Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,922 Likes on 2,565 Posts
Default West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!

So here we go, the trip has begun and we made it to Seattle. Here is the rundown of the day so far, real Planes, Trains and Automobile kind of day:

- Car service from the house to JFK, hit the road at 4:30 AM
- Flight left JFK at 7:10 NY time, landed at 10:00 AM Pacific Time
- You take a train at the Seattle Airport to go from the gates to the baggage claim, like Orlando/Disney if you ever have been
- took a cab to the warehouse that the bike was sent to, sat in some traffic in Tacoma.
- Bike comes out of warehouse still strapped to palette, all looks good

BUT THEN.......

- Some jackass turned the ignition on, like a week ago!!! Battery is a total flatline, nothing. So they have a shop style battery charger, that takes almost 45 minutes to revive the bike
- Finally we are on the road, GPS freaks out from the battery charging activities and Oh yeh we need gas since I had to almost drain the tank
- Get gas, GPS starts to come back to life and we hit 5 North to get form Tacoma up to Seattle

AND THEN......

- it starts to rain, starts as a spittle, then a drizzle, then full blown thunder and lightning storm. I have the rain gear pants on, she only wanted her jacket. Trying to suck it up and ride, then we hit the traffic getting into Seattle.

Well now we are in the hotel and the bike is tucked in for the night at barely 2:00 PM. Tomorrow is supposed to be much better weather. Time for a beer for sure, long day but not too bad glad to be here getting this party started.

Here is a shot of the inside of the warehouse, racks of bikes:

Our bike on the pallete being delivered to us:

Another thing we are doing on this trip is dropping off the cremains of two dear friends, one that just passed and my wife's father who rode back in the day. Friend is going to San Simeon and Venice beaches per his wife's request, father-in-law is going to Yosemite. Father-in-Law gets around, been to Sturgis and some other places over the years. Here is a shot of the cremation jewelry that they are traveling within, around my wife's neck.

The following users liked this post:
FLHS1990 (10-04-2023)
Old 08-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Welcome to the West Coast. I just got back from a 3,800 mile ride around the American West that included a few days in Sturgis. I hope your ride is as good as mine was. Looking forwarded to hearing the details and any questions you might have.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:20 PM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just subscribing, along for the ride......just thought I would add, we were just out your way.....3000 miles from Michigan to Maine, down the coast to Cape Cod, rode into New York City, then up to Hunter Mountain and across to Michigan....beautiful area......if your bored, some picture in the thread we started.

Just had to add.....if you hit New Port make sure and stop and check out the Sea Lions..

Last edited by 2PawsRiver; 08-14-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:52 PM
Slow Road
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little warning. Not about the heat though.

When you leave Yosemite and head down to 395 you need to be aware of the speed limits on 395. They enforce the speed limit very strictly at times. Just cool the jets and do the limit. You'll not need to worry about the bubble gum lites that way.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Oh yeah, did anyone mention it rains in Washington and Oregon?? Welcome to the west! Have a great trip!!

Old 08-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Slow Road
A little warning. Not about the heat though.

When you leave Yosemite and head down to 395 you need to be aware of the speed limits on 395. They enforce the speed limit very strictly at times. Just cool the jets and do the limit. You'll not need to worry about the bubble gum lites that way.
Good advice. When traveling south on 395, there is a point north of Bishop where there is a long decent into the Owens Valley. You go from about 7,000 feet to 4,000 feet. The road is long and straight. It is very easy for your speed to creep up on this section. It is particularly heavily patrolled. I know several riders who have gotten tickets in this stretch.

As it happens, I was riding a bit on 395 today near Lee Vining. I rode over the high country of Yosemite going west to east on 120. It was the last day of my return ride from Sturgis. You'll be going in the opposite direction, eastward, which for a number of reasons is even more dramatic. The decent into the Mono Lake Basin on the east side of Tioga Pass is much nicer eastbound then the westbound view which I took this morning. But all views of the high country are as good in either direction.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:39 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is the ten day weather forecast for Death Valley National Park. What day do you expect to cross Death Valley? Where do you expect to stay the night before?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/CANPDV:13:US

Old 08-15-2015, 07:03 AM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are some dangerous temperatures in Death Valley. Try to ride early in the morning and later at night avoiding the hottest time in the afternoon. We once rode a cross western Colorado from Steamboat Springs to Dinosaur, Utah in the heat of the afternoon, 105F+ and it was intense. Like riding in a convection oven. We wet down the T Shirts every half hour or so and drinks as much water as we could. It was only 3 hours or so but it was so good to get off the bikes and jump I. The swimming pool at the hotel!

