Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road trip advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:46 PM
Jcal87
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip advice

I'm considering taking a road trip around the country. Not really sure where i'm going to go, maybe Montana, maybe North Carolina. It's mainly a spiritual kind of thing for me as cliche as that sounds. I have never done anything like this before though and would like to get some advice. Such as how to do these the least expensive way as far as places to stay and eat and any other advice I can be given or cool places to see. Also,safety is also a major concern. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jcal87; 06-18-2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For the Spiritual? Closest to Texas, take an early Fall (Not mid summer) trip including Palo Duro Canyon Texas, Chaco Canyon New Mexico (just NW of Albuquerque New Mexico) and North Rim Grand Canyon. Tent camp in these three places to enjoy the night sky.

These are all "Dark Sky" places. On a clear Fall night you can see constellations with the naked eye, but of course bring a good pair of binoculars or a spotting scope. There is also an observatory at Chaco Canyon. Dirt roads into Chaco, but in spite of the warnings on the park Web site they were actually pretty good dirt roads. Chaco was the site of a very ancient, mystical, and sophisticated civilization. Palo Duro was the site of a decisive battle between the Plains Native Americans and the US Calvary. Grand Canyon and "Four Corners" area of the Southwest are of course rich with Native American history.

For Scenery and challenging roads? Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountains, or Appalachians. For Spiritual and challenging roads? Desert Southwest. For Safety? Stay home and watch TV on Sunday morning, stay off of that motorcycle.

I do not know you or your abilities and would not encourage you to jump in to something that is far beyond your experience level. Discression can well be the better part of valor. You may need to start small, with a local over-nighter, but there is Great Reward in Adventure, especially for the Spiritual, if you are willing to prepare for it.

Enjoying Native American Flute on the North Rim

Last edited by Fireax; 06-18-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Most inexpensive way to travel is camping, showers in truck stops (when needed), eating at Mickey D's and occasionally at buffets if you can eat lots of food at one meal.

"Mom and Pop" motels off the beaten path for bad weather, with Motel 6 for urban areas.
For security, only camp in real campgrounds where lots of people are and if you can legally carry, do so.

Going east of north will increase your chances of rain but going southwest is usually drier. My wife loves southern Utah but I prefer the Rockies or Appalachians, all a matter of preference.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:56 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Most inexpensive way to travel is camping, showers in truck stops (when needed), eating at Mickey D's and occasionally at buffets if you can eat lots of food at one meal.

"Mom and Pop" motels off the beaten path for bad weather, with Motel 6 for urban areas.
For security, only camp in real campgrounds where lots of people are and if you can legally carry, do so.

Going east of north will increase your chances of rain but going southwest is usually drier. My wife loves southern Utah but I prefer the Rockies or Appalachians, all a matter of preference.
Nailed it.

There is a guy who has been on the road for years. Man, I can not remember his name. Read an interview with him in Thunder Press maybe....? Hopefully someone else can chime in here.
Any type of scenery you want ?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:00 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Research and planning are your friend, know the roads you want and the ones to avoid, a good plan will allow you to see all the local sites, take time to smell the roses, its not about how many miles, its about the quality of the ride. Talk to locals along your journey, they will most times let you know of that hidden gems you may choose to take time to see and of course once you have the destination figured out asking here is always a good thing.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Jcal87
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fireax
For the Spiritual? Closest to Texas, take an early Fall (Not mid summer) trip including Palo Duro Canyon Texas, Chaco Canyon New Mexico (just NW of Albuquerque New Mexico) and North Rim Grand Canyon. Tent camp in these three places to enjoy the night sky.

These are all "Dark Sky" places. On a clear Fall night you can see constellations with the naked eye, but of course bring a good pair of binoculars or a spotting scope. There is also an observatory at Chaco Canyon. Dirt roads into Chaco, but in spite of the warnings on the park Web site they were actually pretty good dirt roads. Chaco was the site of a very ancient, mystical, and sophisticated civilization. Palo Duro was the site of a decisive battle between the Plains Native Americans and the US Calvary. Grand Canyon and "Four Corners" area of the Southwest are of course rich with Native American history.

For Scenery and challenging roads? Pacific Northwest, Rocky Mountains, or Appalachians. For Spiritual and challenging roads? Desert Southwest. For Safety? Stay home and watch TV on Sunday morning, stay off of that motorcycle.

I do not know you or your abilities and would not encourage you to jump in to something that is far beyond your experience level. Discression can well be the better part of valor. You may need to start small, with a local over-nighter, but there is Great Reward in Adventure, especially for the Spiritual, if you are willing to prepare for it.

Enjoying Native American Flute on the North Rim
I appreciate all the advice. Unfortunately I am forced to take this trip over the summer due to my work starting back up in August. I am thinking of cutting up through Oklahoma and over to colorado up into Montana. I have been riding for about 10 years now. When I say safety I mainly mean criminal safety. I dont want to get my bike stolen or worse.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Here would be my suggestion. Leave home without a map. Just get on the bike and ride. You know enough about the shape of the country and there will be road signs. Let your spirit guide you. Stay off the Interstates if you can and stay mainly on smaller roads that go through towns. Stop often, talk to people and see what's happening. When you have less than a week left to your ride, point your bike in the general direction of home and enjoy the ride. I can guarantee you'll come back a different person.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Psycle:
Grampz55 (02-27-2019), Nokkon Wud (02-25-2019)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Jcal87
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Here would be my suggestion. Leave home without a map. Just get on the bike and ride. You know enough about the shape of the country and there will be road signs. Let your spirit guide you. Stay off the Interstates if you can and stay mainly on smaller roads that go through towns. Stop often, talk to people and see what's happening. When you have less than a week left to your ride, point your bike in the general direction of home and enjoy the ride. I can guarantee you'll come back a different person.
That is what I am thinking. I think I may actually now try and go towards the grand canyon and Cali. Then up to Washington over to South Dakota. I'm going to go to Academy later on today to look at tents. Any advice on what to pack in a backpack? I will be riding a softail Slim.

Old 06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Here is a good list to help you get started as to what to pack.

http://www.cyclerides.com/newsletter/trip_list.pdf

Canyon de Chelly is holy ground to native Americans. Good vibes there.

http://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm

Old 06-18-2015, 10:26 PM
Jcal87
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Here is a good list to help you get started as to what to pack.

http://www.cyclerides.com/newsletter/trip_list.pdf

Canyon de Chelly is holy ground to native Americans. Good vibes there.

http://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm
Thanks I will check it out!

Quick Reply: Road trip advice