Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New England states

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default New England states

I am looking for scenic ride recommendations for the NE states. I want to hit all six states and some fall foliage, staying away from big cities if possible. Is there a GPS route somewhere that picks up the scenic parts, covered bridges, and stuff like that?? Thinking about the 1st week in October.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 AM
USAFANGWINGNUT67
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked at this site:
http://www.leafpeepers.com/contents.htm

Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Dcampri
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New England states

This is a great site with many rides in the northeast. http://www.newenglandriders.org
I live in Rhode Island however rides here are short for obvious reasons. Stay near the coast on Rt 1 and the ride from CT up through south county and over the bridges to Newport is nice. Have your ez pass for the Newport bridge and other NE states
I am partial to New Hampshire for riding. The primary roads are in great shape. A loop around the White Mountains including Mt Washington is popular. You can ride up the auto road on Mt Washington but it is challenging and will test your bike and its rider.
I just got back from a couple of days riding in Vermont in the Burlington and Lake Champlain area. It's as scenic as it gets there. I haven't taken the bike to Maine yet. It is a huge state and I believe most riders stick to the coast.
Connecticut just plain sucks. Cagers are a nasty bunch there. Massachusetts is my nemesis with varying radius on and off ramps on every highway just waiting to trip up the unwary.
Lots to see. Have a fun ride.

Last edited by Dcampri; 08-19-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I haven't been up that way in awhile, but if I went back, I'd skip CT & RI & eastern MA because of the normal traffic there. If you're taking your time, I'd suggest you try the Mohawk Trail in MA, Rte 100 in VT (actually, anywhere in VT is scenic), and play in the NH mountains by riding around Rtes 2, 16 , 302 & "The Kank". There's going to be lots of peepers, so riding may be slow.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Rt 7 through Connecticut is a great ride. And the State is repaving most of it. Jump on from Rt 84 and you can take it North into Massachusetts.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:33 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Rte 105 in Mass is very scenic and rural. Right off 495 in Lakeville. Will take you down to rte 6 in Mattapoisette I think. From there can take one of the bridges to the cape.

Kangamangus hgwy, rte 112 in NH. Great for looking at colorful leaves, atthe right time of year. I usually start at 93, up and over to Conway, then back down 95 via Spaulding tnpk. Conway and N. Conway is a nice area to bed down for the night. Big Ski and tourist area. Lots of night life

Old 08-23-2015, 07:21 AM
harleydude68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Route 4 in Vermont through the mountains is always nice in the fall. White River Junction and route 89 in New Hampshire as well. I also agree with the previous posts, Rte 112 / Kangamangus Hwy in NH. Massachusetts Rte 2 / Mohawk Trail West of rte 495 and all the way to Adams Mass. The coast of Connecticut and Rhode Island is always nice, Look up Mystic CT, Point Judith RI and of course Newport RI. Maine: It really in my opinion is all about the coast which is Seacoast Rte 1. No matter where you go, Have a great time and be safe.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:33 AM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

In central MA, there is a gorgeous ride around the Quabbin. Part of it is route 202. Thats a nice ride in the fall.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:06 AM
smithmx47
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In Mass: Rt105 Middleboro (which is were I live) Lakeville thru Rochester to Rt 6 RT to Rt 28 to the Cape Cod Canal (over the Bourne Bridge or Sagamore to the Cape or to 3A Plymouth, Duxbury, Hull is a great ride. In NH: RT 113 in Holderness (Squam lake, Which is were On Golden Pond was filmed and lunch at The Bass Hole on the lake)112 Which is the Kancamagus, Bear Notch rd off the Kank is a great ride also, will bring you in to Bartlett. also 302. Enjoy ..

Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I've never been to any of the New England states. I'm planning on making a solo trip to cape cod around the end of September. I am starting to wonder if I made a wise choice because all I have been hearing about that area is the bad traffic.

Quick Reply: New England states