Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride Report: 11 Day - Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Colorado Loop

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:37 PM
thirt8spl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Robert - excellent write up! Not to turn this into a GoPro derail but - have you looked at HogTag Collars? They make a really nice vibration free fork mount and more to your point, they sell a battery eliminator for the GoPro. It plugs into the camera case just like a battery and runs the camera off a USB port that you plug into the power port just like your remote. The nice thing is you don't get the heat generation of charging the battery while in the case, no overheat worries. Speaking of remotes - I have mine on the bars like you do and did you know you can turn the remote off without turning the camera off (if the camera is active). If I have the camera taking time lapse photos or shooting vid, I can turn the remote off by holding the power button on the remote, the camera keeps shooting. On long runs, I'll set the camera to shoot a pic every 30 seconds, start the shot and then turn off the remote. It doesn't work in all situations such as wanting the specific shot (have to wait for remote to boot) but it does extend remote life a bit.

Again thanks for the write up, I was in that area 2 years ago and the memory flood was needed.

Old 10-01-2015, 02:56 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by thirt8spl
Robert - excellent write up! Not to turn this into a GoPro derail but - have you looked at HogTag Collars? They make a really nice vibration free fork mount and more to your point, they sell a battery eliminator for the GoPro. It plugs into the camera case just like a battery and runs the camera off a USB port that you plug into the power port just like your remote. The nice thing is you don't get the heat generation of charging the battery while in the case, no overheat worries. Speaking of remotes - I have mine on the bars like you do and did you know you can turn the remote off without turning the camera off (if the camera is active). If I have the camera taking time lapse photos or shooting vid, I can turn the remote off by holding the power button on the remote, the camera keeps shooting. On long runs, I'll set the camera to shoot a pic every 30 seconds, start the shot and then turn off the remote. It doesn't work in all situations such as wanting the specific shot (have to wait for remote to boot) but it does extend remote life a bit.

Again thanks for the write up, I was in that area 2 years ago and the memory flood was needed.
Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't aware of the HogTag collars or the battery replacement. I'll check them both out.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:40 PM
mgardner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this - I really enjoyed reading it and am inspired to retrace your steps. Your maps will be a big help when I start programming the GPS. Looks like a fantastic trip! May be a little late in the year now to do it, but perhaps next Spring.

How do bison react to motorcycles? They can sometimes be aggressive, and I would hate to be that exposed if one gets excited. Those probably see so many vehicles they don't care any more, but I'd hate to meet the touchy one.

And I appreciate the information about the HogTag - just bought one, and based on some of the pictures I saw from your trip will be using my GoPro more for ride pics...

Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mgardner
Thanks for posting this - I really enjoyed reading it and am inspired to retrace your steps. Your maps will be a big help when I start programming the GPS. Looks like a fantastic trip! May be a little late in the year now to do it, but perhaps next Spring.

How do bison react to motorcycles? They can sometimes be aggressive, and I would hate to be that exposed if one gets excited. Those probably see so many vehicles they don't care any more, but I'd hate to meet the touchy one.

And I appreciate the information about the HogTag - just bought one, and based on some of the pictures I saw from your trip will be using my GoPro more for ride pics...
I still have the .gpx files if you want them I can email them to you.

I think you're right about the bison being conditioned to so much traffic. They basically ignored us. But like you said, I'd hate to meet up with the one that happened to be in a bad mood that day.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:48 AM
thirt8spl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I do have to offer a caveat on the battery replacement - make sure you have a high output usb power port. My original did not put out enough juice to run the camera with wifi turned on and charge my phone at the same time and the camera would shut off. I got a high output one and that cured it. Also, play with the camera and operating in real life situations before you need it for something crucial. I had to start the camera after I started the bike as the draw to the starter dropped the voltage enough to shut off the camera. The remote on the bars (like we have) is great for monitoring the status of the camera (making sure it is still on, LOL). The eliminators are nice but like everything, just learn what it needs before you absolutely need it. Have fun!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Toliverpeterson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the post. We are thinking of a Yellowstone loop this year while at Sturgis.

For the couple of you who who mentioned mounting your GoPro remotes on your handlebar, how did you do that?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:08 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Toliverpeterson
Love the post. We are thinking of a Yellowstone loop this year while at Sturgis.

For the couple of you who who mentioned mounting your GoPro remotes on your handlebar, how did you do that?
My remote is mounted using the velcro strap that came with it. Doesn't look very professional, but it works. I mounted it as close to the left grip as I could, right next to the switch housing.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:29 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Excellent post and report! Thank you for sharing!

Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

I was two weeks behind you and heading for the Beartooth when they closed it due to snow and ice conditions.

Good report I enjoyed it.

Here's a shot of the Grand Tetons as I headed south for the Grand Canyon and warmer weather.

Last edited by Joe Mc; 11-25-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:05 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Enjoyed the report and pictures, thanks for sharing.

I thoroughly enjoy these trip reports and appreciate the effort it takes to put together.

We went to most of the same places a couple years ago. Definitely a "must do" trip.

Going to Colorado, Utah and around next summer.

Quick Reply: Ride Report: 11 Day - Black Hills, Beartooth, Yellowstone, Colorado Loop