Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Roadtrip to Mexico planning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:19 PM
fidgit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtrip to Mexico planning

Has anyone traveled to mexico on their bike? Im planning about 10 days or so in mexico around christmas. Ive gotten most of my documents together and i understand what i need to do to temporarily import the vehicle but i just heard that i may need a letter from HD because the bike is financed. Have any of you heard of this or gone through something like that?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:18 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Fidgit....your best bet is to go over to advriders.com and do a search or ask your question. Also there's a website called Horizons Unlimited that could be helpful as it serves riders who are traveling all over the world. Rides from North America to the tip of South America are not uncommon over there. Also, you've got a Mexican Consulate office there in Austin.

edit: Just remembered, there's a Facebook account that's called, On the Road in Mexico, that has some great stuff.

Last edited by mtgriz; 09-10-2015 at 11:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fidgit (05-11-2020)
Old 09-12-2015, 11:29 AM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

That's crazy. I wouldn't even think about crossing the border on my bike in to a country of corruption, drug violence and poverty. When you cross the border you'll be leaving your Freedom behind. There's too many nice places in this country to see.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:04 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by shrydog
That's crazy. I wouldn't even think about crossing the border on my bike in to a country of corruption, drug violence and poverty. When you cross the border you'll be leaving your Freedom behind. There's too many nice places in this country to see.
Actually when one enters Mexico,you will be gaining way more freedom than the USA or Canada offers,its their excessive "freedom" that allows the criminal element to thrive...

Old 09-12-2015, 03:56 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like riding our other neighbor to the north much better. All I can say is ride safe bro. Godspeed

Old 09-13-2015, 10:26 AM
fidgit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Fidgit....your best bet is to go over to advriders.com and do a search or ask your question. Also there's a website called Horizons Unlimited that could be helpful as it serves riders who are traveling all over the world. Rides from North America to the tip of South America are not uncommon over there. Also, you've got a Mexican Consulate office there in Austin.

edit: Just remembered, there's a Facebook account that's called, On the Road in Mexico, that has some great stuff.
Yea ive been scouring that forum for the last few weeks. Theres a wealth of knowledge there if you have the time to go through it, the only problem ive seen is most of the real adventure/epic ride guys are on BMWs and the like. No specific info on HDs.

Originally Posted by shrydog
Wow man. Ive got to say thats some pretty ignorant thinking there. Not something i expected to be honest. Im looking for anyone that has info regarding getting across the border w a financed bike. Ive been all over the US and let me tell you it IS beautiful but that doesnt mean there isnt a great big world out there to see. Mexico is a wonderful country with amazing and kind people. You can keep the xenophobic attitude to yourself, Im going to enjoy what the world has to offer.

Originally Posted by HDriderDave1
I like riding our other neighbor to the north much better. All I can say is ride safe bro. Godspeed
Yea ive never made it to Canada myself, I lived in NY but there was always something that kept me from that trip, Now i live in TX and im looking to take full advantage of it. Thanks for the concern though amigo

Old 09-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Need to do your homework on that. I have been spending the winter there for the last 10 + years . However, I am in a tourist area about 70 km below Cancun and then a few months in Cancun.

There are many areas North and South that you are at risk at night. Worrying about the bike would be the least of my worries. Do it in the winter is all the real advice to you or even better, try Canada. (it's risky enough traveling North across the USA)

Old 09-13-2015, 10:58 AM
fidgit
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Need to do your homework on that. I have been spending the winter there for the last 10 + years . However, I am in a tourist area about 70 km below Cancun and then a few months in Cancun.

There are many areas North and South that you are at risk at night. Worrying about the bike would be the least of my worries. Do it in the winter is all the real advice to you or even better, try Canada. (it's risky enough traveling North across the USA)
Yea ive got the stops ll mapped out, were leaving early in the morning the first day in order to be about 300 miles from the border for our first stop. Ive been all over the advrider forum getting recommendations for safety and how to secure the belongings etc. We are travelling over Christmas.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:34 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

My guess is your concern would be with your insurance carrier and maybe not with who your bike is financed with.

I suspect you will have to have a temporary rider on your bike's insurance policy while traveling in Mexico.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Iron Vaquero
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Senor Fidgit,
Muy Bien! I am, have been, planning an epic trip to Oaxaca, Mexico,"Road To Ruinas" We are leaving in 2017. I have been spending an inordinate amount of time researching and planning. The resources available for planning are over-the-top! I occasionally will post trip planning updates at my blog, http://boltthrower-infidel0341.blogspot.com/
You need to buy Mexican vehicle insurance; http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/
One must import their bike into Mexico-seems to be easy enough.
Great ADV.com links here:
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...o-safe.546927/
http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...oaxaca.641360/
Harley ADV thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...d-king.603979/
Another great source for planning routes is the Mexican "DOT" aka SCT (The page can be translated):http://ttr.sct.gob.mx/mappir/
This DVD is another great resource: http://www.motorcyclemexico.com/

Please contact me via e-mail if you have any other questions!
-Iron Vaquero

Last edited by Iron Vaquero; 09-14-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typos
The following users liked this post:
fidgit (05-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Roadtrip to Mexico planning