Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Camping Mattress

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I replaced a faulty Cabelas pad with this and am much happier, I see that make a 30" model and I will be picking one of those up when I return the defective one to Cabelas.
http://www.rei.com/product/848569/th...r-sleeping-pad

Would not consider this one. I bought 2 and neither will hold air and one finally gave out at a seam.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/campi..._SEQ_104484780
If you have room for the Intex air mattresses I think you will be very happy with them, they are at another level compared to the backpacking grade.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I little pricey and not a queen size, but said to be very comfortable. I have not tried it, but I want to.

http://www.aerostich.com/camping/cam...ght-cot-1.html

Old 10-17-2015, 12:54 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Go over to your local REI store and speak with their knowledgeable staff

8300 Emerald St, Boise, ID 83704
(208) 322-1141

Employed by REI? LOL
I'll probably end up there at some time, and/or Cabelas. They are pretty close together and not far from me.
Just like to do some homework first!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:17 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

"a little pricey"???? Sadly, this is the way it is. You can go cheaper, but they may not last or work right. You have to factor in how much you will use it. I got some on sale and they leaked or just didn't do it after several uses...also the foam sometimes deteriorates inside on that type. If you want it to last and work really well.... go with a warranty or the better reviewed ones....sometimes mo $

Air mattress with no insulation gan get cold. Careful there. Lot of experience with these river camping. We went to hammocks most of the time.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Employed by REI? LOL
I'll probably end up there at some time, and/or Cabelas. They are pretty close together and not far from me.
Just like to do some homework first!
I don't understand you comment about the REI employees. Why the LOL? Have you had bad experiences with REI employees? I've been shopping at various REI stores since 1977 and have found the staff at each store to be knowledgeable and helpful. Perhaps your experiences have been different but I have found REI employees to be more knowledgeable then other camping store employees.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I think he meant "do you work at REI?" since he plugged the store in his post and provided the address and phone number. It wasn't a knock on REI or the employees.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:02 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Again prices, but incredibly compact, warm and tough: Thermarest Neo air. Use it with any of their fitted sheets and you can clip two together. One of their quilts is even double sized for that use.

I've used most options for sleeping out, and this is the best whether used in a tent, a hammock or a bivie bag.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:30 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I think he meant "do you work at REI?" since he plugged the store in his post and provided the address and phone number. It wasn't a knock on REI or the employees.
Yes, this is what I meant. Thought maybe you worked there because of the info you provided, like Nomad said. Not a knock whatsoever on the employees or the store.
I will definitely go there to look at them, as will I go to Cabelas. Just wanted to hear some reviews before I go, get some ideas of what I'm looking at. Maybe some of the items I should avoid altogether.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:41 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by road king Q
"a little pricey"???? Sadly, this is the way it is. You can go cheaper, but they may not last or work right. You have to factor in how much you will use it. I got some on sale and they leaked or just didn't do it after several uses...also the foam sometimes deteriorates inside on that type. If you want it to last and work really well.... go with a warranty or the better reviewed ones....sometimes mo $

Air mattress with no insulation gan get cold. Careful there. Lot of experience with these river camping. We went to hammocks most of the time.
Yeah $139 each is a little pricey (at least in my book). Would need to get 2 also. I totally agree on you get what you pay for when it comes to this sort of thing. That's what I was trying to say earlier is since I'm looking for compact, it is backpacking equipment I'm looking at. Just not cheap like the regular stuff is! I can get a regular air mattress for $20, and at that price I can use it once then throw it away...LOL
That's also why I'm asking what has worked for other people. Don't want to pay good money for something that doesn't last me past one season.
Sounds like lots of good options, and some stuff to stay away from. Thank you all for that!
I hear you all about getting off the ground for the insulation factor. I've done a bit of camping with below freezing temps at night around here. Need all the help you can get for sure.
I'm basically wanting to do a night or two on a trip to start out with. I'm sure if all goes well we will do it more often. We usually hotel it for an entire trip on the bikes. Just never really thought of camping on the bikes much. I have a tenancy to overpack, which might be the big factor!

Old 10-18-2015, 02:43 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been using Thermarest air pad for 25 years. They still work great and I would recommend this kind for sure. Never go cheap on sleeping pad.

http://www.rei.com/product/781096/th...r-sleeping-pad

Quick Reply: Camping Mattress