Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Natchez Trace

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 11:11 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by J929626
I left Houston around 10 am on Wednesday and stopped in Clinton, MS for the night. Got back on the Trace early Thursday and road the rest of the way to Nashville. Because of the early start was able to make it through Jackson without much trouble.

I lived in Jackson (Ridgeland actually) for a few years and I don't live far from there now. That is really my only gripe about the Trace. With the North part of the metro area growing so fast traffic has become ridiculous. Some people have been using the Trace as a daily commuting route, and at certain times it can get pretty bad between North Jxn (Madison) and Clinton.

Damn I wish I would have known you were in Clinton I would have played host. I don't live but just a few minutes from there. I would have been glad to show you around. If you come through next time down I-20, give me a shout.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

A very pleasant, easy drive.
Similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway, but without the hills and steep curves.

Two cousins and I rode the Trace from Nashville down to Port Gibson (just north of Natchez, MS).

We saw a few deer, lots of wild turkeys, and one or two wild turkey's driving cars as if they were on the interstate!

We stopped by the H-D dealership in Jackson, MS so I could get two poker chips and my cousin ended up trading in his '92 Heritage (that I sold him in '94) and riding out on a new Tri-Glide!
Great folks there, especially the owner Earl.
They do an annual event during the week prior to the "Rolling Thunder" ride to D.C honoring all of our armed forces and every war that they have participated in. Something worth doing if you have the time.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:46 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

A few years ago we rode the Trace while coming home from one of HD's Anniversaries. We did the whole thing from Nashville area to Natchez. I really like the ride and would look forward to doing it again. Stop at the historic sites and learn about the pioneers of this great country.

Bill

Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM
John5395
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
A few years ago we rode the Trace while coming home from one of HD's Anniversaries. We did the whole thing from Nashville area to Natchez. I really like the ride and would look forward to doing it again. Stop at the historic sites and learn about the pioneers of this great country.

Bill
Will do. Thanks for all the replies. Looking forward to seeing my son and the trip in general. Trying to plan 2 or 3 different routes in case I need to ride around any weather. But I guess that's why I have good rain gear.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:28 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been riding the trace for many years and you will love it. Great place to relax and see some cool sites. Camping is free at a couple places and some day you will want to ride the entire trace. We always have fun in Natchez and a great lunch stop at French Camp. Ride safe bro

Old 08-28-2015, 08:31 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

If you're at the north end of the Trace (near Nashville) near breakfast time, check out the Loveless Café.
Good southern food and a service station nearby if you need fuel before heading south.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:54 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I live near Jackson MS and ride the trace a good bit. As others have said 50 mph speed limit, no commercial vehicles not red lights or stop signs. Some parts are boring but there are many roadside stops at points of interest. The road is always kept in great shape so it makes for nice riding. Its my go to ride when the temps hit the 100s around here as it is usually shady on the trace. Like others have said turkeys and deer are abundant on the trace so beware if your riding after dark. In MS we are so over populated with deer that they are plentiful and have no fear of wandering across the roads in front of you

Old 08-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

I'm on the other side of the opinion bandwagon here....I rode the "Trace" once when I first moved to the Nashville area.

It is the most boring ride I've ever been on.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:03 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I'm on the other side of the opinion bandwagon here....I rode the "Trace" once when I first moved to the Nashville area.

It is the most boring ride I've ever been on.
I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but I agree many parts are boring. I have ridden from end to end (Nashville - Natchez) several times and am usually on parts of the trace around the Jackson MS area a few times a week.

What I like about it is the lack of traffic, no stop light or stop signs its just straight cruising. The other big draw to me is when we are hitting upper 90s and low 100s in the MS summer the trace offers some relief as most of it is shady

Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but I agree many parts are boring. I have ridden from end to end (Nashville - Natchez) several times and am usually on parts of the trace around the Jackson MS area a few times a week.

What I like about it is the lack of traffic, no stop light or stop signs its just straight cruising. The other big draw to me is when we are hitting upper 90s and low 100s in the MS summer the trace offers some relief as most of it is shady

It's a nice road but the speed limit is just stupid....50 MPH? Really?
That might be cool for the "I ride like an old woman" crowd, but to me and the guys I ride with it'd be like walking.

Quick Reply: Natchez Trace