Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Leaving on 4,000 mile trip in 9 days.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 PM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
Nuthin between San Angelo and Roswell but "... miles and miles of miles and miles". .....
That's what I was sayin!!

Cool dust devil memory tho. My then riding bud was behind me as we were on an intercept course with a big one. I slowed, then decided I can make it so gassed it... I made it. Looked in my mirror to see nothing but a wall of dust. Then my bud comes right out of it. Ha, had to pull over and dump dust out of his goggles.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 PM
capitan1962
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
Gotcha. To dang bad God put that West Texas desert between us and that Western paradise, but maybe He feels like we need to earn our pleasures.
I guess the most important detail I left out is my mother lives in Reno and that is the whole purpose of this trip.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Just went to that Dragons Tail from Houston area and it was some major traffic on the freeways and smaller byways (yes...i know more folks live there but still)

But your route is where im going to do most of my riding from now on...the plains and west.

nice open spaces w/the every now and then traffic in cities.

I just could not get very relaxed when i was riding out to the dragon.

enjoy...weather looks great!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 PM
capitan1962
Tourer

The Road King will be making this trip. Have only put about 1,100 miles on it since I got it.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
What you are missing on the E to H is that you can make good time. Few if any distractions. As I live in the Tx Panhandle, a good trip doesn't start from my house, you have to ride about six hours and then get started.
Amen! 22 hours for me! Guess there IS a lot to be said for "Few distractions". Dallas and Shreveport or Houston, depending on how I go, are pretty significant distractions. No such problem Lubbock to Albequerque.

Well, Palo Duro Canyon is worth a stop, but not if you have to go out of your way.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:03 PM
capitan1962
Tourer

Originally Posted by GeneseeGap
Just went to that Dragons Tail from Houston area and it was some major traffic on the freeways and smaller byways (yes...i know more folks live there but still)

But your route is where im going to do most of my riding from now on...the plains and west.

nice open spaces w/the every now and then traffic in cities.

I just could not get very relaxed when i was riding out to the dragon.

enjoy...weather looks great!
I went there on my trip last year. Took back roads to Shreveport, I-20 to Birmingham then north to Chattanooga. From there dipped into Northern Georgia. Stayed at an awesome biker resort called the Copperhead Lodge then north on 68 to Tellico Springs, TN. Did the Cherohala, The Dragon and the Moonshiner 28 in 1 day. Then the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. I know some of these places I will hit on the next trip but the others will be new.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by capitan1962
Gonna hit the big bend area on the way back. Here is the route I have planned;

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...o.k4-Rti4e0Mmc
You're just skirting the Big Bend area. If you have time, when you get to Fort Davis turn south through Marfa on down to Presidio. Then follow Hwy 170, the River Road, through Terlingua and Big Bend NP. From Big Bend go out the north entrance up to Marathon and then continue your planned route east on Hwy 90.

The River Road, I think, would be one of the more memorable roads of your trip. It's awesome.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:05 AM
capitan1962
Tourer

Originally Posted by robertwy
You're just skirting the Big Bend area. If you have time, when you get to Fort Davis turn south through Marfa on down to Presidio. Then follow Hwy 170, the River Road, through Terlingua and Big Bend NP. From Big Bend go out the north entrance up to Marathon and then continue your planned route east on Hwy 90.

The River Road, I think, would be one of the more memorable roads of your trip. It's awesome.
Thanks, I have edited the route to include the trip thru Big Bend and also made a couple of small changes in Colorado. In the process of editing I trashed the map so going to recreate tonight.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by capitan1962
Thanks, I have edited the route to include the trip thru Big Bend and also made a couple of small changes in Colorado. In the process of editing I trashed the map so going to recreate tonight.
Just stay hydrated in this area. Get's kinda hot down that way this time of year, although temp's starting to drop..

Have you priced hotels in Santa Fe? And, if you get a chance take 14N (turqouise trail) off 40W (near Tijeras) through the Canyon into Madrid (where they made Wild Hogs) before going to Santa Fe.. Was just there first week of August..

Last edited by rossn2; 09-30-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM
capitan1962
Tourer

Originally Posted by rossn2
Just stay hydrated in this area. Get's kinda hot down that way this time of year, although temp's starting to drop..

Have you priced hotels in Santa Fe? And, if you get a chance take 14N (turqouise trail) off 40W (near Tijeras) through the Canyon into Madrid (where they made Wild Hogs) before going to Santa Fe.. Was just there first week of August..
Not planning on stopping in Santa Fe if I can avoid it. If I have to I have a sibling that lives there. Can easily incorporate 14 north into the trip. Tweaked the map a little and made a few changes.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...o.ke7Z13qGsrlY

Quick Reply: Leaving on 4,000 mile trip in 9 days.