If you are going to ride through Yosemite check the phase of the moon to see if it will be near to a full moon. We once stayed just outside of the west entrance at a full moon. The owners of the B&B told us to ride into the park at night and go the the tunnel overlook toward the valley. As the moon came up it was stunningly beautiful, the cliffs seemed glow! Well worth the trip in the dark.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Here is the ten day weather forecast for Death Valley National Park. What day do you expect to cross Death Valley? Where do you expect to stay the night before?

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/CANPDV:13:US
Death Valley is Saturday Sunday coming up, I see we will be there when it cools down to 110!!! All good we got this.

At the Pikes Peak Market:

Some seafood chowder, real good stuff plus the halibut was great:

Some coffee at the Market (PS it didn't look that good when they gave to us, we dolled it up for the picture):

Seattle was a blast last night, found a little French joint down by the water, Place Pigalle. We got there before dinner for some drinks, bartender was bored just us and two other people. Let me try all of his local beers and some fancy Rye. Wife was doing the same with a range of tequilas. After about three hours we decided it was time for bed, he gives me a bill for $32, nice. Gave a $20 tip and then we walked back to hotel. A little sushi and off to bed.

Sushi was cool, just like the movies with the little plates on the conveyor belt and you take what you want. Salmon on the belt:

Deception Pass today, so later we might actually have some RIDING photos.

Last edited by Architect; 08-15-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Day two is over, weather still not if full cooperation. A little bit of rain and temps only in the 60's, still better than being at work. Leaving this morning for Oregon coast, Seattle has been good to us.

So yesterday we rode down to the market to have some breakfast, I got a spot right in front of the place, tourists EVERYWHERE. And the bad kind, wife almost killed some lady that thought it would be OK to have her toddler climbing on the hot bike! That would have been our fault I am sure when it went bad, happily it did not. Cop came by to remind me it was 30 minute parking only and actually chalked my tire, I thought that was funny. Picture of bike and me in the background having coffee:

We then rode out of town to points north. The plan was Deception Pass and Whidbey Island, but none of the locals could give us any clues on best route. People telling me they have lived in Seattle their entire lives but have never been to the Pass!?!? So we did direct on I-5 north then 20 West to the island. Well that was a mistake, I-5 basically sucks, every time we get on it we hit traffic, plus half way up it started to rain.

Well we made it to 20 and stopped for gas while still on the main land, and we saw some sun. Then to Deception Pass, it was worth the effort. Very cool bridge, me being a bridge fan. Pictures of the bridge:

On the bridge:

And then we took the hike down to the beach and took pictures under the bridge. There is a second parking lot much closer to the beach that you find after you have walked down a very steep trail, would be good to find that instead of parking at the top:

After that we head south on 20 to go to the ferry back to the mainland. Weather was still over cast and 60's, not the best for an August ride. To be honest, the island was fairly unremarkable riding, but we did enjoy the pass. Naval station on the island:

And then the ferry back to Seattle plus some Space Needle pictures. Met a group of riders waiting for the ferry, sport touring metric bikes. Guy on a Ducati wanted to give me SOA flack since I was on an actually Harley, whatever. I told him I have been practicing shooting from the bike but it wasn't as easy as it looks, conversation kind of ended there. "Go get back on your duck". Ferry is quick, about 25 minutes, very calm water.

We did not go up the needle, just got next to it and went into the lobby. Parking on the street was a little sketchy with all the locals hanging out smoking, not sure if pot is legal in this state but if it isn't they are not doing a great job enforcing the laws:

And for my wife, she just took this picture from our hotel room as I was typing, first time the big red ball has made a proper appearance:

Quick Reply: West Coast in August - We are on the Road!!!