Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

State Road 2 -- NE

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default State Road 2 -- NE

I recently had occasion to drive across the country (full disclosure...for various reasons, I went by car, not by bike), and on the way took as many small roads as I could.

Came across a potential gem for anyone heading west (say to Sturgis) from the eastern half of the country: Nebraska state road 2, running from Grand Island up to Alliance. The road is a bit rough along its eastern section, but west of Broken Bow it got much better, and it runs through some really beautiful, desolate country. I had never seen the Sand Hill region of NW Nebraska before. It looked like a great ride. Anyone familiar with the road?

The only drawback is there seemed to be few places to stop, and not all of the gas stations were offering high-octane gas. Nevertheless, I intend to get the bike out on this road someday.

Attaching a picture below.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:46 AM
thefirstbigone
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I've driven it many times and will be riding it again on my way to Sturgis next week. There are short sections of it that can be a little rough but the scenery is worth a few bumps in the road. Very drastic change from "corn country" just a few miles south. A lot of mild hills and some big sweeping turns. You will see a lot of grass and cows. Take on fuel every chance you can once west of Broken Bow because even if you find a gas station doesn't mean it will be open on Sunday until you hit Alliance. Only issues I have ever had is wide slow moving farm equipment (very little) and cows outside the fence on or along the road. They are more unpredictable than deer.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:18 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just east of Alliance on highway 2 is a small town called Ellsworth on hwy 27. There is a cool little fur, leather, store on the corner. Ride hwy 27 north to Gordon, Nebraska on hwy 20. Hwy 27 is a road you would never expect in Nebraska. You can then take hwy 20 to Chadron and then up to the Black Hills on hwy 385.

Nebraska is a helmet state so come prepared.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Flatrock-1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can make some pretty good time on Hwy 2, but always face the risk of paying for school books if your going a little to fast. Almost all the locals are friendly if you have a problem I doubt you would have to wait to long for someone to stop. That being said it is remote and if you have problems it might be a while before someone comes along. As harleyhusker said if you jump north on hwy 27 to Gordon that is a good ride, a little bumpy though. If you hit #2 the rest of the way to Alliance that is a better/smoother road. Alliance also has a better selection of places to grab a bite to eat and you can also stop at Carhenge on your way to the hills.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 AM
BigWaterJim
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

Just did that road while out there. Scenery gets boring, same thing no changes. Road is mostly straight with no hills. But if that's what ha got that's what ha got. Some cute things to see.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the comments, all.

Re speed limits, just recently I was able to maintain 65-75 for most of the way, depending on conditions, and with no worries from the Bronze. That said, I did make a point to slow down when entering the towns and hamlets along the way...the limit drops to 25-30 in most cases and I'm sure they would quickly ticket someone who didn't show some respect for that.

As to the scenery, it's all what you enjoy, I suppose. For my part, I thought the Sand Hill region was about as interesting as the Great Plains get, but I'll admit there is not as much variation as one would find in other parts of the country.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I take Route 20 all the way from Chicago to 385 to the Black Hills...nice road....nice views

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

A trip to Sturgis fell into my lap yesterday so now I am earnestly trying to decide which route I wish to take to get there.

I have been on Rt 2 across Nebraska and it was a nice ride. I am wondering though how US275 from north of Omaha to where it intersects with US20 is?

I will be leaving the 30th after work and plan to arrive in Sturgis Friday afternoon the 31st sometime. I would prefer to not take I90 just because I think it will be very busy and I have been on it many times.

I have no reservations for a place to stay on Thursday night but I doubt if that will be a problem, wife will not be with me so that means I can lower my standards some! LOL

Old 07-28-2015, 05:32 PM
DevilSperm
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief2505
A trip to Sturgis fell into my lap yesterday so now I am earnestly trying to decide which route I wish to take to get there.

I have been on Rt 2 across Nebraska and it was a nice ride. I am wondering though how US275 from north of Omaha to where it intersects with US20 is?

I will be leaving the 30th after work and plan to arrive in Sturgis Friday afternoon the 31st sometime. I would prefer to not take I90 just because I think it will be very busy and I have been on it many times.

I have no reservations for a place to stay on Thursday night but I doubt if that will be a problem, wife will not be with me so that means I can lower my standards some! LOL
Better bring a tent because all the hotels are full.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Devil

yeah I got to wondering about that so this morning I made a reservation at a motel in Fairmont MN. Going to make for a long late afternoon/evening today but will be worth it tomorrow I am sure!

Ride safe

Quick Reply: State Road 2 -- NE