Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,963 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Here is an additional suggestion. Go directly to your hotel, get settled and then head to the GG Bridge for sunset. Check for the time (about 8 PM) and head out there before and watch the sun go down. Right now the weather is turning nice. Last night there was an amazing red sky sunset. The summer fog is just about to clear and San Francisco gets its nicest weather in September and October. It looks good right now for the next few days.

And there is a complicated system of paying the toll on the GG Bridge. Locals have a Fastrak transponder in their cars or bikes that pay the toll. I think for out of staters they send you a bill in the mail.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

BTW, where do you plan on parking your bike near your hotel? Does the Serrano Hotel have a parking garage?

Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

In that helicopter photo the chopper is dragging a bucket that can be filled from a lake or pond and carried to a fire site.

Very touching angle there with your friend with you on his last ride.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 118 degrees at Furnace Wells- was that something you measured or a weather station reported temp? Temp on the road is often much hotter than what the weather stations report. For instance on a day when the radio reported 97 degrees here the black top outside my gate was 136 degrees. Would be interesting to me to know what actual temperature of the blacktop in the sun is at 118 ambient, and what effect that has on tire pressure. Anybody know?

Did you make the Damn tour?

Enjoying the trip! Thanks! Anxious to see what you find on the Southern California coast.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:34 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 2,559 Posts

Continuing on our journey, again we are back in time as I have missed multiple days. Unless the connection I currently have turns out to be better then it seems, this thread may need to be completed after we get home. But I have some time, lets see how we do.

After our late night swim we somehow get up early and are ready to leave our oasis. Like the laundry, breakfast is at the sister facility 4 miles back down the road, we decide we are good without and move forward. The detour for Badwater Basin is across the road from the hotel parking lot entrance, we are going to detour down and check it out. Along the way we see the road for the Devil's Golf Course. Do NOT do this on a bike, I regretted it 5 seconds after we turned onto the road, all the rocks you could ask for to puncture a tire. We survive and she loves it, like being on Mars. We hang for about 10 minutes, at 9:00 AM it is already getting hot, gotta keep moving.

Well uploading of pictures is not going to work, .

I will have to leave you all in suspense until next week, my apologies. We are in our last stop so the WiFi is not going to get any better then the crap I have right now. Sucks for me and you!?!?!?!

I will try to answer any questions you may have, will go back to some older ones after this post. But without pictures I hate to do the narrative. Plus I really need the pictures to do the write up as you can imagine. Errrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fireax
The 118 degrees at Furnace Wells- was that something you measured or a weather station reported temp? Temp on the road is often much hotter than what the weather stations report. For instance on a day when the radio reported 97 degrees here the black top outside my gate was 136 degrees. Would be interesting to me to know what actual temperature of the blacktop in the sun is at 118 ambient, and what effect that has on tire pressure. Anybody know?

Did you make the Damn tour?

Enjoying the trip! Thanks! Anxious to see what you find on the Southern California coast.
Fireax, We were told it was 118 at the Devil's Golf Course the day we got in. Someone else mentioned temps above 140 degrees for roadway temps, but I have no way to confirm or deny that claim. I will say that it felt hotter and more uncomfortable in Vegas then DV with the heat radiating at you from all directions. Somehow the heat was "cleaner" in the Valley.

We made it to the Dam, but the tours were sold out for the day. Just as well, had some GPS drama before with "her" taking us via the Strip to get to the dam!?!? Wife was a little worse for wear so we hid in the shade, ate some food and lots of water. Only time the heat really got to either of us, lucky we had a place to chill out. Traffic just got really bad around the dam and like I said, the heat somehow felt worse, coming at you form all directions.

Maybe it was in our minds, not sure. Full story of that day if I ever get a decent connection again.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
In that helicopter photo the chopper is dragging a bucket that can be filled from a lake or pond and carried to a fire site.

Very touching angle there with your friend with you on his last ride.
That was my original thought, but it looks way too small to carry any significant amount of water.

Our buddies first/last ride (he was not a biker just a dear friend) had him dropped of at Venice and San Simeon beaches. In his youth he made his own skateboards and surfed off of Long Island so my guess is that is why he liked Venice. His step-son was married on the beach in San Simeon, again a guess why they wanted him dropped off their. We got to have a drink with him at the San Simeon drop off, during an amazing sunset. Pictures to follow.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
A couple of questions. What is your route from San Simeon to SF? If it is along the coast, stop for a meal at Nepente. http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/. There are outdoor seats that face south and gives you a great view of the coast. What might be your route from there?

