Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Crossing Lake Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:31 PM
hdmoose16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossing Lake Michigan

A buddy and I are gonna be taking the Lake-Express ferry on Aug 14 from Muskegan, MI to Milwaukee, WI across Lake Michigan, we're gonna try and catch the 4:45 boat and was just wondering if anyone knew of a way to get discounted tickets? Tried searching but had no luck so far, any suggestions or are we stuck paying the $130 one way, plus the $8 fuel surcharge, plus $12 Port & Security fee? $150 seems steep to drag a bike across the lake.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:22 AM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, its a bit steep, but it will be a great experience. Make time to visit the H-D Museum the next day if you can. The ferry landing is just down the road from the museum.

Only discount I am aware of is if you cross after September 8th you would save $40 if on a bike.

The Lake Express ferry supplies motorcycle tie-downs if you need them.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

FYI, We just crossed on the Badgger on Saturday the 25th' if you cross on the red eye you can get a discount.

http://www.ssbadger.com

Old 07-31-2015, 04:18 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
Yeah, its a bit steep, but it will be a great experience. Make time to visit the H-D Museum the next day if you can. The ferry landing is just down the road from the museum.

Only discount I am aware of is if you cross after September 8th you would save $40 if on a bike.

The Lake Express ferry supplies motorcycle tie-downs if you need them.
I was wondering about the tie down thing. Thanks for mentioning it. So they give you the tie downs to use, but you tie your own bike down? Also, do they give you access to your bike while underway?

I also read that you and your baggage are "subject to search". I carry (have CCW permit) and was wondering about that subject to search thing. All my belongings will be in my bags, so I really don't want to leave bike alone all that much.

We plan on hitting the museum also...then it's up to iron mountain and the rest of the UP Thanks YD

Old 07-31-2015, 05:10 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yankee Dog
I just took the ferry a couple weeks ago. Yes, you tie down your own bike. They do supply the tie-down straps but I brought my own soft ties. No access to bike while ferry is underway. Before boarding the ferry they did have a security person asking some questions but he did not search my bike. Did see him check the underside of some cars with a mirror.

Hope you have a smoother boat ride than I had. There was a storm the night before and waves on the Lake during the ferry ride were 2-4 feet.

The Harley museum was excellent!

Last edited by HazyHog; 07-31-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 07-31-2015, 05:31 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
I was wondering about the tie down thing. Thanks for mentioning it. So they give you the tie downs to use, but you tie your own bike down? Also, do they give you access to your bike while underway?
I went on the Lake Express last year. They have tie downs, but to be honest, I'd bring my own next time, they were a little beat up, had to try a few to get ones that were just right. No access to the bike when underway, that said, it took me and my buddy awhile to get the bikes tied down and the boat was well underway by the time we finished and no one said anything to us. We were not searched at all either time.

Not the most comfortable seats, some food/drinks were available, was really nice out when we took the trips (we booked a two way trip) so we went out on deck, that was cool for awhile.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,742 Likes on 928 Posts

Thanks gentleman...I will probably take a nap on the way over.

Thanks for the heads up about the tie downs, I will bring my own. As far as weather, supposed to be a little breezy, so might be a little choppy out there.

I'm like a kid who is waiting for x-mas morning, can't wait to get going in the morning. Of course the saddlebags are over stuffed. I might just thin some stuff out from the bags in the morning. Who needs underwear anyways? Going for 8 days so space is kind of tight on a Dyna convertible.

Again, thanks, YD

Old 08-01-2015, 06:13 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Thanks gentleman...I will probably take a nap on the way over.

Thanks for the heads up about the tie downs, I will bring my own. As far as weather, supposed to be a little breezy, so might be a little choppy out there.

I'm like a kid who is waiting for x-mas morning, can't wait to get going in the morning. Of course the saddlebags are over stuffed. I might just thin some stuff out from the bags in the morning. Who needs underwear anyways? Going for 8 days so space is kind of tight on a Dyna convertible.

Again, thanks, YD
We took the ferry over one way years ago when I lived in Michigan on our way west and brought our own tie downs. As we didn't want to carry them around for the rest of our trip, I grabbed one of the flat rate shipping boxes from USPS, got a prepaid label for it, and just shipped them home after the ferry.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:16 PM
ottawaair
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did that trip last year.
To answer your question about ccw and searches,
Myself and my buddy both carry.
When going thru the security checkpoint, I told the guy there that we are carrying.
He asked us to unload the guns, and store them with the bike.
He then gave us a little yellow postcard and asked us to put it on the bike, some where in plain site.
That signified there was a weapon on that vehicle.
He did not search anything. Did not ask to see the guns or anything.
We got them out, emptied the chamber, and put it back in the bags. Then proceeded to go get in line to board.

I did, and would bring your own tie downs.
Tie your own bike down.
Nice D rings on deck to hook to.
Make sure the person next to you is tied down good also.
If his cones loose, its gonna be on yours.

Lastly, my bike is carburated, and the engine flooded from the waves shaking the bike around.
Next time, turn off the petcock.
It started, but took some crankin, and smelled like it was gonna shoot a ten foot flame out the pipe.