Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Roadtrip to Mexico planning

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 01:46 PM
fidgit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I have contacted EagleMark about this to get their policy and was told that a letter can be sent if I give them 2-3weeks notice but I can only be in Mexico for 30days max. Seems like a pain in the *** but I guess I'm stuck w that.

I still don't have anything concrete that says I HAVE to have the letter but I'll probably just do it. Has to be better than getting stuck without it.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,782 Posts

I just noticed my State Farm has a standard Mexico 6767H limited endorsement. Not that I am about to go there in a car much less a bike.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Curious, where are you crossing and planning on going?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:19 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

search rtwdoug over there for Harley stories,

Old 09-26-2015, 10:45 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

You will need Mexican insurance on your vehicle. Are you riding over the border or trailering? If you are trailering you have to have insurance on that also. So, a total of 3 Mexican insurances (truck, trailer, & bike). Do be aware that you will be a stranger in a strange land. Vehicle thefts are very common, so I would suggest extra security measures. Usually safer in "touristy" areas. Bring cash because quite a few problems can be solved with money. Not complaining, it is what it is. Of course have your passport, and get that letter. Like you said better to have than not to and be stuck somewhere.
If you are a lean into the curves that are thrown at you kind of guy, you will probably be fine. Things are done differently there and you do need to understand and deal with that. Some people do not want to, and that is what (I think) they are trying to say.
Have fun and make sure to take pics!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Baja and Copper Canyon Motorcycle Tour
http://www.motodiscovery.com/Baja-%2...otorcycle-Tour
And continue east on train from Creel to Chihuahua City then take Hwy25 north to El Paso or the road east to Del Rio, Tx.

An aunt in 1916 took a job teaching children of a silver mine operator in a very rich mining village called Batopilas at the bottom of the Copper Canyon. It's beautiful there. Copper Canyon is five times larger than the Grand Canyon. General Francisco Villa hid his army there during the Revolucion.

Last edited by Sierra977; 09-28-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM
fidgit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fishheadsaid
Curious, where are you crossing and planning on going?
The plan is to cross at Eagle Pass. We live in Austin but i've been reading a few Mexico ride reports from ADVrider.com and the Laredo crossing seems busy and too highway. Going through EP just seems like a better fit for the kind of trip we're trying to take. The whole trip looks a little rushed on paper but I think it'll work out well. My gf has family in Jiquilipan and we want to see the beach north of Acapulco. Other than that its seeing Mexico city and find ing some cool roads to ride in between. Here's the itinerary we've got figured out so far;

<font size="1">*********************************

Leave Saturday Dec 19th:<br><br> 493miles Austin through Eagle Pass to Saltillo 8.5 hrs +/-

Sunday Dec 20th:<br><br> 303miles Saltillo to Aguascalientes (South of Guadalupe) 5.75hrs

Monday Dec 21st: <br><br>151miles AQUA to Jiquilpan 3.5hrs Spend arrival day and next full day there (Tuesday Dec 22nd)

Wednesday Dec 23rd:<br><br> 239miles Jiquilpan to Ixtapa (coast) 5.5hrs

Thursday Dec 24th:<br><br> 293miles Ixtapa to Mexico City 6.5hrs

Friday Dec 25th: <br><br>? Spend day in Mexico city/Teotihuacan (Cathedral to pyramids 35 miles/1hr)

Saturday Dec 26th: <br><br>248miles Mexico City to SLP HD 4hrs

Sunday Dec 27th: <br><br>? SLP - Austin is 700 miles +/- by way of Monterrey. 11hrs+

760 miles by way of Saltillo/Eagle pass 12hrs+

734 miles by way of Reynosa (101/97) 12hrs+

-------------------------------OR------------------------------------

SLP to Ciudad Victoria -206miles 4hrs

Ciudad Victoria to Border (Reynosa/McAllen) 214miles 4hrs

Border (Reynosa/McAllen) to Austin 327miles 5hrs+

TOTAL: 45hrs / 2500miles / 9-10 days
</font>

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
You will need Mexican insurance on your vehicle. Are you riding over the border or trailering? If you are trailering you have to have insurance on that also. So, a total of 3 Mexican insurances (truck, trailer, & bike). Do be aware that you will be a stranger in a strange land. Vehicle thefts are very common, so I would suggest extra security measures. Usually safer in "touristy" areas. Bring cash because quite a few problems can be solved with money. Not complaining, it is what it is. Of course have your passport, and get that letter. Like you said better to have than not to and be stuck somewhere.
If you are a lean into the curves that are thrown at you kind of guy, you will probably be fine. Things are done differently there and you do need to understand and deal with that. Some people do not want to, and that is what (I think) they are trying to say.
Have fun and make sure to take pics!
We're looking to ride the whole thing, Ive already got all the info on the TVIP and insurances. A lot of paperwork and copies of things, deposits and all that to make sure what you brought with you, you end up bringing back lol.

Last edited by fidgit; 09-30-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:49 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a helluva trip. I've only travelled in the Baja. Camping back in the 60's and on a rental bike last year with a group. My sister has travelled extensively in Mexico, even taught a year of school in Mexico City. She loves the country and the people, the govt not so much. Sounds like you may have the language issue solved. Not much English outside the tourist areas. Looking forward to your ride report with lots of pics.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:57 AM
fidgit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fishheadsaid
Sounds like a helluva trip. I've only travelled in the Baja. Camping back in the 60's and on a rental bike last year with a group. My sister has travelled extensively in Mexico, even taught a year of school in Mexico City. She loves the country and the people, the govt not so much. Sounds like you may have the language issue solved. Not much English outside the tourist areas. Looking forward to your ride report with lots of pics.
Id love to do that kinda thing, dont think I can convince my gf to rough it in the desert just yet. She speaks fluent spanish and I can get by with what I learned in HS for the basics but we should be good as a team.
Ive done a lot of long distance riding in the last few years but this will be her first real trip on a motorcycle. Im really looking forward to showing her how much fun it can be. We've been starting out w 3/400mile days, trying to get her into a groove. So far so good

We'll definitely be keeping you guys up to date while we travel.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Iron Vaquero
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent!

Quick Reply: Roadtrip to Mexico planning