Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

NJ to Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 03:13 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Arrived in Atlanta after riding most of the way in moderate rain. We both have pretty decent rain gear, so it wasn't too uncomfortable.

Met up with friends from FLA who arrived about the same time we did, then another couple from NJ. We'll spend the weekend at the convention, then head back north via Tail of the Dragon and Wheels Through Time on Sunday.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:44 PM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Great meeting you and our wives seem to have hit it off. Safe ride home and the rest of your journey. We will roll together soon.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:12 AM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

Likewise, Jim, and we look forward to it. Getting packed up now, looks like rain for the first leg of the trip no matter how we slice it...

Old 07-09-2015, 12:26 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

We arrived home yesterday. Left Atlanta Sunday morning geared up for rain. It was obviously going to rain any minute. We made it all the way to Charlotte, NC without a single drop, where we spent the night.

Monday was beautiful, and we headed over to Maggie Valley to visit the Wheels Through Time museum, which I've been wanting to do for at least 10 years. That was fantastic! We spent 3 or 4 hours there; I finally had to stop taking pictures or else I'd never get past the first 20 feet. Says my wife as she's taking pictures, "Oooh, look at that! How cool.... Look what you've done to me!!" Lol! If you haven't been there and you like old bikes, do yourself a favor and GO!

I really wanted to get to Deal's Gap, but my wife was getting road weary by this time so we decided tobhead home, and I'll return to Deal's Gap with a buddy or two in August. We left Wheels Through Time and backtracked on 40, which is a really nice road through the mountains. It's an interstate, but very nice. Picked up 29 north and figured we'd just go until we were too tired to keep going, which happened at Danville, VA. 29 is another beautiful highway through rolling hills and the foothills of the mountains, I guess the Smokeys. We JUST missed a fair amount of rain, as 29 was very wet for the last few miles, but the skies were clear by the time we got there. That didn't keep my wife's Dyna from getting her legs sopping wet, with it's little front fender. We used the hotel's guest laundry to deal with that and slept pretty hard, we stopped at about 9 pm.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

The rest of the trip was uneventful, except for the traffic in DC and Baltimore. I thought we were early enough to avoid it, but I was WRONG! Beltway traffic was horrendous, and so was 95 for a ways north of Washington. In spite of all that, it was a good ride overall.