Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Camping Mattress

Old 10-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,960 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I think he meant "do you work at REI?" since he plugged the store in his post and provided the address and phone number. It wasn't a knock on REI or the employees.
Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Yes, this is what I meant. Thought maybe you worked there because of the info you provided, like Nomad said. Not a knock whatsoever on the employees or the store.
I will definitely go there to look at them, as will I go to Cabelas. Just wanted to hear some reviews before I go, get some ideas of what I'm looking at. Maybe some of the items I should avoid altogether.
Now I understand what you meant. I also once read that REI treats it's staff well. Years ago it was listed as one of the 100 best companies for which to work. Seems their employees are both happy and knowledgeable.

It's actually a coop. I'm not sure just how it is run but it is different than other camping supply outlets. There is no "owner". The first time I shopped there was in 1977 at the original Seattle store. I "joined" REI at that time. Since then, every year I get a percent of what I spent there back. Now a days, I just use that credit on the first purchase I make at REI for the new year. I also found the quality of their REI brand to be comparable or superior to other camping equipment companies and usually at a lower price.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:53 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Those look pretty good. Kinda pricey though but most stuff that you can back pack with is. How do they pump up?
un roll them, close the valves at the feet, open the valve by the head, place both hands on the hand print images and "perform CPR"... the foam "pillow" inside pushes the top back up and there are some internal valves that stop air from coming back out.

it is a nifty little design. I get their emails with coupons and bought into the REI rewards club the day that I bought them. Got them at 20% off and then the additional discount for the rewards club. ended up saving about 280.00 on my first purchase. still cost me 650.00, but I got EVERYTHING needed to camp with the bike except food and TP.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HDriderDave1
I have been using Thermarest air pad for 25 years. They still work great and I would recommend this kind for sure. Never go cheap on sleeping pad.

http://www.rei.com/product/781096/th...r-sleeping-pad
Had my original pad 20 years and it has been abused many ways. Still going strong, no leaks, excellent insulation against the cold hard ground. Couple years ago bought a "Dream" model (Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Dream Sleeping Pad) for truck and boat camping, even more comfortable, but obviously heavier and more bulky, don't carry it on the bike.

For extra efficiency in packing when I don't have much space, I compress them twice. Open the valve, roll them up, close the valve. Force them back open, roll even more tightly until air accumulates against the closed valve, open the valve, squeeze out remaining air, close the valve. They can be rolled surprisingly tightly. For long term storage, store them unrolled and valve open, to maintain the loft and keep them from over-pressuring if they are overheated, like for instance if they are left in the direct sun on a hot day.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:45 AM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a question for you fellas with the 20 year old Thermarest. How do the new ones compare to the older ones construction quality wise. We all know that many items made 20 years ago were made superior to what's made today. Just wondering if the quality has suffered in those years or if they have maintained their level of quality.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:43 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
Had my original pad 20 years and it has been abused many ways. Still going strong, no leaks, excellent insulation against the cold hard ground. Couple years ago bought a "Dream" model (Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Dream Sleeping Pad) for truck and boat camping, even more comfortable, but obviously heavier and more bulky, don't carry it on the bike.

For extra efficiency in packing when I don't have much space, I compress them twice. Open the valve, roll them up, close the valve. Force them back open, roll even more tightly until air accumulates against the closed valve, open the valve, squeeze out remaining air, close the valve. They can be rolled surprisingly tightly. For long term storage, store them unrolled and valve open, to maintain the loft and keep them from over-pressuring if they are overheated, like for instance if they are left in the direct sun on a hot day.
Your last sentence had me wondering.... What about on the back of a bike? Should I be worried about at least putting it into a stuff sack or something? Is it going to fall apart sitting back there?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 PM
fireman on a RK
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, get the bag for the Thermarest, keeps it clean and is easier to handle.

There is also a Sierra Trading Post store in Meridian.

When we were younger, doing lots of backpacking, we bought lots of stuff from REI. I do not recall getting anything that was not top quality.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Here is what I use. It rolls up to the size of about a football and a half.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...irbed&i=726419

Old 10-21-2015, 08:34 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a Thermarest neo air now, packs small and light. I bought mine from LL Beans. Any problems, Beans will give you a new one for years every after. You won't lose your initial investment at least. Also, you can use some paracord to bind two Thermarests together side by side. 25+ years using Thermarest here.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:41 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman on a RK
Yes, get the bag for the Thermarest, keeps it clean and is easier to handle.

There is also a Sierra Trading Post store in Meridian.

When we were younger, doing lots of backpacking, we bought lots of stuff from REI. I do not recall getting anything that was not top quality.
I've never actually gone in the Sierra TP. When it first opened there was a rumor that they were connected to the Sierra Club. Don't know if it's true or not. If not I would head in.
One of the great things about living in Idaho is we have all the major outdoor stores local. Cabela's, STP, Sportsmen's Warehouse, REI, and I'm sure I'm missing one or two....LOL

Old 10-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Good sleep is almost priceless...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camping Mattress