my favorites!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...045-miles.html
Oh how I wish I had never seen and just read this ride report. Now you have my wheels turning in my head for some new adventures! That was a really great write up and I sure would love to visit most of those places. I may have to break them into sections though because being self employed and the only employee 19 days off ain't possible unless I'm laid up in the hospital or in the morgue lol

Last edited by tnriverluver; 06-16-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:02 AM
Streetin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did the Durango to Montrose stretch last week as a part of a 14 day 4500 run to California. Traffic was light but it rained off and on the whole stretch. Great ride. Enjoy.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:04 AM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
600 miles a day on some of the roads you are going to be on are going to be very long days. These routes are in the mountains and you are only going to average 40 to 45 MPH if you are a good mountain rider. Looks like about 600 from Tulsa to Taos, and 600 back to Tulsa from Raton. That means you are going to have to do 600 miles of mountain riding on day two to complete your route. Not trying to rain on your parade, but that is a bunch. If you stop at all you are looking at a 15 hour day. If you have any weather, and that is a real possibility in the mountains, you are going to be even slower.

Just trying to let you know what you might be in for. Be safe and have fun.

Bill
I think you are giving some good advice, Bill. I see these iron-azzed guys tear down the road passed me pretty regularly. I am kicked back on a scenic pullover soaking up a wonderful view and they rip on by me intent on getting their 600 or 1,000 miles for the day. This Retirement gig I am playing right now gives me the leisure to fully enjoy the beauty and smell the roses, and Thank God I am loving it. 600 miles a day is just not my thing.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
600 miles a day is just not my thing.

I'm not opposed to 600 mile days, and do some on a regular basis if I need to be somewhere, there is nothing to see, and road conditions allow. In fact if I was doing this trip, I would hammer 600+ miles from Tulsa to the area I wanted to ride in, but not try to do 500 or 600 after I got there.

I was just pointing out that 600 miles per day in the areas that the OP is talking about is going to be very difficult. On a lot of these roads you can average no more than 40-45 mph, and there is always unpredictable weather in the mountains that will slow you down more. You will usually always have some rain somewhere in the higher elevations every day.

I am leaving today for the Colorado State HOG Rally in Gunnison, Co. My route is over the Million Dollar Highway and the distance is only 215 miles, but I am figuring on around 5 1/2 or 6 hours.

Bill

Old 06-18-2015, 02:23 PM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Oh how I wish I had never seen and just read this ride report. Now you have my wheels turning in my head for some new adventures! That was a really great write up and I sure would love to visit most of those places. I may have to break them into sections though because being self employed and the only employee 19 days off ain't possible unless I'm laid up in the hospital or in the morgue lol

Hey thanks I appreciate it! Yea getting time off for my job is no easy task. I'm working a min of 60 hours a week until my next vacation begins on July 25th. 21 days this time with my wife riding her own bike.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not opposed to 600 mile days, and do some on a regular basis if I need to be somewhere, there is nothing to see, and road conditions allow. In fact if I was doing this trip, I would hammer 600+ miles from Tulsa to the area I wanted to ride in, but not try to do 500 or 600 after I got there.
Bill
I do understand the need for miles on occasion. I get myself across Texas and Eastern New Mexico as quickly as I can. And, there is something to be said for the hypnotic effect and sense of well being of a smooth running machine putting little white lines behind me. Been there, Done that. And then, sometimes I have just gotten caught on a long stretch without a good place to stop (poor planning). But I don't think I ever deliberately Planned on 600 miles a day for the entire trip. Occasional long runs can be satisfying and necessary to accomplish a goal, but I would just like to encourage the OP to allow some time to enjoy New Mexico. Your pictures made me regret the 428 miles in one day from Albequerque to Jacob Lake, missing Canyon de Chelly.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:52 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

3 days is all I have, so 3 days is what has to work, I'm there for the roads. Looks like I am solo for this one momma is worried about altitude, she has asthma and the ride through the pass at Mt Charleston when we were in Vegas last year made her pretty ill so she doesn't want to go on this one.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
3 days is all I have, so 3 days is what has to work, I'm there for the roads. Looks like I am solo for this one momma is worried about altitude, she has asthma and the ride through the pass at Mt Charleston when we were in Vegas last year made her pretty ill so she doesn't want to go on this one.

If you wife has breathing problems and is used to near sea level altitudes, it is probably not a good idea for her to try this without a couple of days to acclimate. Some of you routes will be over 10,000ft.

Have a good ride.

Bill

Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member

If you wife has breathing problems and is used to near sea level altitudes, it is probably not a good idea for her to try this without a couple of days to acclimate. Some of you routes will be over 10,000ft.

Have a good ride.

Bill
Thanks, a lot is hinging on the forecast now. It appears to be a good chance of a wet weekend, which will change my plans.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member

1.5 days of sitting here in the office waiting for Friday AM to pop smoke.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got the itch. Next trip!