Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Maine Vermont NH area road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:19 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Maine Vermont NH area road trip?

Need some areas to see. History and natural areas are our thing. Not Branson/Pigeon ford kind of areas. Any must see areas. Search wasn't pulling anything up for me.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Dcampri
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Maine Vermont NH area road trip?

Not sure where your coming from but this site has ride suggestions and descriptions for all New England states.
I live in RI but ride in NH and Vermont often. Not so much in Maine yet
http://www.newenglandriders.org

Old 08-26-2015, 07:56 PM
8828alex
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are a decent rider you should ride Mt Washington in NH , get there first thing in the morning or you will be doing 10 mph all the way up and down . it is the best road in new england. also ride the Kangamungus hwy south of MT Washington . watch out around i-95 for lack of hotel space during weekend stays during summer months. Acadia national park in Maine is a nice ride also. while i was there i stayed at the best western right near the park and paid $165 for the night , the next day i saw a bunch of cottages further south on rt 1a for $65 . From there i rode rt 1 all the way to New Brunswick.on the return trip i ate at Louis Lunch one of the birthplaces of the hamburger in Hew Haven CT. (CLOSED IN AUGUST). good luck on your trip!!!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:31 AM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from a similar trip last Saturday. We did 2,200 miles in eight days from Leesburg, VA to Bangor, ME. We took I-81 to I-84 and got off the Interstate at Taconic Parkway. We made our way up to St. Johnsbury, VT, then took US-2 all the way across to Bangor. US-2 was a nice road.

While based out of Bangor, we made trips to Schoodic Point one day and Bar Harbor the next. Both were nice rides and the coastline is beautiful. We did go to the top of Cadillac Mountain to watch the sunrise, then went into Bar Harbor for breakfast and just to walk around. We did the loop road once the fog lifted, and took the time to stop at Sand Beach and Thunder Hole as well as a couple other scenic overlooks. Then went back to Bar Harbor for a Lobster Lunch.

Unfortunately, we did not make it to Mount Washington, and only heard about Kangamungus Highway as we were riding out of the state on our way home. We were two-up and heavily loaded, so weren't pushing any limits in the twisties.

If you ride some of the back roads in Maine you will find they are horribly rough. Winters and logging trucks take their toll on the roads and it appears to be a constant battle to maintain them. Some of the roads just beat you to death, and in some places there was nice, new, fresh pavement. A crapshoot...

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and will go back again someday. We travelled with another couple, and have decided we will not do that again anytime soon without some baseline understandings established at the outset. That was the only fly in an otherwise great ointment.

John

Old 08-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Dont see where you gave us any time limit? My Favorite state to ride in this area is Maine-but bothNH and VT have great rides--I could give you many ideas[loops-day rides-base area to stay] but without a time table--1 week-2 weeks? there is plenty here!!!! Make your way into Manchester VT hit rt 30n make your way to 108--hit 2 into NH ride the Mt Washington area[302--112] head into Maine 2 towards Bangor--or 5 or 302 towards Portland-Head up the coast towards Bar Harbor[do Cadilac Mt and Loop] if you have time make your way to Madawaska[one of the 4points] nice dedicated park to bikers--I wouldnt do rt 11 back from there[not fun] In Nh again do a loop around Lake Winni--make your way back to Vt--Try rt 9 to 100- to rt 2 in Mass to any road south of rt 2------have fun---Rocker