Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need help for my next trip to usa... Texas and New Orleans or Tennessee and carolinas

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys!

Night life is not so important, I mean, we like to go out and have a drink but being tourist seesights, attractions and national parks are more important to us.

I always wanted to see New Orleans and Texas but after seeing the parks in Utah area in afraid I might be a bit disappointed even in sure both are beautiful places full of nice people and southern charm

Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
Thank you guys!

Night life is not so important, I mean, we like to go out and have a drink but being tourist seesights, attractions and national parks are more important to us.
That's so odd to me! When we travel, we choose our visit based on the nightlife, bars, and restaurants more than the "touristy" stuff! LOL!

Anyway, it sounds like Tennessee and Carolina might be better choices for you. Personally, I've lived in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Louisiana - wouldn't pay money to go to most of NorthcCarolina. Tennessee, yes. New Orleans? Well, I just keep going back. . . Lol!

Last edited by From_Behind; 07-08-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:51 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

If you want fun in Texas mixed with National Parks, you can't beat Big Bend National Park! It is one of the top ten National Parks for photography. Then when you are ready for a cold beer and to meet some of the most interesting and entertaining folks in the country, head into Terlingua Ghost Town to hang out and watch the sunset from 'The Porch' (it is the porch of the general store that is a community hang-out). Right next door to the porch is the Star Light Theatre, a great place for food and drink. Have a look at a few of the photos I took out there (including activities on the porch) here: http://milesoftexas.com/galleries/bibe/

Whatever you decide, all of those locations are excellent and different.

Last edited by MilesOfTexas; 07-10-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Bohemka
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last year we flew into New Orleans and stayed there for one night then headed east along Florida coast. Up through Georgia and the Carolinas and then across onto Blue Ridge Parkway then down to Memphis then followed Mississippi back down to New Orleans.
Beautiful scenery and plenty of places to go see that are off the 'standard tourism list' (air boats through the Alabama gator swamps is a must !)
That would give you the views and also a chance for a bit of night life.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Solitario
Tourer

repeated sorry

Last edited by Solitario; 07-12-2015 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Repeated
Old 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Solitario
Tourer

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
If you want fun in Texas mixed with National Parks, you can't beat Big Bend National Park! It is one of the top ten National Parks for photography. Then when you are ready for a cold beer and to meet some of the most interesting and entertaining folks in the country, head into Terlingua Ghost Town to hang out and watch the sunset from 'The Porch' (it is the porch of the general store that is a community hang-out). Right next door to the porch is the Star Light Theatre, a great place for food and drink. Have a look at a few of the photos I took out there (including activities on the porch) here: http://milesoftexas.com/galleries/bibe/

Whatever you decide, all of those locations are excellent and different.
Thanks a lot! Very helpful info.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Solitario
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bohemka
Last year we flew into New Orleans and stayed there for one night then headed east along Florida coast. Up through Georgia and the Carolinas and then across onto Blue Ridge Parkway then down to Memphis then followed Mississippi back down to New Orleans.
Beautiful scenery and plenty of places to go see that are off the 'standard tourism list' (air boats through the Alabama gator swamps is a must !)
How many days?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Bohemka
If you don't want to mess with FL or the swamps, a ride up to Natchez (to see the Antebellum Mansions), then the Natchez Trace to Vicksburg (which has the Vicksburg National Military Park where a civil war battle took place), then to Tuscaloosa for a night, then up to Cherokee NC (Tail of the dragon, Smoky Mountains NP, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc), then Nashville and/or Memphis, then back down to New Orleans is another option.

Depending on how many nights you want to stay in the Smoky Mountains (I would stay at least 2-3 nights), you could do that in a week or less. I just don't know how far you will ride in a day and how much sight seeing you like to do.

In the Smoky Mountain area, my absolute favorite road is the Cherohala Skyway. I took that into Cherokee west to east from Tuscaloosa.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:49 AM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I would go to TN and NC. In fact, since you like good nightlife and music, and you're here for 15 days, I would do this:

Day 1: Arrive New Orleans, LA
Day 1-2: Explore New Orleans and surrounding area
Day 3 (AM): Leave New Orleans, arrive Memphis (PM)
Day 4: Visit Memphis attractions and get barbeque - Graceland, Beale Street, Gibson Guitar Factory, etc
Day 5 (AM): Leave Memphis, arrive Nashville TN (early PM)
Day 6: Nashville attractions and nightlife
Day 7 (AM): Leave Nashville, arrive Knoxville, TN (pick up motorcycle). Continue to NC.
Day 8-9: Check out Great Smokey Mountain National Park, ride Cherohala Skyway, Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville, etc
Day 10 (AM): Return motorcycle, head to Atlanta, GA
Day 11: Atlanta attractions
Day 12 (AM): Leave Atlanta, arrive Panama City Beach, FL
Day 13 (PM): Beach in the morning, drive to Mobile AL in afternoon
Day 14: Leave Mobile, AL, arrive New Orleans, LA
Day 15: Back to Europe

That way, you can visit the music scene in New Orleans, Memphis, and Nashville, and get some good riding and park time in eastern TN and western NC. For added kicks, I put in a stop at Panama City Beach, FL for some downtime at the beach, and then continuing along the coast back to New Orleans. Since you mentioned that you will be bringing a lot of stuff and won't be on a bike the whole trip, you can rent a Harley in Knoxville TN for that portion of the trip.

Last edited by silent1; 07-13-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Solitario
Tourer

Originally Posted by silent1
I would go to TN and NC. In fact, since you like good nightlife and music, and you're here for 15 days, I would do this:

Day 1: Arrive New Orleans, LA
Day 1-2: Explore New Orleans and surrounding area
Day 3 (AM): Leave New Orleans, arrive Memphis (PM)
Day 4: Visit Memphis attractions and get barbeque - Graceland, Beale Street, Gibson Guitar Factory, etc
Day 5 (AM): Leave Memphis, arrive Nashville TN (early PM)
Day 6: Nashville attractions and nightlife
Day 7 (AM): Leave Nashville, arrive Knoxville, TN (pick up motorcycle). Continue to NC.
Day 8-9: Check out Great Smokey Mountain National Park, ride Cherohala Skyway, Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville, etc
Day 10 (AM): Return motorcycle, head to Atlanta, GA
Day 11: Atlanta attractions
Day 12 (AM): Leave Atlanta, arrive Panama City Beach, FL
Day 13 (PM): Beach in the morning, drive to Mobile AL in afternoon
Day 14: Leave Mobile, AL, arrive New Orleans, LA
Day 15: Back to Europe

That way, you can visit the music scene in New Orleans, Memphis, and Nashville, and get some good riding and park time in eastern TN and western NC. For added kicks, I put in a stop at Panama City Beach, FL for some downtime at the beach, and then continuing along the coast back to New Orleans. Since you mentioned that you will be bringing a lot of stuff and won't be on a bike the whole trip, you can rent a Harley in Knoxville TN for that portion of the trip.
Thanks you! That sounds great! i know about bourbon street in New Orleans, any other nice places to see there?

Quick Reply: Need help for my next trip to usa... Texas and New Orleans or Tennessee and carolinas