Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,981 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I believe with kids and hot bikes the legal term is that we have an "attractive nuisance". It means it is our responsibility for the most part to keep kids away from our hot bikes when parked in areas where kids may be hanging out.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice pictures....amazes me as well on our trips when we go somewhere for a specific attraction or activity and speak with the locals and they have either never seen it, or never done it.

Don't give up we still manage some good info from locals on many things.

If you find yourself near Tillamook, stop at the Barview Jetty Store, ask for the owner....Will sell you some tackle and bait, loan you a rod and tell you where to fish

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM
red sport.
Tourer
Received 222 Likes on 45 Posts

I like the write up & Pic. so. I'm subscribing. ride safe.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:21 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,018 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Yesterday we saw a lot, cold, warm, mountains and finally the Pacific!! I didn't feel to me like we made it to the West Coast until I saw the actually ocean, not bays and sounds etc.

We pulled out of Seattle around 9:00 and headed south to Destination HD, they open at 10:00 on Sunday. Needed one poker chip from Washington State. Then we finally left the Interstate and headed to Mt Rainier. We had not seen it at all in the first two days of our trip due to clouds, now she made an appearance as soon as we were south of Tacoma. We went as far as the park gate and then about 3 miles in to the first overlook. From the road:

Then from the overlook:

We would have liked have gone all the way up to Paradise, but the traffic was a little much, lots of RV's and mini vans. Plus the sign at the bottom already stated the Paradise lot was full, so we decided in the interest of time and miles, turn back and move onto the next destination.

My bucket list spot was Mt. St. Helen's, and she did not disappoint!! First off, the road in to the NP is pretty killer, big hills, 4000' change in elevation, amazing vistas the whole thing that we do these road trips for in one road. Then the mountain itself is very humbling, to see the crater that used to be the top, wow!! Rangers at the Johnston Ridge Observatory give a good talk with lots of before and after pictures. Well worth the detour if you are in the area, but keep in mind, one way in and one way out all 45 miles of it (each way). So it was a commitment of time.

From an early overlook:

And from Johnston Ridge:

(PS internet at this Best Western is not the best, taking way too long to post an image?!?!)

Posting a picture of these trees, they look like someone blurred the image! Not the case they look like that in person, weird visual effect from the branches. Anyone know what kind of trees they are, besides evergreen (nobody likes a wise ***, you know who you are):

One of the wife's selfies:

We left the mountain, back on I-5 south for a couple of miles then onto 30 West to get to the coast. Unfortunately the wind picked up and it started getting cold, like real cold. 60 at best with high wind. All the back and forth to the mountain really ate up the day and it was after 7:00 before we got into Seaside, Oregon. Cold and tired but we made it. Went to Norma's for dinner, the King Crab legs were excellent and the Buoy Beer was pretty good as well. Walking home from dinner, the beach was covered with bonfires, seems like that is what you do at night here. At has almost 10:00, we want to bed. Some pictures of Oregon and Seaside:

Astoria-Megler Bridge:

Shadow Riders:

The Pacific Ocean as seen in Seaside Oregon:

Last picture, lets hope we do not need to use these. Not too many of these on the East Coast:

In the mountains we saw "Volcanic Evacuation Route", didn't get a picture, should have turned around. It would have been up there with our "Panther Crossing" sign from the Everglades.

Overall our first real day on the road was a success. Broke my own rule though and left a little late which made us get to the hotel late. I like to be in the hotel by 5:00, 7:00 was very late. Add in a cold and tired wife, long day. But the mountains made it all worth it. Today we cruise the Oregon Coast on 101 from here to Coos Bay.

Our friends taking the ride with us seem to have gotten music dedications on the way down from Mt. St. Helen's, a little Jimmy Buffet for one and Steppenwolf for the other, even got some nice Marshall Tucker in for the wife. Great set of music that set the tone for the afternoon.

Time to hit the shower, breakfast and then back on the road. Only 59 outside right now we are in need to some sun shine. Need a little of that Death Valley heat up here in Oregon.

Last edited by Architect; 08-17-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Got back just a couple of weeks ago from the Oregon Coast. Heck of a nice ride! There are lots of fires going on right now just FYI. Coast is awesome though. Didn't get much pictures though, kinda hard while operating a bike

Old 08-17-2015, 11:02 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Architect,
Well glad you are on the road.
On Friday you hit the monsoon yuck. I was in that awful traffic.
Yes pot is legal. you must have been by all the Amazon employees on break.
Finding a person in Seattle that know anything about the state see above.
Yes summer on the coast can be a little cool. Sounds like you are cruising.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM
vegascop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You had me at Planes, Trains, and Automobiles....

Looks like you and the bike are getting a chance to stretch your legs. Oregon is full of amazing beauty and non more beautiful than its coast! Love the Tsunami signs. Stay safe looks like your having a great time! Keep the pics and ride comments coming.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Architect, nice write up and pic's, any problems with all the Wildfires out there!

Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

My guess on the trees is Doug Fir....they grow pretty quickly and produce excellent grades of lumber. Officially subscribed now and looking forward to the rest of your already fine trip report.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

Subscribing and glad that you are on the road.

Quick Reply: West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!