Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

blue ridge parkway

Old 10-25-2015, 08:52 AM
joe mayo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue ridge parkway

I'm starting to plan my 2016 ride from Wisconsin to the Blue Ridge Parkway. My bucket list is not getting any shorter and I'm not getting any younger. This could possibly be a solo trip.
Is early spring, like May, a good time to avoid the big crowds?
Looking for any advise.....best time of the year for crowds...and of course weather is a huge factor......best route...places to stay..etc

thanks in advance

Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Solo or not, it's a fantastic place to visit. Avoid the weekends, try to ride the parkway Tuesday through Thursday. Be careful of the scenic turnouts. What appears to be level ground sometimes isn't. I've seen several drop their scooter when stopping. You might consider adding the Skyline Drive ( starts out from Front Royal, VA ) to your route. Don't miss the Wheels Through Time Museum at the southern end of the parkway ( Maggie Valley )

Old 10-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

May can be questionable, I would recommend June-September for more predictable weather. I have had minimal issues with traffic unless it is during holidays. As mentioned many times this is one of many awesome roads in the area.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:29 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Early May could be cold as below the VA line some of the elevations are 5K feet or more. Earliest I have ridden it is the 3rd week of May. Have warm clothes and good rain gear. If you are pressed for time ride the interstate and get on around the VA/NC state line about mile post 200. From there south is the best part. Keep in mind that there is no fuel on the BRP. Below MP 250 you may have to come down off the mountain 10-15 miles to get fuel and with the winding roads that is a 30 minute trip each way. I've ridden the BRP about four times and never get tired of it.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:34 AM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The last time I rode was late June last year and the temp still was only 65. A great ride with a light jacket. Also, came up on a bear on the Sky Line. Download the BP app for your phone and is a nice tool to have.

Ride safe.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:45 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from the top of Skyline down to the start of the Blue Ride getting off at Bueno Vista at Rt. 30 (nice road) this past weekend. The weather was perfect, the foliage was violently beautiful and the traffic - after crossing onto the Blue Ridge - was actually very sparse.

Blue Ridge was made for fall riding.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 AM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

did it last year in May and the ride was great. Started out on a Saturday and got on the north end of the parkway on Sunday. Monday on the south end was great would go long distance and not see anyone.
I always do a long ride in May before school is out and vacations start

Old 10-29-2015, 02:19 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I spent 3 days riding the BRP end-to-end in June 2011. Slept in campgrounds along the BRP; park rangers were warning folks about bear activities, but I never saw any. I rode during the week, so no particular issues with traffic. Only problem was morning fog -- sometimes really thick! I've been on short portions of it several times since, doubt that anything major has changed.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Toliverpeterson
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many days do you need to go down and back on the BRP?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:45 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,156 Posts

Originally Posted by Toliverpeterson
How many days do you need to go down and back on the BRP?

Depends on traffic, weather and how much stopping you do.....you CAN do it with an over nite on the way down, an over nite at the end, and an over nite on the return.....it's just under 500 miles each way......most of it at 45 mph....it's worth an extra day or two if you have it.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blue ridge parkway