Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First Long Ride Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Alf Head
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Long Ride Advice

Riding to Sturgis from Texas. This will be my first long ride and wanted some advice from all you iron butts. I'm particularly worried about my boney ***!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Take time to stop and smell the roses. You should be good going about 125 miles between stops unless your on a bagger, then you should be able to go a little farther. A gas stop and cold bottle of water will have you feeling ready for the next leg of your trip.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:16 PM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

I also did the ride from deep south texas to Sturgis in 2010.
It was hot back then and its hot now!

I had a water bottle at all times to splash on my head at stops or the pull out rest/picnic areas.
Once we got out of Texas it was great weather.

Good post regarding Airhawk. That and stopping/stretching your legs. All good advice!

Enjoy the ride.
I think that was the best part.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

You need to avoid Monkey Butt, AKA Swamp ***.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ur-cure-3.html

I use compression underwear, and Gold Bond medicated powder. Or even better Zeosorb powder.
http://www.zeasorb.com

Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Alf Head
Riding to Sturgis from Texas. This will be my first long ride and wanted some advice from all you iron butts. I'm particularly worried about my boney ***!
Don't start wasting money on accessories and new seats and whatever snake oil is recommended.
Jump on the bike and spend some weekend afternoons riding 200 miles at a time. At the end of a couple of those rides you will better understand what you and your bike needs to be more comfortable.

I throw sheeps wool over a stock seat and that is all that is needed.

Go buy yourself some compression shorts and wear those instead of underwear. It will make a huge difference.

Stopping and smelling the roses is great if you are sight seeing. But if you are travelling, hit the road, keep the wheels turning and get where you are going. No upside in taking 12-14 hours for an 8 hour trip.

Any other questions, just ask.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-25-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:50 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Alf Head
If you're riding north up 287 from Ft. Worth try not to be discouraged. Once you get past Amarillo your spirits will pick up as you see the West begin to unfold ahead of you. But on the way back....well, you're on your own Gatorade is your friend.

Seriously, have a great ride. There are 2 things that have the greatest probability of messing you up, IMO. Flat tire and bad battery. So I'd say carry a tire plug kit of some kind (sticky rope) and the tools you need to take your particular battery out.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:52 PM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-25-2015, 04:47 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Like all have told you hydration is the number one thing. You might not even be thirsy but keep drinking even while riding if you can. Strong sunblock is another. Good rain gear. Paper maps. A good tool kit.

Outside of good aftermarket seat preferably with s backrest the compression shorts work well. Wash them in the sink at night and air dry overnight.

Write down important contact/important info in duplicate. One set carried on you the other on the bike. Cell falls out of your pocket and your screwed as most don't remember this stuff anymore.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:58 PM
TxClassic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave early before the sun starts to bake you and drink lots of water/gatorade at each and every stop..that stretch in Texas is long and boring to Amarillo. Sun screen on exposed skin is a good idea also.

Quick Reply: First Long Ride Advice