And regarding the GG Bridge, do you want a route that takes you there first before the hotel? Or after?
We stopped at Nepenthe in Big Sur, cool little stop off. Sat at the middle cafe deck and had a drink and a smoothie. From their website and your suggestion I was expecting a hole in the wall locals hang out that you could only find if you knew where it was, today it seemed like all of Big Sur knew of it's location!!

Thanks for the suggestion, it was enjoyed.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:50 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Architect - Here is what I would suggest. Take the PCH along the coast to Santa Cruz. You could continue along the coast to San Francisco but I have a better suggestion. You have already seen the best parts of the coast. From Santa Cruz to San Francisco there is more coast but there is another option.

When you get to Santa Cruz, leave the coast and take Route 9 through the towns of Felton, Ben Lomand and Boulder Creek all the way to the top of the ridge where Highway 9 meets Route 35, Skyline Drive. Then head north on 35, which is also known as Skyline Drive for 25 miles to Route 92. You then head east on 92 for two miles until the stop light at the bottom of the hill and make a left there for a half mile or so. Then go over the 280 freeway and then make left onto the freeway.

What this will do is to take you through a coastal redwood forest that is still intact in places. It is a real nice ride. So you will have had lots of coast, and then a dense redwood forest.

On Skyline, about half way from 9 to 92, there is an intersection where 35 meets 84. This is known as "Alice's". It is the big biker hangout on the San Francisco Peninsula. On Saturday or Sunday morning there will be about 100 bikers hanging out there. I don't know how many you will find on a Friday afternoon but there will likely be a few. You can stop there for a break or just to chat. If you want to eat, Alice's is on the left side of the road and the Skylonda convenience store is on the right. Park on either side and give your legs a stretch.

Just before the intersection of 35 and 92 there is a scenic overlook on the right where nice pics can be taken.

To get directly to your hotel you take 280 north all the way until it ends at 6th street. A few miles before that there is a big interchange. Be in the #3 or #4 lanes. They will take you to the 280 north extension. There could be stopped traffic as you try to exit at 6th street. This is where you lane split if necessary to get through all the stopped traffic if that is what is there. You continue on 6th Street for almost a mile and then 6th Street crosses Market Street and becomes Taylor. Just go a half mile or so to your hotel at 405 Taylor.

Regarding the GG bridge, that really depends on fog and traffic. I would probably wait until Saturday. But if you want to go on Friday, take the 19th Avenue exit of 280 (the left three lanes of 280 at that intersection). Take this across the city, through Golden Gate Park and the Presedio (old military base). That leads to the GG bridge. To get back to your hotel, use the gps. The direction will be complicated.

So it will likely be foggy when you hit Daly city (near the 19th avenue exit) on 280, and I would stay on 280, go to your hotel and go to the bridge sometime on Saturday. It will be crowded and maybe foggy regardless. This is the height of the tourist season here.

Let me know if you have any questions. I know this is a lot but sort through it.
OK a bit of a spoiler, but this is what we did route wise today. Rode up 1 pretty much all the way to Santa Cruz and then took a detour to Johnny's in Hollister. I could not resist, had to be done. Got there and it was HOT, inside for a drink and a pretty dam good hot dog. After outside we had the discussion, which route do you want to take into San Fran. Direct route was a no, then the heat became the controlling factor, so we decided to head back to 1 and the cool ocean breeze.

Well that backfired on us, fog rolled in and we almost froze are butts off north of Davenport. But we survived with a quick top to add on a layer and made into town with very little traffic, a couple of minutes on 280 before the split to 80 to get off at the 7th street exit. Thanks for your suggestion, we might have been better off but the need to be out of the heat won out.

I did stop out your route, was not confusing at all once I had a map in front of me, it really did almost happen, next time.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

I look forward to hearing about the rest of the vacation but happy that it seemed to work well for the both of you. You get to meet the folks at Dudley Perkins tomorrow. I've been doing business with them for almost 25 years now. I know they will take care of you and your bike well.

I don't know if you have checked out the Golden Gate Bridge yet or if that is still on your schedule. Here is the hour by hour weather for San Francisco

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/94127:4:US

As you see, it is going to mostly be in the 60's and cloudy. There is a small possibility of sprinkles for tomorrow morning. It would be the first weather system from the Gulf of Alaska, where a lot of our winter storms come from. We are hoping for a very wet winter. You should be able to get some kind of a view from the GG bridge. There is a road that goes out to the west of the bridge on the Marin side. If you can find it, take it. It only goes a mile or so but there are fantastic views of the bridge and city from this road. The turnoff for this road in right before you get on the bridge on the Marin side. If you are up that way, stay in the extreme right lane and exit almost as you are about to get onto the bridge There is a bunch of messy merging traffic there so you should be going slow and will see what I mean. Fantastic views. It will be a fitting end to the ride.

Quick Reply: West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!