Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

blue ridge parkway

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:39 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davedyna
Ah, so the short way around :-) That is quite a ride, I have done most of those roads but not 11 in PA or Route 6. Have to take a look. When I come/go I will come down from 9 or via 101 in NH to Route 9 VT to route 22 NY and then to 84 (use 311 or other to cut some of 84 off) I also use 2 in MA (the mohawk trail) from 101/202 in NH to go out to 22 etc.
Some destination roads I try to ride every time but as far as coming and going I always take different routes and different destinations along the way coming and going. I always seem to end up at Bar Harbor if I get near that area.

I had a nice ride out on Long Island last year and rode the two ferries from Montauk to the North side of the Island. The Smokey Mountains is another area I try the pass through at least coming up or going back. Next time I go by the coast I would like to take the ferry to Okracok Island. Last year it was too crowded. I went down to Hatteras and came back up.

Last edited by ironheaddave; 11-15-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:51 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Overall the absolute best time is after Labor Day to the start of leaf season. In October the prices for motels go up at least 50% and very crowded.

Late May to early June would be #2. Yeah, that dark patch in the road might be a bear. Always allow an extra day of travel because of fog. This is no B/S, slam a white wall in your face, cut it with a knife fog.

And if you hit fog like that it can real interesting riding a small backroad off the mountain and down to Rt.11. Lines? Signs? That's candyass, we don't need no stinkin' lines.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:20 AM
cobalt07
Road Master
Received 243 Likes on 152 Posts

Wife and I have ridden the BRP 6 times in the past 10 seasons. Once- Gettysburg/York down to Front Royal and Skyline ($10) to the BRP. Five of those trips were first week of June, little traffic and decent weather most years but be prepared, it can change quickly the last 175 miles because of the elevation increase. Honest advice, take your time, stop at as many overlooks as you have time for. The beauty is stunning!!! Don't miss Water Rock ****, Devils' Courthouse and Grandfather's Mnt. Take the short hikes to the top to stretch your legs, it's so worth it. If you ride it just to go fast, you miss alot. This year we rode it in August. Not a drop of rain or fog--got lucky. Also, this year we spent a nite at Little Switzerland. It's on top of a mountain at milepost 334(?). Biker friendly, even has a lodge with cover for groups of bikes. Pool on the edge of the cliff with incredible view !! long winded, but we love the ride

Old 12-08-2015, 11:03 AM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess the original OP has not been back, haven't seen anything more from him. Picked up some nice tidbits from a number of folks posting though so thanks all!!

Dave

Old 12-09-2015, 04:04 AM
Ed Patrick
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default west virgina state rally

Originally Posted by joe mayo
I'm starting to plan my 2016 ride from Wisconsin to the Blue Ridge Parkway. My bucket list is not getting any shorter and I'm not getting any younger. This could possibly be a solo trip.
Is early spring, like May, a good time to avoid the big crowds?
Looking for any advise.....best time of the year for crowds...and of course weather is a huge factor......best route...places to stay..etc

thanks in advance
come on down during the rally hog its a nice time check on dates have a nice ride june 14 to the 18th

Old 12-09-2015, 06:32 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

The fog in the mountains will definitely slow you down.

It usually does not burn off till 10-11, and is thick as soup.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:30 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

If you make it south to the Asheville, NC area it's worth the trip over to Maggie Valley and the Wheels Through Time museum. Very cool place.

http://s471.photobucket.com/user/gtm...0museum?sort=9

Old 12-10-2015, 03:21 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Our first and second trip to the BRP had some destination roads and places. The last time there we turned left at the third intersection, right at the next and got totally lost on some of the best roads I've ever been on while riding. The wife and other bikes in the group really thought that I knew where I was going, not! Finally the wife caught on and asked if I was lost. My reply, "who me, never lost, only on an adventure." There are no bad roads, just the ones less traveled. My motto, you're only one wrong turn away from your next greatest adventure.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:17 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jay72
...we turned left at the third intersection, right at the next and got totally lost on some of the best roads I've ever been on...
Some of those little county roads from BRP down to the lowlands are at least as challenging as the Dragon's Tail! <g>

Old 12-13-2015, 12:32 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheels Through Time -- Not to Miss!!

Originally Posted by gtmalone
If you make it south to the Asheville, NC area it's worth the trip over to Maggie Valley and the Wheels Through Time museum. Very cool place.

http://s471.photobucket.com/user/gtm...0museum?sort=9
!!!

Convinced the group of 22 we were riding with to stop here (none of them had heard of it--I had visited with both Dale and Matt a few times over the years) and the group consented to give it a half hour....three hours later and we had to literally peel ourselves away... so much to see and experience.

We did the BR in July; some early morning fog; a few light showers--and as mentioned previously, watch out for dirt pull-offs after rain... our bike tipped over with us coming off when we pulled off the asphalt and the edges of the asphalt 'sunk' into the very soft dirt.... be aware...

Great ride from south to north; did 129 on a Tuesday and next two days to Boone where we headed back west... beautiful scenery.

Quick Reply: blue ridge parkway