Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Blue Ridge Parkway in September.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 AM
sholl789
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Ridge Parkway in September.

Planning a trip up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We plan to stop in Asheville then up the Parkway for a few hundred miles then back to Asheville by way of a few wineries. Any advice would be welcome.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:15 AM
viiiball
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sholl789
Planning a trip up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We plan to stop in Asheville then up the Parkway for a few hundred miles then back to Asheville by way of a few wineries. Any advice would be welcome.
First off its a lovely ride. My wife and I have done a BRP run at least 3x in the last 3 years. We live in VA so we get on Skyline Drive and end up in Cherokee usually 3 days later. Spend a few days in Cherokee riding things like the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway.

Be prepared for all kinds of weather. It can get very foggy especially early in the morning. Have your rain gear.

Since you are riding north from Asheville I would suggest that you take some time in Little Switzerland to ride The Snake. Here is a link http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/10...26--226A).html

Then north of that you can stop at Linville Falls http://www.visitnc.com/listing/linville-falls-1

Don't know how far north you are traveling but if you get into VA, Marby Mill is the most photographed spot on the BRP http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=111

There are not a lot of gas or food stops on the BRP (some small towns adjacent) so plan your gas and food needs accordingly. There are park bathrooms so those don't need to be planned.

Let me know if you have any other questions. More than happy since we run this route a lot.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:44 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

^^^^^Agreed^^^^^

We've done the BRP from beginning to end a couple of times.

We stayed here once, it's right on the BRP. https://switzerlandinn.com/

Prices are average, restaurant is real good.
Get a drink from the bar, then sit out on the back lawn on their lawn chairs, beautiful view.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:49 AM
viiiball
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
^^^^^Agreed^^^^^
We stayed here once, it's right on the BRP. https://switzerlandinn.com/
We've stayed in Little Switzerland as well though we stayed at http://www.biglynnlodge.com/. Littleswitzerland is only about 50+ miles north of Asheville so don't know if you'll be ready to bed down yet but as Steve said the views are spectacular.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:37 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

80 down to Marion is good too. They call it the devils whip. I think the parkway south of Asheville is a little more fun then north. I'd start in Cherokee if you can

Old 08-03-2015, 02:46 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Blackness03
80 down to Marion is good too. They call it the devils whip. I think the parkway south of Asheville is a little more fun then north. I'd start in Cherokee if you can
Yep, 80 is a good road. 276 coming off the Parkway in Little Switzerland ("The Diamondback") is another good one. If you want a more relaxing ride, you could do the waterfalls on 64. Looking Glass Falls (actually just off 64 in Brevard), Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls are all worth a look, IMO. Then catch Wayah Road in Franklin up to 74 and then 19 to ride back through Cherokee and Maggie Valley, or hit the Parkway in Cherokee and take that back to Asheville. Lots of good stuff in that area.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Farmboy666
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainpharm
Yep, 80 is a good road. 276 coming off the Parkway in Little Switzerland ("The Diamondback") is another good one. If you want a more relaxing ride, you could do the waterfalls on 64. Looking Glass Falls (actually just off 64 in Brevard), Bridal Veil Falls and Dry Falls are all worth a look, IMO. Then catch Wayah Road in Franklin up to 74 and then 19 to ride back through Cherokee and Maggie Valley, or hit the Parkway in Cherokee and take that back to Asheville. Lots of good stuff in that area.
276 is Brevard up to parkway and over to Waynesville, 226 is Little Switzerland. Just caught that because I live in Brevard.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Farmboy666
276 is Brevard up to parkway and over to Waynesville, 226 is Little Switzerland. Just caught that because I live in Brevard.
Yes, thank you! Had a Monday moment there

Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Grandfather Mountain at milepost 305 is a must. Walk the swinging bridge for a look see as grand as you will find anywhere. Careful on the way up, there are numerous switchbacks that are tight. Clingmans Dome is another great look see, off US 441 near Pigeon Forge. Check here for help Don't Trust Your Vehicle Navigation System/GPS
Vehicle Navigation Systems and GPS units may provide inaccurate information in the mountains—sending drivers the wrong way on one-way roads or leading them to dead ends in remote areas. Free park road maps are available in park visitor centers.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:22 AM
ottawaair
Cruiser

Don't want to be a thread hijacker, but I'm doing this trip at end of august and also have a few questions.
First, we are undecided as to start at Waynesboro, or Cherokee.
Riding from west Michigan the first day, so getting to either start point is close to same distance.
Thinking to start at top and go south.
Second, how far should we plan on getting each day ??
The parkway is 470 miles, so , would 150+/- a day be good ?? Or can we get further ??
Here's what I've been told.
Day 1 on parkway ,Wednesday, Waynesboro to Raonoke area. Stay there somewhere ??
Day 2,Thursday, Raonoke to boone or blowing Rock area, stay there somewhere??
Day 3 , Friday , on to Cherokee. Stay.
Day 4, Saturday, start swinging back north.
Home on Sunday.
Monday as an option, if we take longer on parkway.

Is this reasonable ??
We are all on baggers, 4 of us, and we aren't going to be rixky racers.
I want to enjoy the ride.

Any info is appreciated, for me and the OP.

Quick Reply: Blue Ridge Parkway in September.