Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Leaving on 4,000 mile trip in 9 days.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:11 PM
capitan1962
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Leaving on 4,000 mile trip in 9 days.

Last year did a 4600 mile trip from South Texas to Gettysburg via the Smoky mountains and returned thru Kentucky. This one will be the other way.

Thru Bandera,TX to Junction, Tx then up to San Angelo, cross over into New Mexico. North from Roswell to Santa Fe then on to Grand Junction, Colorado. West from Grand Junction to Reno, Nevada.

Return will be to Vegas, Kingman, Az then east to Flagstaff. South of Flagstaff to Camp Verde then east to Payson, Show Low and on to Socorro, New Mexico. South from Socorro to San Antonio, NM then east to Roswell, NM. From there south to Sanderson, TX, east on 90 to Uvalde and then on back home.

Anything that anybody could add to this in ways of good riding or places to avoid would be highly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:31 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Enjoy and travel safely.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:22 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

All I can add is be safe, enjoy and wished I was going with ya. Plan on taking off south as soon the crops are all in the grain bin's.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

The western Big Bend part of TX I enjoyed. First time I had been in that kind of terrain in adult years. Came from Roswell to Austin TX, tho.... thru San Angelo, Big Spring...whew!

Happy trails....(little envy here)

Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 PM
capitan1962
Tourer

Gonna hit the big bend area on the way back. Here is the route I have planned;

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?h...o.k4-Rti4e0Mmc

Old 09-28-2015, 07:09 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, if somebody could tell me how to avoid from "E" to "H" on your map, I sure would like to know how to do that without a detour through Mexico. Nuthin between San Angelo and Roswell but "... miles and miles of miles and miles". I just pedal as fast as I can to get through that Chihuahua desert, usually try to do it at night. At least the Mojave has a few rock outcroppings. That Permian Basin has just got nothing to look at but oil well pumpers and Jack rabbits.

Well, I have seen a few nice sunsets. Certainly nothing on the horizon to obstruct the view of the sunset.

Anybody on line from Midland / Odessa area, please show me what I am missing.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Fireax
Cruiser

I am curious why you are going as far North as I-70 instead of staying down in Southern Utah and visiting Arches, Canyonlands, Moab area. Longer, slower ride, but much to see, and Fall is a great time to visit that area. What are your goals for the trip? Your route looks like a whole lot of freeway, desert, and farmland to me, but of course I really don't know what your objectives are.

Last edited by Fireax; 09-28-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:44 PM
capitan1962
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fireax
I am curious why you are going as far North as I-70 instead of staying down in Southern Utah and visiting Arches, Canyonlands, Moab area. Longer, slower ride, but much to see. What are your goals for the trip? Your route looks like a whole lot of freeway, desert, and farmland to me, but of course I really don't know what your objectives are.
I lived in AZ for a few years, have done most of what you mentioned Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Lake Powell, 4 Corners, plus I went to High School there and between Football and Wrestling covered a good part of northern AZ. Just want to do western Colorado because I haven't been there and gonna return thru Jerome then go do the Mogollon Rim. Have a few people to visit that are a small portion of the route.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Fireax
Cruiser

Gotcha. To dang bad God put that West Texas desert between us and that Western paradise, but maybe He feels like we need to earn our pleasures.

Guadeloupe Mountains and Carlsbad Caverns are pretty interesting if you would be interested in a little detour to Pine Springs / White City area on your way back down, but I don't know how good 54 is down to I-10. Used to hunt Mule Deer in the area, got some good memories of it.

Last edited by Fireax; 09-28-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
Man, if somebody could tell me how to avoid from "E" to "H" on your map, I sure would like to know how to do that without a detour through Mexico. Nuthin between San Angelo and Roswell but "... miles and miles of miles and miles". I just pedal as fast as I can to get through that Chihuahua desert, usually try to do it at night. At least the Mojave has a few rock outcroppings. That Permian Basin has just got nothing to look at but oil well pumpers and Jack rabbits.

Well, I have seen a few nice sunsets. Certainly nothing on the horizon to obstruct the view of the sunset.

Anybody on line from Midland / Odessa area, please show me what I am missing.
What you are missing on the E to H is that you can make good time. Few if any distractions. As I live in the Tx Panhandle, a good trip doesn't start from my house, you have to ride about six hours and then get started.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaving on 4,000 mile trip in 9 days.