Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Here would be my suggestion. Leave home without a map. Just get on the bike and ride. You know enough about the shape of the country and there will be road signs. Let your spirit guide you. Stay off the Interstates if you can and stay mainly on smaller roads that go through towns. Stop often, talk to people and see what's happening. When you have less than a week left to your ride, point your bike in the general direction of home and enjoy the ride. I can guarantee you'll come back a different person.
He couldn't have said it any better. I'd love to do a ride like this...NO planning but just getting on the bike and heading west to the coast and turning right at that point. I'd like to give myself four weeks for a trip like this. Best vacations are those with no schedule to hurry me, no plans to remain flexible and a sweet bike to help me find nirvana.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:19 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

North Rim of the Grand Canyon is Wonderful during the summer. Elevation of the Kaibab Plateau is 8 to 9,000 feet, so nights are cool and days are pleasent. I had snow in June on one trip; last year I was there in July and had several nights with Temps down near 32. Humidity around 10 or 15%. Exactly what I needed, escape from SE Louisiana @ 95 degrees and 80% humidity.

But it actually can be a problem when packing light. You need a Thermorest mattress or equivalent and a good sleeping bag to be comfortable sleeping on the ground in Temps below 40. How much of Texas do you have to cross? The ride to North Rim is pure pleasure once you get out of Texas and Eastern New Mexico. I beat it across Texas and Eastern New Mexico as fast as I can go, then relax, kick back and Enjoy once I reach Albequerque.

Just picking a direction and going, with no particular itenerary, is Great way to travel in my mind. Want to avoid crime? Avoid major metropolitan areas. Only problem I have ever had with this method of "Planning" is that it is highly addictive. Road Itch can be worse than chiggers. The more you scratch, the worse the itch.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:50 AM
bballkking1
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

One of your best options to purchase gear is Sierra Trading Post. They Always have 20 to 40% off coupon codes. Enjoy your trip. Great idea not to have anything planned except your general direction and the states you want to hit.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

For camping gear, REI is the best.

http://www.rei.com/

Old 06-22-2015, 11:55 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Good luck my friend. I plan on leaving for a bit of a spiritual trip myself around August 15. Going to allow up to 6 weeks. No idea where I'm going. Leaving from MN and will just go. Possibly east, before heading west.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcal87
I'm considering taking a road trip around the country. Not really sure where i'm going to go, maybe Montana, maybe North Carolina. It's mainly a spiritual kind of thing for me as cliche as that sounds. I have never done anything like this before though and would like to get some advice. Such as how to do these the least expensive way as far as places to stay and eat and any other advice I can be given or cool places to see. Also,safety is also a major concern. Thanks in advance!
So much has been written about touring that anything I said would be redundant. Briefly... I would not camp, hotels average $65 a night for me and I love having a hot shower every morning and a free cup of coffee. For meals, I only eat twice a day: a late breakfast and an early dinner. I never spend money in convenience stores. On average, it costs me about $100 a day, not counting gas to be on the road.

My favorite thing about being on the road is being by myself. I also like to have things to do. So, I am always on my way to somewhere, usually to indulge my photography hobby; and I always have a list.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:26 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took off the last week of may for 8 days of clearing the mind time. No reservations just a list of things we wanted to do or see. Left kansas city and went thru Memphis on our way to tail of the dragon. From there we went south to Atlanta to sky dive. Hit the beaches in S Carolina and on the way home took in a Kc royals game at Wrigley. No reservations just a list of places we wanted to go and do.

I have the best fiancee in the world, never really asks what's next just enjoys the travels.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by kq2dc7
Took off the last week of may for 8 days of clearing the mind time. No reservations just a list of things we wanted to do or see. Left kansas city and went thru Memphis on our way to tail of the dragon. From there we went south to Atlanta to sky dive. Hit the beaches in S Carolina and on the way home took in a Kc royals game at Wrigley. No reservations just a list of places we wanted to go and do.

I have the best fiancee in the world, never really asks what's next just enjoys the travels.
Only on a motorcycle trip can you be heading home from South Carolina to Kansas City and go through Chicago.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:00 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a veteran of many long trips. I've done planned trips, and trips with no destination in mind. I'm doing two this year, one planned to Nova Scotia, and then when I get back to Arizona, I'm doing an unmapped ride with a good friend up to the Going To The Sun, and probably hit a bunch of Nat. Parks in Utah on the way back. I've found that they all left me with great memories. A couple of things I would consider...make sure you have the proper gear...always seems to rain when you least expect it. Allow more time than you think you'll need, especially if you are a people person. I've spent half a day talking to strangers in a coffee shop on more than one occasion! On my planned trips, I usually reserve motels, mostly because there are six of us going and we share expenses. On the unplanned trips, I usually camp two days or so, then treat myself to a motel room for a night. Breaks up the routine, and gives me a comfy bed. No matter where you go, make sure you have a good camera... and one last thing.... This will definitely get in your blood, so be prepared to scratch the itch every now and then. Happy riding!

Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 AM
RG RON
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
I'm a veteran of many long trips. I've done planned trips, and trips with no destination in mind. I'm doing two this year, one planned to Nova Scotia, and then when I get back to Arizona, I'm doing an unmapped ride with a good friend up to the Going To The Sun, and probably hit a bunch of Nat. Parks in Utah on the way back. I've found that they all left me with great memories. A couple of things I would consider...make sure you have the proper gear...always seems to rain when you least expect it. Allow more time than you think you'll need, especially if you are a people person. I've spent half a day talking to strangers in a coffee shop on more than one occasion! On my planned trips, I usually reserve motels, mostly because there are six of us going and we share expenses. On the unplanned trips, I usually camp two days or so, then treat myself to a motel room for a night. Breaks up the routine, and gives me a comfy bed. No matter where you go, make sure you have a good camera... and one last thing.... This will definitely get in your blood, so be prepared to scratch the itch every now and then. Happy riding!
Been thinking of doing a ride myself to the tail in a few weeks. Just packing some essentials and hopping on the bike to clear the mind and just enjoy life as it is. The way things are going in this country I believe it's about time to do a trip. Have read all the posts on here and agrre with all of them, sometimes a guy/gal just has to do what has to be done, ride on ride safe.

Quick Reply: Road trip advice