Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride Report: 11 Day - Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Colorado Loop

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 01:58 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Final Day - Home

Day 11, Amarillo to Home (Arlington, TX) - 350 miles

We were up at 5:00AM for the ride home. We wanted to ride early to avoid the heat. We'd been in the mountains where the high was not more than around 80 degrees and at home it had been in the 100 degree range. That's a big difference. Here's our route for the day.

Leaving Amarillo.

It's almost sunrise about 50 miles down the road.

This is representative of the scenery all the way home.

I'm not sure you can read it, but that's a Fort Worth water tower. We're almost home.

Just turned onto my street.

Going up my driveway. I'm not sure what GoPro did to this pic. It's the only one I couldn't get the fish-eye out of. Plus the aspect ratio is different. ??

I set odometer 'B' to zero 11 days ago before we left. We rode 3,625 miles.

Well, the trip's over. We had a very good time, rode some great roads and I'm ready to go again, now. I had been everywhere we went on this trip except the Black Hills. I really enjoyed riding there, but the larger mountains to the west are still the best. We were fortunate not to have any mechanical problems or any other riding problems. A great trip!!!

If anyone wants, I have all the .gpx files of the routes that I can email to you. Just let me know.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like a fun trip. Beautiful area

Old 09-19-2015, 07:15 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

So most these pictures were taken with a gopro? Where did you have it mounted? Do you have a remote to snap the pictures? I absolutely loved reading this thread. Heading that way in two years and really looking forward to it.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tmultra
So most these pictures were taken with a gopro? Where did you have it mounted? Do you have a remote to snap the pictures? I absolutely loved reading this thread. Heading that way in two years and really looking forward to it.

It's mounted on the inside part of the fairing just to the left and outside of the windshield. In other words, it doesn't take pictures through the windshield, it's just to the left of it. I do have the GoPro remote mounted to the left handlebar so I can easily reached over and press it. I have the camera set on still pictures so I get just the one snapshot with each press. The camera battery will only last around two hours, so I have four and rotate them. I turn the camera off while buying gas or going through an area I know I won't take pictures. That way I can get more than a total of 8 hours from my batteries. This usually only applies on real long ride days as most days are less than 8 hours. Another thing, the remote battery certainly won't last long, so I have it plugged into a USP adapter in my cigarette lighter port. So it stays powered when the ignition is on. This was the first trip I've done this and I'm pleased with the outcome. I took over 400 pictures with the GoPro on this trip, of course they're not all posted here and many were very similar, especially in the flat parts of the country.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 AM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks, I've been on many of those roads and it brings back great memories.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:12 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Robert I really enjoyed your post. I left Kansas city and went up to the Sturgis rally for the last weekend. Then on up to Cody and rode Yellowstone, Red Lodge area for a couple of days. Then went threw Jackson hole to Rock Springs. Down thru Vernal, UT threw Colorado and back to KC. 3822 miles in 9 days. Camping 8 out of 9 days. Some beautiful scenery. You took more pics then I did. I've been thru most of the areas a few years ago. Sounds like you had a great trip. I also am ready to head out again. I love that area. Thanks for the memories and reminding me of my trip. Looks like I need to attach a camera to my bike before my next trip.

Attached Thumbnails Ride Report:  11 Day - Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Colorado Loop-picture-075.jpg   Ride Report:  11 Day - Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Colorado Loop-picture-141.jpg   Ride Report:  11 Day - Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Colorado Loop-picture-165.jpg  

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 09-20-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:26 PM
chadbob
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a great trip. I really love when guys take time to share their trips with everyone. Thanks so much!

Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

I finally got around to updating my website with this trip. It contains a few more pics than I posted here, if you're interested.

http://texasharleyrider.com/black-hills-2015/

Last edited by robertwy; 11-25-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Correct URL
Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Skidbiker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert, excellent ride report. Thanks for taking the time to post. I have a couple of questions. Exactly how do you mount your GoPro? I had mine mounted on the fairing with a stick-on mount, but the vibration blurred the video. Maybe taking pictures is different.

And I like how you can scroll down through your pictures and look at the captions you put above to explain, and you can have many pictures in your report. I looked in the FAQ's and am not understanding how to do that apparently. I am doing it the slow way of the five attachment max process.

Thanks, Kenny

Old 10-01-2015, 07:57 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Skidbiker
Robert, excellent ride report. Thanks for taking the time to post. I have a couple of questions. Exactly how do you mount your GoPro? I had mine mounted on the fairing with a stick-on mount, but the vibration blurred the video. Maybe taking pictures is different.

And I like how you can scroll down through your pictures and look at the captions you put above to explain, and you can have many pictures in your report. I looked in the FAQ's and am not understanding how to do that apparently. I am doing it the slow way of the five attachment max process.

Thanks, Kenny
My GoPro is mounted to the fairing with one of the stick-on mounts like you mentioned. It probably has to do with the the settings for videos. I would look but my son has borrowed my camera and I'll have to look later. I know you can set it to take different speeds and qualities, I don't remember my settings but I've taken several videos that don't have vibration distortion. When I get it back, I'll let you know my settings.

The way I insert photos is:

I first type an explanation of the photo I'm about to insert. Then using the little icon at the top that looks like this you can insert any photo that's on your computer or any device that's connected to your computer. When you click that little icon, a new screen opens to insert a photo, use the "Browse Your Device" button to find the photo on your computer, double click the photo file or click "Open" in the browse window. That will copy the photo to the forums insert screen then all you do is click the insert button.

Here's an example of what you'll see as you're doing this:
Here we are riding to the top of Mt. Evans (this is your explanation of the photo you're about to insert)
(IMG]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdforums.com-vbulletin/25x18/80-insert_photo_3b8cf010deb1c8e15a14f580f737a104e.png[/IMG) (this represents the actual photo, it's html code. This is what you see when you're in the editing mode of your post. You can use the "Preview Post" button at the bottom to see what it will look like when you actually submit the post.)
The only difference is I changed the brackets around the photo text to parenthesis so you can see what it looks like. If I hadn't done that it would have inserted the actual photo.

So you just keep doing that over and over until you have all the explanations and photos you want. I don't know if there's a limit to how many you can do, I know I did several in my ride report. You don't have to worry about re sizing the photos, the forum software does it for you automatically.

Quick Reply: Ride Report: 11 Day - Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Colorado Loop