Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Extended Road Trip

Old 06-23-2015, 05:30 PM
kcm210
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Road Trip

My daughter Is expecting my second grand-child later this summer and I figured that would be a great opportunity to take the new Road King on an extended road trip. I'm travelling by myself.
I plan on leaving Newfoundland on Aug 24th, ferry to the mainland overnight and start the real trip on Aug 25th.
I don't have a specific time deadline
My route is as follows:

Day 1 North Sydney Nova Scotia to Edmundston, New Brunswick
Its about 920 km (about 575 mi). Best Route? Anything to see enroute? Places to stay in Edmundston?

Day 2 Edmundston NB to Ottawa Ontario area 730km (about 450 miles) - besides Parliament etc, what else? I'm trying to avoid what I've heard is really sh*tty traffic in Montreal and thought that I'd take #30 (south of Montreal to do that). Is there a better route? Any recommended "biker friendly" hotels? (inexpensive??) (I've Adam's Airport Inn is ok)

Day 3 Ottawa ON to Sault St Marie ON/MI 800 km(about 500 miles) - same general questions. Hotels? Things to see? Is there a best time to cross the border into the US - that night or wait until the next morning? When I cross the border will have an effect on what hotels I choose - whether on the Cdn or US side of Sault Ste. Marie.

Day 4 Sault Ste Marie to Duluth MN - 680 km(425 miles) - along MI28 and US 2. This is probably the part I am really open to suggestions on. I sped thru Wisconsin moving from the west to the east and loved what I saw - the scenery was awesome. Any favorite rides?? Is the Harley museum really a "can't miss"? What other things should I really be seeing? Hotel/motel recommendations? Places to eat - including your favorite burger joint/ma & pa restaurant/bar?

Day 5 - Duluth (??) to Winnipeg Manitoba 620 km (385 miles) - Winnipeg is close to home and I have family there - so I'm pretty familiar with the things to see and do.

Day 6 - Winnipeg MB to Moosomin Saskatchewan 355 km(225 miles) - more family etc.

So, as you can see it's a lengthy trip and my first long one. I'm getting in lots of seat time in preparation for it - doing some 8 hour days in the seat - but I really am not sure what to expect. Some of my days might be pretty ambitious as far as distance.

I don't have the route home picked yet - whether I'll just take the same route back or whether I'll take the "all-Canada" route - over the top of the Lakes. I'm open to a whole bunch of advice on that as well. I expect to be returning sometime around 15th Sept or so....so I'm not sure what the weather might be like on either the "north" or "south" route.

I'd appreciate any advice that trippers might have - bike security, long days, etc etc.

Thanks for any help, advice, hotel/bar/restaurant choices that anyone can provide.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:54 PM
restab
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went across Canada last summer B.C. to Nova Scotia . My only advice will be to make sure you stay hydrated , and to pull off the road if you get to tired . On my 24th day I pulled into a road stop and had a nap . Also the wifi in Quebec set my alarm off , just figure out where it might be coming from and push the bike away from the souce . Have a great ride .

Old 06-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Best wishes to you and your daughter. My main reaction to your itinerary is that it's a lot of miles each day. You might consider taking an extra day, or at least leaving open that possibility.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Shadow 1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree some of the Iron Butt folks may see it different but after the 3rd day of 500+ miles your reactions begin to slow some.
There's an old saying about taking time to smell the roses, if you have the time spread it out a little. We have a Colorado trip planned later this year, 1100 miles first day 2 day break (concerts) then several 200 mile days (or less) and a quick 300 mile run home.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:09 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow 1
... some of the Iron Butt folks may see it different but after the 3rd day of 500+ miles your reactions begin to slow some. There's an old saying about taking time to smell the roses, ...
Maybe I one of those Iron Butt folks. Depending on how much you get bogged down in traffic, I think your miles per day is just right. I think anything up to 600 miles is really doable on a Road King on the open road. Modern touring bikes can really eat up the miles.

As for smelling the roses, there's a difference between smelling the roses and dissecting them. What I love about motorcycle touring is the ability to smell the roses and see the vistas; to move through the scenery and feel a part of it. What's over that horizon? On a motorcycle you have a chance to answer that question.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Shadow 1
Novice

Atticus Finch, 600 mile days average 10 hours in the saddle unless you are running interstate speeds. Traveling and running the Interstate system it's easy to cover 1000 miles a day, My wife and I do it at least twice a year in and out of Mississippi/Arkansas, seen everything within the 1st 1000 I want to. My point to OP was that run 2 long days and 1 short gives you time to relax if you have the time to do it. Check out the cool local dives etc.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Shadow 1
My point to OP was that run 2 long days and 1 short gives you time to relax if you have the time to do it. Check out the cool local dives etc.
I don't think that I, the OP, or anyone else missed that point. I didn't intend to disagree with you. My only point was that there is, in my opinion, nothing wrong with how the OP has planned his ride. Nothing wrong with how you like to do it either. Just a matter of preference.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:13 PM
kcm210
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I appreciate the advice on the length of the ride(s) on consecutive days. Like I said, it's my first real long trip and I don't have a particular time deadline. I've done those kinds of miles before in a row - though not on a bike. It is my big concern....am I setting unrealistic miles? I'd be interested to hear what's good to see/do in Wisconsin - as by that time I may need a break...sore a** and all.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Shadow 1
Novice

Not from Wisconsin but the "dells" The MOCO Museum burnt most of a day and had pretty good eats in the café. We ran the lakeside last trip up there traffic wasn't bad and lots of nice vistas. Door County I think its called was a nice day trip too.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior

I'm also not from Wisconsin. I have but one Wisconsin riding experience. Last summer, with four other guys, I rode in all 48 contiguous United States over the course. Our Wisconsin experience, on Day 7, was basically from Beloit, WI to Dubuque, IA along Highway 11. We had stopped to smell the pizza in Chicago, had gotten caught in traffic headed out of town, and were riding this stretch in the evening.

This was one of the most serene stretches of road we traversed. A couple of guys said this was their favorite part of the entire ride. As one guy said, this ride caused him to realize how much of this big, beautiful country people miss when they take their kids to someplace like Disneyland year after year. The Wisconsin countryside was, quite simply, inspiring.

Enjoy the ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Road Trip