Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast in August - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

The equivalent of EZPASS for the Bay Area is Fastrack

https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/home/index.shtml

But I don't think you will need one. If you are heading north over the Golden Gate Bridge, that is the direction in which you don't pay a toll. And on the GG Bridge going south, they take a picture of you plate and send you a bill in the mail if you don't have Fastrak. There may be some toll lanes (Lexus lanes) in Socal, but I am not sure what system they use.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:15 AM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
The equivalent of EZPASS for the Bay Area is Fastrack

https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/home/index.shtml

But I don't think you will need one. If you are heading north over the Golden Gate Bridge, that is the direction in which you don't pay a toll. And on the GG Bridge going south, they take a picture of you plate and send you a bill in the mail if you don't have Fastrak. There may be some toll lanes (Lexus lanes) in Socal, but I am not sure what system they use.
So Cal uses fastrak and if your doing 91 freeway it's a must.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by byronk
So Cal uses fastrak and if your doing 91 freeway it's a must.
Where is 91? Not sure I will be on it?

If only a couple of tolls like the bridge I can handle stopping for it. If there are the kind of roads that have you stopping every 20 miles for a quarter, I will plan accordingly.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

This is the 91 freeway. You should be able to avoid it. There are no places where you have to stop and put money in a bucket. The system reads your Fastrak transponder and charges your account accordingly.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Cool ,thanks. Looks avoidable.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Well my Roadie got picked up on Friday, she is on her way to Washington State. We leave next Friday, too much damn work between now and then!?!?!?

Ordered cooling vests and neck wraps for the desert, should be in this week. Also picked up some UnderArmour for a base layer. We will be prepared for the heat.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tell me about the cooling vest please. What did you find? I have been soaking my shirt in water before each ride. Makes a very pleasant ride, but evaporates too quickly; and sometimes leads to some embarrassing water marks on my jeans. Vest sounds like a good idea, but there are a lot of them to choose from. Which one did you choose?

I tried the cooling packs that are recomended for inserting in my mesh riding jacket. Totally ineffective, a waste of my money and time.

Last edited by Fireax; 08-03-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

We wound up buying "TechNiche International Adult HyperKewl Cooling Sport Vest" on Amazon. $45 plus some shipping. There is some other products out there for more money, but these hit the budget just right with good reviews. HD sells there own version but they got a bad write up for staining the shirt beneath the vest (black of course).

We got neck wraps that you soak in water also on Amazon, they can also be pulled up over your face. We tried going to the local sporting goods store but we were unsuccessful in finding the vests, online seems to be the way to go for motorcycle gear.

Taking a pass on the hydration back pack, I think it will be too big between the wife and myself as well as a big item to pack when not in use. If I was riding solo I think I would get it, but since my wife is a great cup holder, I should be all good. 1L bottle in her hands, two frozen stashed on the bike, repeat at each stop.

I have no review of either product at this time, but I can get back to you at the end of the month.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I rode from San Diego to Palm Springs to Scottsdale in August of 2013. Yea it was hot but being from the east 90 felt like 70 and 110 didn't really feel that bad. It got to 113 from Palm Springs to Scottsdale. I didn't do it on a air cooled Harley though. I was more worried about my tires but it was fun and a challenge.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:55 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

That TechNiche Cooling Vest is what I bought for this years riding season, but it hasn't seen water yet, I have been trying a different method that seems to work pretty well so far. Enough anyways that I haven't felt the need to wear the vest.

The vests work week but you really need to wear some thing over them for maximum affect. A textile mesh jacket is the best.

As far as the other method, I have been trying different performance shirts. One from Columbia and other shirts from Under Armor. Though its not keeping me as cool as the cooling vests... I don't have to carry my mesh jacket with me. It's a trade so far that I can tolerate.

Quick Reply: West Coast in August - need advice