Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gatlinburg October 1-4

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 PM
gbrock317
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might not be too late to see some bear if you head over to Cade's Cove. It's definitely worth the time. I also suggest the burgers at Three Jimmy's on 321 just a few miles away from the strip in Gatlinburg. And Smoky Mountain Brewery has some great microbrews and good pizza (even if you are from Chicago). I agree that you have to go ride the dragon (129) and Cherohola Skyway. If you want a hideaway, go to Bryson City, NC. It's just down 74 from Cherokee and has 2 great things, an old train to take you on a ride through the Smokeys and a great microbrewery. Oh, and the best ice cream you ever put in your mouth.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:58 AM
06copking
Novice

Originally Posted by gbrock317
It might not be too late to see some bear if you head over to Cade's Cove. It's definitely worth the time. I also suggest the burgers at Three Jimmy's on 321 just a few miles away from the strip in Gatlinburg. And Smoky Mountain Brewery has some great microbrews and good pizza (even if you are from Chicago). I agree that you have to go ride the dragon (129) and Cherohola Skyway. If you want a hideaway, go to Bryson City, NC. It's just down 74 from Cherokee and has 2 great things, an old train to take you on a ride through the Smokeys and a great microbrewery. Oh, and the best ice cream you ever put in your mouth.
I'm going with two buddies and my girlfriend who like micro brews so this is definitely on the list now and the train sounds perfect for my girlfriend and I to go catch some scenery. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2015, 08:00 AM
06copking
Novice

Originally Posted by checkers
Yep, run the BRP from Cherokee north about 25 miles to Hwy 215 exit End of the ramp take 215 North to the south end of Waynesboro,NC At the light at Hwy 276, T/L into town. At light Business 23, T/L and go 2 blocks to Bogaart's Restaurant on the left, Great food and a great ride. Bogaart's can handle large groups and they have a full bar if you want to have ONE.
Anytime of day better or worse at Bogaarts?

Old 09-26-2015, 06:50 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 06copking
Anytime of day better or worse at Bogaarts?
We have always gone there on Saturday's. It likely is closed on Monday. Give it a "google" for more details. Saturday night and Sunday noon, you will have to wait to be seated. They have live music on Thursday night. They are located about 15 minutes from Maggie Valley. (Wheels of Time MC Museum) The downtown district is a mile of small stores, an old fashion candy store and ice cream shop. Saturday in downtown is a active main street.

Last edited by checkers; 09-26-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:35 PM
06copking
Novice

Anyone have a better idea of what the weather will be like down there? The radar doesn't look bad but saying rain for the WHOLE weekend! Is the rain normally in and out or does it stick around?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:07 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

It's stopped raining here in Ky, just dress warm. Get ya a big steak at the Peddler in Gatlinburg. Enjoy👍

Old 09-30-2015, 06:14 PM
06copking
Novice

Originally Posted by farmboy555
It's stopped raining here in Ky, just dress warm. Get ya a big steak at the Peddler in Gatlinburg. Enjoy👍
Heading out in the next 8-10 hours. Hoping I don't get stuck in anything too crazy. Last two times I've been caught in torrential downpours and dense fog for MILES. Really hoping that doesn't trend this time. Thanks for the update!

Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Heading out in the next 8-10 hours. Hoping I don't get stuck in anything too crazy. Last two times I've been caught in torrential downpours and dense fog for MILES. Really hoping that doesn't trend this time. Thanks for the update!
Tonight's weather was calling for 90% rain for Friday and Saturday. Calling for heavy rain Friday. Been raining since last Thursday and still raining. Heavy at times with some breaks. Today was mostly dry till the afternoon. Really sucks I had last Friday and this Friday off and it's rain...lol The good part is that the weather man here is just right about 40% of the time here in Asheville.
Be careful on the ride and hope you enjoy the trip. Watch the roads if wet.The leaves are starting to turn and fall. Makes for some slick spots with the wet leaves on the roads.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:21 AM
06copking
Novice

Originally Posted by dyna105
Tonight's weather was calling for 90% rain for Friday and Saturday. Calling for heavy rain Friday. Been raining since last Thursday and still raining. Heavy at times with some breaks. Today was mostly dry till the afternoon. Really sucks I had last Friday and this Friday off and it's rain...lol The good part is that the weather man here is just right about 40% of the time here in Asheville.
Be careful on the ride and hope you enjoy the trip. Watch the roads if wet.The leaves are starting to turn and fall. Makes for some slick spots with the wet leaves on the roads.
Well, as my luck would have it...bike threw a check engine light last night on a ride around the neighborhood. Playing it safe. Driving down and picking up a rental if I can. Fuggin aggravated because this would have been my first big trip (with my new woodys fairing too!) Going over the bike when I get back home. Thanks again for all the info and heads up on local spots everyone!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Anyone have a better idea of what the weather will be like down there? The radar doesn't look bad but saying rain for the WHOLE weekend! Is the rain normally in and out or does it stick around?
Local Gatlinburg forecast: 60% Thursday, 60% Friday,50% Saturday 30% Sunday. Hurricane Juaguin is messing with rain bands through here. It is going to be kinda "gloomy" for the next 4 days. Cols air coming in Sunday

Quick Reply: Gatlinburg October 1-4