Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
My guess on the trees is Doug Fir....they grow pretty quickly and produce excellent grades of lumber. Officially subscribed now and looking forward to the rest of your already fine trip report.
I believe you are correct. The Douglas Fir is THE tree of Oregon.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
I believe you are correct. The Douglas Fir is THE tree of Oregon.
In Washington State too, although Hemlock is all over the place but I think they're mostly at the lower elevations. Anyway, for anyone riding through western WA, that ride up to Mt. St. Helens to the information center is really worthwhile. If you're lucky it won't blow again while you're there.....

Old 08-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Architect - One of the things you are going to notice when riding south along the coast is that almost as soon as you cross the border from Oregon to California, the Douglas Fir is replaced by the Coastal Redwood.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Shoot....before this is over we're all going to be forestry majors :-)

Old 08-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did ya do Oregon state parks Oswald West, Ecola, and Cape Meares? Ecola is one of my favorites, good high view point looking down on Cannon Beach. Cape Meares even better, but I hear there has been a mud slide on Bay Ocean Road. You would have had to approach it on 131 from the South through Netarts and Oceanside, then retrace your route to get back to 101. Too bad you couldn't take the Bay Ocean / 131 loop. It is a good ride along Tillamook Bay to Cape Meares and then down to Oceanside on 131.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...2FBFE43CDBD859

Last edited by Fireax; 08-17-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the thread...keep it coming! Ride safe!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Good morning all. Yesterday was Seaside Oregon to Coos Bay Oregon, again we got a little bit of everything. Temps in the 50's with that crazy Pacific breeze and fog/mist, amazing vistas, some nice roads, some not so nice roads and a little traffic thrown in for ***** and giggles.

Early fog/mist:

First stop, cool but too many clouds to get a good feel for the place:

We again started late thinking who long could it take to ride 215 miles, that is only three hours on the highway slab and the GPS is telling me four hours on 101, how wrong we were. As you know, can't make miles if the wheels are not turning, those damn turn offs or "viewpoints" are too tempting because they are so rewarding. Early in the morning we turned off at in Rockwork and got our first WOW!!:

(Much better WiFi at this BW)

Gotta love the panoramic from the IPhone:

This is NOT the Rockaway Beach the Ramones sang about:

Wife was getting a kick out of these signs:

So as suggested above, we did take the turn off for the Three Capes Scenic drive of Cape Kiwanda - Cape Lookout - Cape Meares (had to Google it for the right name). We did not read your post before had, just got real lucky. I saw the Parks Department signs for the Scenic Drive and the Bicycle signs telling them to turn right. I figured if it was good enough for the bicycles it was plenty good for us. Here are two BMW riders that did not want to ride with us, snobs. This is right before the turn, which they did not make and missed some of the best views:

Cool looking Air Museum at a small airport, looks like an old dirigible hanger, did not stop but if anyone knows about it:

So we find McPhillips Beach, a hell of a turn in and out on a very steep driveway, but we survive and get rewarded. We park the bike and walk the rest of the way onto the beach. Apparently you can drive anything that is registered onto the sand but I was not going for it on the bike loaded up all heavy. Took a nice walk, that big rock in the ocean is the northern side of the famous Haystack rock in Pacific City:

Me walking the sand:

And the more typical view from Pacific City:

Then the traffic started, real bad 25 MPH towns, with lights and no one wanting to move. Then the GPS locked up, I was not having a good time so we decided to pull over and have some lunch to calm down and give me a chance to reboot the GPS (Pull out the battery). Here is the view from the restaurant, Tidal Raves parking lot:

And the view from inside:

After lunch, the GPS was working again and the traffic calmed down, it seems we were past the worst of it. By now it was well after 2:00 and we needed to make some miles, but those "viewpoints" keep calling out like a siren song:

From the bike, trying to save a couple of minutes while stopping:

Had to get off for this one, Devil's Churn:

And just riding along:

Old 08-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Part 2

Over the shoulder, she has mad skills:

Seal Cave turn off, we didn't go in but nice views from their parking lot:

We are passing by the Oregon Dunes, never really got a much better look than these, tried to get closer and almost got blown of the road, literally:

Bridge into North bend Oregon:

Coos Bay is more of a working/logging town then a resort town like Seaside, who needs some lumber or chips?:

Overall another great day but we got to the hotel after 6:00 again. Local German Restaurant in town, Blue Heron, had a good Goulash and even better Hefeweizen. Not much of a town but it fit the mileage and the BW room was new and clean.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice. Now you head inland from Charley town and onto Crater Lake.
I'm enjoying the ride with you.
It's great to see it through another perspective.
Remember to take the East Rim Drive at Crater Lake. It takes a while to complete because every viewpoint is spectacular!
Coos Bay home of Steve Prefontaine the great runner at University of oregon and the early days of **** . Bod Bowerman was making his shoe bottoms on a waffle iron and Phil Knight was a student. As Pre was getting a foothold on the running scene he died tragically in a car wreck. But Knight and Bowerman went on to make **** a brand. A little history of the town

Last edited by woodman; 08-18-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Stop posting pics of the Oregon coast. We've got enough traffic on it already. LOL

Welcome to Oregon. Hope you enjoy the stay.

Zach

Quick Reply: West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!