Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ideas for showing friends Wash DC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 PM
cybricon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideas for showing friends Wash DC?

I live near DC and have gone there often, but have a new challenge on my hands. Ten South African friends are doing a Fly 'n Ride, renting Harleys in my home town of Frederick MD, then riding out to Sturgis. I volunteered to show them DC the day they get their bikes. They would like to see the usual stuff, White House, monuments, memorials. It's not easy to park down there, and it can be a really long walk to get a glimpse of the White House from the ellipse. And it will be late July, so it might be pretty hot as well. I'm inclined to just give them a riding tour and get a glimpse of things, but I guess we should stop somewhere and look around. Maybe we can get our eleven bikes parked right on Constitution Ave near the Vietnam Memorial and the WWII memorial, then walk around there and also to the ellipse to see the White House. We can ride by the rest - Capitol, Jefferson, Lincoln.

Any suggestions? Also, a place to eat lunch might be a good idea. Or we might just do that on the way back to Frederick somewhere.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM
WolcottSB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cybricon
I live near DC and have gone there often, but have a new challenge on my hands. Ten South African friends are doing a Fly 'n Ride, renting Harleys in my home town of Frederick MD, then riding out to Sturgis. I volunteered to show them DC the day they get their bikes. They would like to see the usual stuff, White House, monuments, memorials. It's not easy to park down there, and it can be a really long walk to get a glimpse of the White House from the ellipse. And it will be late July, so it might be pretty hot as well. I'm inclined to just give them a riding tour and get a glimpse of things, but I guess we should stop somewhere and look around. Maybe we can get our eleven bikes parked right on Constitution Ave near the Vietnam Memorial and the WWII memorial, then walk around there and also to the ellipse to see the White House. We can ride by the rest - Capitol, Jefferson, Lincoln.

Any suggestions? Also, a place to eat lunch might be a good idea. Or we might just do that on the way back to Frederick somewhere.
it kind of goes without saying if you're coming from Frederick into the city, that you're taking the GW pkwy (which has tons of trees and keep you shaded and cool for the majority of the first part of the ride), which i think is a great ride on the bike. it goes right by Arlington Cemetery and the pwky itself throws you right into the city, the pentagon, take it right by Regan where if you're lucky you can be riding an have jumbo jet fly right above, keep going right into Mt. Vernon or you can hook off and go through downtown Georgetown which will be slow with a lot of lights, but none the less a different experience.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

If they would be interested in firearms the NRA building has a nice museum which is free and is not far from down town DC in Fairfax. http://www.nramuseum.org

Old 06-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

In 1992 my family went to a musical at Ford theater. I was shocked at how small it was. Made me realize what a different world it was in 1865. Would be an interesting tour.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:40 PM
PJHog
1st Gear

I, personally, would just buzz through DC and the monuments then head out to Skyline Drive if you want to ride. It's an easy ride out there and worth the trip.

If that is not in the cards, ride out to the Air & Space Museum at Dulles airport. Enola Gay, SR-71 and Space Shuttle are worth a look.

If you are going to park in DC, park by the Albert Einstein Monument and walk over to the Vietnam, Korea, Lincoln and WWII Memorials.

Ride safe.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:43 PM
PJHog
1st Gear

Forgot to recommend a place to eat.

Take them to Old Ebbitt Grill founded in 1856 and right by the White House. Good food and history.

http://www.ebbitt.com/

Old 06-22-2015, 06:04 PM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Park at Union Station and take the tour trolley around town. There is no good way to ride AND sightsee in DC.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:18 PM
cybricon
Cruiser

I've been to all of those places. I think they want to see DC the most. Dulles Ait & Space is cool though. Skyline is way out of the way. I also park on Constitution near The Wall, but I'm worried that a dozen or so bikes might be hard to park there. We'll try, and if no luck there, I think we'll park in a garage then walk around the mall.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 PM
cybricon
Cruiser

Thanks people

Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM
cybricon
Cruiser

Racinghoss, I just might do that. I'll see how they feel about walking 3-5 miles versus paying $39 for the Hop-on Hop-off Trolley. Do you know how long the usual wait for the trolley is?

Quick Reply: Ideas for showing friends Wash DC?