Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip advice

Old 06-27-2015, 10:30 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RG RON
Been thinking of doing a ride myself to the tail in a few weeks. Just packing some essentials and hopping on the bike to clear the mind and just enjoy life as it is. The way things are going in this country I believe it's about time to do a trip. Have read all the posts on here and agrre with all of them, sometimes a guy/gal just has to do what has to be done, ride on ride safe.
I did the Tail last year. Had 8 in our group. Spectacular scenery all around N.C. and Tenn. The actual "Tail" was fun, but over quickly. There is so much to see in that area. We visited The Fugitive Dam, Fontana Dam, Cheroholla Skyway, and of course, the BRP. Also did a trip to the Biltmore... pretty cool place!

Have fun, and just do it. You'll have memories that will last the rest of your life.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:48 AM
RG RON
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
I did the Tail last year. Had 8 in our group. Spectacular scenery all around N.C. and Tenn. The actual "Tail" was fun, but over quickly. There is so much to see in that area. We visited The Fugitive Dam, Fontana Dam, Cheroholla Skyway, and of course, the BRP. Also did a trip to the Biltmore... pretty cool place!

Have fun, and just do it. You'll have memories that will last the rest of your life.
Thanks, sorry for the misspell on agree, sometimes my hand gets ahead of my mind, age I guess. Will write those places down to check out if things work out for that trip. Making no plans, just packing some stuff and heading out. Thinking of staying at Robbinsville one night do the tail then staying somewhere else after the tail and even riding to see an ole military buddy of mine in Highpoint NC then maybe heading home. Thanks for the places to see/stop. Glad you enjoyed the trip, Been scoping out the youtube video's and looks kind of intimidating but speed seems to be a contributing factor in most incidents among other things. May have another friend going to if he can get away from work.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:31 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I disagree completely with not taking any maps. In fact, I would take a road atlas like the National Geographic Adventure Edition or any other atlas. Most of them denote scenic routes, so they can be very useful in staying off highways and still going in the direction you want to go. You don't need a plan, but I find road trips MUCH more enjoyable if they involve a limited amount of interstate riding. This doesn't apply as much to the southwest, where you're limited to desert highways or mining tracks, but for much of the rest of the country an atlas is invaluable.

The following 2 users liked this post by northeastconfederate:
Bricklayer (02-11-2019), deadhawg (02-08-2019)
Old 06-29-2015, 04:15 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
I disagree completely with not taking any maps.
I strongly agree with paper maps. I don't disagree about not pre-planing everything in advance but a GPS and a cell phone will only get you so far. MadMaps is a great site for regional maps. You might just sit around over a few beers in the evening looking them over to see what is in the area.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Jcal87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digging up my old thread here. I had to post pone this a couple years back due to an illness, but would like to do it again now that I have the ability to work remote. With that being said, I will need to carry a laptop and need advice on what type of tent, waterproof backpack (most important) and other light essentials. My bike is a Softail Slim with a sissy bar so not a lot of area for storage.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:06 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I toured for years with a t-bag that slid over my sissy bar and onto a removable rack. Tons of space, backpack shoulder straps that tucked away when not in use, rain cover that did the same. Easy access pockets on both sides. Sounds like just what you need.

For a tent, I recommend the REI Half Dome 2 Plus. It sleeps 2 adults, with entry on both sides of the tent so you don't have to climb over each other to get in and out. There is storage under the rain fly for your boots or other wet/muddy items you don't want inside.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,980 Likes on 1,655 Posts

What direction are you heading, or have you been thus far ?
Heading to Wyoming/Montana myself. North Rim last year, Colorado the past 3 years. But we trailer to a place (New Mexico) and ride for 5/6 days.
I wouldn't leave out without a plan, but that's me. The NAV has saved my butt a few times in a Rainstorm..

Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcal87
Digging up my old thread here. I had to post pone this a couple years back due to an illness, but would like to do it again now that I have the ability to work remote. With that being said, I will need to carry a laptop and need advice on what type of tent, waterproof backpack (most important) and other light essentials. My bike is a Softail Slim with a sissy bar so not a lot of area for storage.
Hope you get to follow through and make your trip this time. Sounds to me like you don't have any practical camping experience because you are asking advice on tent & light essentials. And you also state your storage is very limited. So, IMHO I suggest you NOT plan on camping. A trip like you are lining out isn't the time to learn what to take, how much to take, etc., etc. I used to backpack here in my own state and have also made several backpacking trips to the CO Rockies and the Tetons in WY. Really enjoyed the backpacking experiences. But...., I learned ahead of time around here what I needed, etc. I would strongly suggest you plan on staying at the economy motels during your trip. You will get a better night's sleep, and eat at a nearby restaurant, have your morning coffee and shower without hassles, not worry so much about storage space and enjoy your trip without all the planning & preparation and work regarding being able to camp. And please be sure and post up lots of pics for us from your trip.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Read [or listen] for a good taste for what you are planning: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gho...xoCeusQAvD_BwE

Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Oilhed
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Most inexpensive way to travel is camping, showers in truck stops (when needed),
eating at Mickey D's and occasionally at buffets if you can eat lots of food at one meal.
"Mom and Pop" motels off the beaten path for bad weather, with Motel 6 for urban areas.
For security, only camp in real campgrounds where lots of people.
I like diners. Get the special, whatever it is. Usually a full meal for under $10!
I prefer state or national campgrounds. Much cleaner, no rif raf and less children.
My preference is Canada or Appalachia (West Virginia). Cheaper, too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road trip advice