Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Two Pass Ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Two Pass Ride

We had a nice ride today over Sonora Pass and back Tioga Pass, 300 miles all through the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

MC

Old 09-17-2015, 10:20 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Nice pics! Weather looked like it was good. Digging the helmet!

Old 09-18-2015, 01:53 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,963 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I love both those roads. I went west over Tioga on my way back from Sturgis last month and I'll go east over Tioga next month for my annual ride to Death Valley. I love riding the high country of Yosemite! Lastl year myself and my riding buddies did every pass between Tahoe and Yosemite in four days of wonderful riding.

Looks like you used a telephoto lens to bring Half Dome better into the picture from Olmstead Point. Nice.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Nice pics! Weather looked like it was good. Digging the helmet!

The weather was clear and sunny. It was a little cool on the passes. I was wearing full leather jacket with insulated insert and leather overpants. Down in the lowlands I was just wearing a vest.

The helmet is a Biltwell. I really like it.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
I love both those roads. I went west over Tioga on my way back from Sturgis last month and I'll go east over Tioga next month for my annual ride to Death Valley. I love riding the high country of Yosemite! Lastl year myself and my riding buddies did every pass between Tahoe and Yosemite in four days of wonderful riding.

Looks like you used a telephoto lens to bring Half Dome better into the picture from Olmstead Point. Nice.

Speaking of Death Valley, I booked a room for Furnace Creek Ranch Sept. 28 through Oct.1. I'm really looking forward to riding down there. I haven't been there in 40+ years. Any suggestions on where to ride and what to do there?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:55 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It ain't fair to live that close to such nice riding!!!

Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I've been over 120 and 108 so many times in a car, but not on a bike. But, next week I'm taking Hwy 4 to 49 and down to Oakhurst, and then coming back 49 up to 88.

I don't want to wait too deep into October due to risk of snow, but on the other hand, the way the winters have been lately, that might not be a concern at all.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I've been over 120 and 108 so many times in a car, but not on a bike. But, next week I'm taking Hwy 4 to 49 and down to Oakhurst, and then coming back 49 up to 88.

I don't want to wait too deep into October due to risk of snow, but on the other hand, the way the winters have been lately, that might not be a concern at all.

I love Ebbits Pass. We were going to do a "three pass ride", Sonora Pass, Monitor Pass and Ebbetts Pass, but decided not to go that route because of the Butte Fire. Next week I want to get over there and survey the area. The fire is under control now.

I have read predictions calling for a wet winter due to the El Nino phenomenon. We sure could use it.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Originally Posted by robertwy
It ain't fair to live that close to such nice riding!!!
I sure do feel blessed to live and ride in this area. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:26 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Cruiser
I love Ebbits Pass. We were going to do a "three pass ride", Sonora Pass, Monitor Pass and Ebbetts Pass, but decided not to go that route because of the Butte Fire. Next week I want to get over there and survey the area. The fire is under control now.

I have read predictions calling for a wet winter due to the El Nino phenomenon. We sure could use it.
If you go, let me know in this thread how it looks. I'm probably leaving next Sunday, 9/27.

Quick Reply: Two Pass Ride