Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ridge Parkway Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:33 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blue Ridge Parkway Advice

I'll be in Waynesboro, VA visiting relatives next month and have some extra days to kill so we thought we'd try to ride the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway (first time). We would have 3 days to spend on the Parkway but need to start and end back at Waynesboro.

Can anyone give some advice on things to see or places to stop at along the way? How about good hotels/lodges close to the Parkway that we can stay at for the two nights we'll be on the road?

We want to take our time and will probably only do 250-300 miles per day, depending on how many times we stop along the way.

I was thinking about maybe getting as far as Boone, NC on day 1 and finding a place somewhere in that area where we can stay. Then going farther south on day 2 (perhaps to Ashville, NC) and back to Boone that night. Then return to Waynesboro on day 3. We were thinking about spending the whole three days on the Parkway (down and back) but if there are other good routes for the return I'd be open to that as well.

Any advice or suggestions from BRP veterans is appreciated.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:54 PM
blue flht
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

info@pisgahinn,com and switzerlandInn.com are 2 good places to stay.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Stewart11
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Parkway

If you're riding as far as Boone the first day,about 20 miles before you get there right off the parkway on Hwy 18 are 2 biker bars and motels that are good.They are right across from each other and less than quarter mile off the parkway.One is called Station's Inn and the other is Freeborne's.They both have a website.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:14 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,314 Likes on 2,159 Posts

I would make a loop.....Parkway to the southern end (best part imo), back to I-40, north to I-81, back to Waynesboro......easy 3 day ride.....

Old 06-19-2015, 10:33 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bentryder
I would make a loop....
I would agree with that! NC portion of the BRP is IMO much better ride, more scenic.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:36 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain

Originally Posted by blue flht
info@pisgahinn,com and switzerlandInn.com are 2 good places to stay.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 AM
rider718
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just rode the Shenandoah National Park and the entire BRP last week. IMO the Shenandoah was a far better ride - it cost $15 per bike to get in but the roads and scenery were much better. 109 or so miles at 35 mph took approx. 3.5 hrs. to ride.

The first half of the BRP was a bit disappointing. The second half was great. We split it at Fancygap / Hillsville. Stayed at the Quality Inn in Hillsville and it was very good. They also served a good continental breakfast in the morning. Plenty of restaurants to eat at as well.

I have stayed at Little Switzerland and really liked it but its location was not workable in our ride.

We did not stop much as a lot of the pull offs and stops looked the same. We stopped at Craggy Gardens and also at the highest elevation point (lower end, approx. 35 miles from the end of the BRP).

I suggest you stop at the first visitor center you come across to get a map. They also have a separate paper for gas stops. There was also one closure on the BRP. The detour was well marked and only a few miles long / around. It was at about mm 260 or so.

You can get online and look up real time road updates, etc. Just google BRP road conditions and that should get you to the site.

Our ride was 1477 miles in just over 3 days. Had about one minute of sprinkles during the entire ride.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:03 PM
skibum0607
Cruiser

That's great information. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:07 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I also agree that the southern part of the BRP is the nicest.

If you're just riding and sightseeing, I'd try to make it to Cherokee, NC and then over to Maggie Valley for a tour of the Wheels Through Time Museum.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

The BRP is a very nice ride overall, but the southern portion between about Asheville and the southern terminus is the most interesting to me with it twisties and vista views. I rode it end-to-end bottom to top a couple of years ago. Made it about half-way and spent the night. I left early the next morning, and learned a lesson I won't forget. Don't leave early in the morning heading to the top, because you frequently find yourself looking directly into blinding sun until late morning. Your right hand will be on the handlebars through the curve, and your left will be shading your eyes...even with dark sunglasses.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway Advice