Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Long Ride Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:16 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

hiding from a south Louisiana thunderstorm under an interstate bridge one day. Old guy then...ha... probably the age I am now, rolls up, stops, lit up and started talking. I asked how he did those Sturgis and Daytona trips. Breaks, he said. Once you get tired and hurting, you are hurting.

We started stopping every hour or so. Only for a couple of minutes sometimes. As in 2 or 3. Walk, stretch, get blood back in our butt. It helped me a lot. Not a 10 minute break. Long trips we stopped about 50 miles then had to fill up around 100.

Other posts disagree so what works seems like a variable...Your mileage may vary. I do agree with drink, and better shape helps. Done many 500 to 700 mile days.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Alf Head
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowchrome
Thanks. Never thought about a cushion. Did some research and looks like there's a gel vs. air debate, but looks like Airhawk is a favorite for sure. I've got a tailbone issue and think I'm going with their R cushion.

Amazon.com: Airhawk Airhawk R Seat Pad AHR Amazon.com: Airhawk Airhawk R Seat Pad AHR

Old 07-25-2015, 06:45 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts
Default First Long Ride Advice

Imodium.

GM

Old 07-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Ibuprofen

Old 07-25-2015, 07:03 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm riding up from central texas thru Abilene and cutting across to Turkey then on to amarillo. I have nonn-cotton undies which can be easy washed and hung overnight and dry in morning. I also use Monkey butt powder. I have a Limited and stop every 120 miles, regas, stretch, and gatorade/water. I highly suggest carrying salty snacks and or granola and eat every stop. You have to eat cause straight liquids will deplete your electrolyts and you will be in trouble! Sunscreen, eyedrops, Aleve will help with muscle cramps and eye fatigue. Also, cover any exposed skin on you ride..i wear a mesh jacket with synthetic wicking shirt underneath. I have witnessed too many people going to Sturgis wearing shorts and muscle shirts and then getting EMS help on side of road! Also as others have suggested leave early like 6:30am and try to be done for the dAy by3-3:30pm so you're not riding in the heat of the day. Once you get out of TX it will get cooler as you head north..

Last edited by rossn2; 07-25-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,411 Posts

What model bike will you be on?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:54 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Damn..... lots of good advice on this thread. Imodium..... lol i need it every time... pain relever... um use those too. Air vs. Gel....well gell dosen"t breath so i would go air or sheepskin. The lack of circulation of air and friction equal monkey but.

I also agree at least for me the pain sets in. You just ride through it and when you stop walk aroud while you drink your water to get blood flowing. I do as long as a long stride walk around the parking lot as it takes me to down a water. It never gets any worse and your mind shuts it off after a bit.

Not trying to be negative long rides are fantastic probably the best memories you will ever have. Just trying to relay what you might encounter. What works for me might not for you but the ride/experience will be epic

I am just a little envious that icant take one this year. Too much going on this year.

Last edited by todd-67; 07-25-2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:04 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,312 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Good tips above......I would add......

We found, riding in the heat, that what you do the day before is as important as what you do the day of the ride..........we try to eat well, get a good nites rest and hydrate well the day before we head out..........a good start is important......

Test rides before ya go is a great way to test yourself and the bike (and your packing skills).....

We ride on a cut down wooden beaded car seat cover (if you zoom on my sig pic, you can see it)........when it's hot or raining, you stay dry/dry quickly.........no butt problems, lol, since we started using it........

Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Funny enough, I always pack Imodium. You never know what new food is going to do to your digestive track.

I stop every hour for a break. Usually not long, maybe 10 minutes, but it helps me to stay alert.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 PM
vanman59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am on my retirement trip around the US. We started in NC May 31st. Been to SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA, Canada, MT, WY, ID, SD, ND. These are the states we have been to so far. The next ones are NV, UT, CO, NB, KS, MO, IL, IN, KY, WV, MD, VA. So far 14,800 miles. Here is what I do, I wear boxer briefs, use a bead rider seat for the breeze (prevents swamp ***), Lots of sun screen and the clear zinc for my nose, get a camel back and fill it with a little water and a lot of ice, you can constantly drink while riding and you can stop at McDonalds for a glass of ice water and refill your camel back for a dollar. You can also get those packets of dried Gatorade or whatever and refill a water bottle from the camel back. I stay off the interstates and make sure I know where gas is. I use a Garmin 660 to map and it helps with gas stations and can store a lot of music. You can even look up hotels etc. on it. I do a lot of camping and you can find decent campgrounds for free in NPs if you are inclined to camp. I use a sheepskin on top of the bead seat but generally the bead seat is good for all day. The sheepskin is a little more comfortable but the bead rider seat is a lot cooler. Make time - interstates, make memories - back roads.

In a nutshell: Bead Rider seat for no sweaty ***, Camel back for water and boxer briefs to keep the twins supported. Interstate for time, back roads for memories. Eat lightly, and if you are in a hurry PG&G (pee, gas and go).

Quick Reply: First Long Ride Advice