Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Wife on her own bike, where do you put her, why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 01:15 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wife on her own bike, where do you put her, why?

Wife and I have been riding for 50,000 miles or so now. Since the beginning I have gone first and ride in the track closest to the centerline. She is behind and in the track closest to the shoulder. My thought in the past was me being where I was to watch the oncoming traffic and just to be first on general to spot any hazards or take the hit if someone pulls out in front of us. I have also always had the eye for spotting game, hazards, etc. while I fear she would see yard sale signs, flowers and such.

This past week we were riding NE Washington where we live and at highway speed I caught a glimpse of a deer jumping from behind cover into the road. I barely had time to throw my right arm up and I saw the deer hit her mid air as it jumped into the highway. It took out her front end and down she went. Thank GOD she is fine and basically walked away from it after rolling about 900 times.

Had she been in front or even in the centerline track she may have gotten a pass. I have been thinking about this a lot this week. I have been thinking of mixing up our positions depending on traffic, deer presence, time of day, etc. it seems like I can come up with a good argument for just about any deductive reasoning I do. I know that we ride under risk and that risk can be mitigated with proper gear, (which she had) times of travel, road choices, etc.

Is there any strategic reason you have your wife in any particular location as you ride? I would appreciate hearing any insights or experience. Thanks in advance. EW.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:24 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

The way you've been doing it is the way I see most doing it. You can't prevent every danger but the way you do it seems to be the best way to prevent, or lessen, most mishaps.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:14 PM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

That's how the wife and I usually ride as well. Staggered with me on the center line side of the lane and her on the fog one side. We do change it up but I lead 95% of the time. We will be leaving for a 3 week trip on the bikes in a couple of weeks and I may try to just have her follow my line especially on two lane roads.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:43 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

We go that way and switch sometimes too. If she is the one who knows the way she usually leads of course.
Like you said don't know if it matters 100% of the time where you are.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:29 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm the lead dog, unless someone's tailgating then I let her lead until they back off or pass.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:35 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well it always starts out she says "I'll follow you" then within one or two miles she is in the lead. She rides the line I ride the shoulder. Been that way since she got her license 10 years ago.

Even though I'm riding sweep I'm still the navigator and I have to pass her when a turn is coming or she will pass it.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife rides in the rear on the open road. I can hit stuff first that way. Also, she keys on me when in curves and she says it helps her judge corners. In cities she often takes the lead because she is just better at finding her way around.

Bill

Old 07-12-2015, 12:17 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I'm usually in the lead as she is just learning. But she is on a spyder. My son is behind her, guarding from the *******.

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
I'm the lead dog, unless someone's tailgating then I let her lead until they back off or pass.
Yep, done that as well. A camper was right on my sons *** and I did not like it nor felt comfortable. I waved my son forward and I dropped back. I made sure the guy driving knew to back off. And he did.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:14 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When my wife rode her own bike, we rode as you describe 95% of the time, with me in front and on the left track. We used a Bluetooth helmet comm system, and I liked being able to give her a verbal heads-up on hazards, bumps, tricky curves, etc.

Ultimately though, I was always nervous with her on her own bike. And she wasn't passionate about riding anyway, so now she's strictly a pillion, and prefers it that way.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:32 PM
deano360
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

this is what we do.... i will and have had the lead when she was learning to ride, after she got comfortable with her bike them i would have her lead... i did this so that she could see the things that i saw and so she could identify possible hazards on her own without having to rely on me to tell her or show her what to look for.... also we have com units that we use and i would let her know what i would be looking for as we would round a corner, usually things that i didnt ever mention when i would lead... i have to admit that i would be nervous when she rode at first....

Quick Reply: Wife on her own bike, where do you put her, why?