Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wife on her own bike, where do you put her, why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 06:45 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by deano360
this is what we do.... i will and have had the lead when she was learning to ride, after she got comfortable with her bike them i would have her lead... i did this so that she could see the things that i saw and so she could identify possible hazards on her own without having to rely on me to tell her or show her what to look for.... also we have com units that we use and i would let her know what i would be looking for as we would round a corner, usually things that i didnt ever mention when i would lead... i have to admit that i would be nervous when she rode at first....
That is a very good idea. Thank you.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:25 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

50,000 miles and 1 incident, why even consider doing different? The technique is the correct one. Let it go.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:26 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem, for me at least, with her in the back, was that I spent too much time looking in my mirrors to make sure all was good with her. I didn't need to do it as she was a very competent rider. But I just couldn't seem to help myself.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:41 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

I am almost always pack leader and the wife rides behind me on the outside right. I try to be the protector but as you just found some things just really can't be avoided all the time. My wife also just seems more comfortable riding the shoulder where I myself prefer the center which gives me more wiggle room for road obstacles such as deer. We are covered in them and hardly a ride goes by I don't point out a dozen along the way.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:00 PM
Suruchi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a relatively new rider, but as soon as I got my license, my hubby preferred to have me lead so he could watch me and not have to look in his mirrors for me all the time. I'm also better at directions. However, last month we both got new bikes with GPS, so that is not the case any longer. Me a 2015 SG special. His a 2015 RG special. So sweet!!!! The one time I really prefer to have him lead is if we are on a trip or all day ride and I'm tired toward the end, it is easier for me to just follow him.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:07 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKY
The problem, for me at least, with her in the back, was that I spent too much time looking in my mirrors to make sure all was good with her. I didn't need to do it as she was a very competent rider. But I just couldn't seem to help myself.
another reason to have her ride in the back is so i can keep an eye on her without, out riding her.... it makes me ride at her experience level, and in turn lets me work on technique

Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

My wife does complain that I go too slow when I lead. I am afraid I will ride faster than she is comfortable going, and checking back on her quite a bit.
When she leads I just keep up with her I've noticed, being as she goes faster.
If you lead you do seem to have to be more vigilant and can't go on cruise control as much.
Nothing is of course going to be the perfect method in each situation.
Change it up a bit and let her lead. She will become a better rider (not that I'm saying she isn't good) getting out of her comfort zone.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I have ridden approximately 50K miles on separate bikes and I ride in the back 95% of the time. I prefer to let her set the pace so I am not having to watch the mirrors for her because I ride more aggressively. I also prefer to keep the tailgaters from pressuring her (I am not sure why, she is more than capable). Plus, she is really not riding that much further ahead of me (3 or 4 bike lengths) I am basically seeing everything she sees on the road. My wife also rides without me, so it is not like she really needs me in front of her anyway

Old 07-13-2015, 07:55 PM
HockeyCoach
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKY
Yup.

It gets worse if you're messing around with the navigation/infotainment system at the same time too. Now, you're doing three things at once.

My wife an I use the Scala Rider G9x PowerSet. That helps a lot.

In busy traffic when it's not easy to get away from the jerks on the road, I prefer my wife to lead because I get distracted by the tailgaters that I see behind her. IOW, I'd rather have a tailgater run me over rather than her.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 AM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All good stuff to consider. I really like the communication idea at least to identify hazards and explain my thinking as it relates to time of day, terrain, animal crossings, cow crap in the road, things like that.

I think I will mix it up more depending on terrain and hazard presence. I do think I will continue to go in front and set the pace in high animal kill areas like the one where we had the accident. Got some great leads on better/safer clothing in a different thread so we will be upgrading in that department as well.

Other than the bike and her bumps and bruises we got a lot of new focus and clarity about our safety and risks without long term or permanent cost so we feel lucky. This kind of thing will get you thinking and talking about some of your other life planning that we way too often put off as well. A real eye opener for sure. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to give us your opinions and experience. It is appreciated. EW

Quick Reply: Wife on her own bike, where do you put her, why?