Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2016 Arkansas\LA routes..

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faulkner
My recommendation would be to skip Memphis. You can spend days criss-crossing around north Arkansas but the ride over to Memphis is not that great and when you get there the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

The ride from Eureka Springs to Hot Springs down Hwy 7 is great, but you'll be passing a lot of good riding along the way. Here are a few of my favorite roads and stops that you can check out on google maps as you plot a course;

- Near Eureka Springs is the little village of Beaver with the one lane suspended bridge across the White River.
- The ride into and out of War Eagle Mill is quite scenic.
- I ride into Boxley Valley near Ponca to check out the Arkansas elk herd, and even if I miss the elk the scenery is awesome.
- Lunch or dinner at the Ozark Café in Jasper is worth the stop, if you spend the night in Jasper try out the Cliff House Inn
- Hwy 123 through Mt. Judea is not called the "Ozark Dragon" for nothing.
- 1929 Hotel Seville in Harrison, Arkansas, is a nice, reasonable, motorcycle friendly place to stay.
- The Pig Trail is a popular ride on you're way to Mount Magazine State Park, and the lodge on top of the mountain has some of the best views in the state.
- Stoby's restaurant in Russellville has great food, next to the railroad tracks and one of it's dining rooms is an old dining car.
- Just a short detour off Hwy 7 just across the Arkansas River from Russellville at Dardanelle on your way to Hot Springs is Mt. Nebo State Park. I love the twisties going up the mountain and the view of the Arkansas River Valley.
- About 30 minutes from Dardanelle to the east is Petit Jean Mountain State Park, which also has a nice lodge and awesome scenery.
- Some folks do the "Three Peaks Ride" from Magazine Mountain to Mt Nebo to Petit Jean Mountain.
- When you finally make it to Hot Springs I recommend McClard's BBQ.
- In Hot Springs, make the short rides up East and West Mountains on either side of town.

- If you decide to criss-cross the state there is a lot of good riding between Eureka Springs and Mountain View, and Mountain View is a cool little hamlet worth a look.
- Push Mountain Road is renown state wide by motorcyclist, and the ride down to Blanchard Springs Caverns around the park is scenic even if you decide not to tour the cave (which is worth while)

From Hot Springs south to Louisiana the riding is only so-so. In my opinion, I'd work my way over to Natchez, Mississippi, and spend the night in that historic river port. Then take Natchez Trace Parkway north all the way to Nashville (and just bypass Memphis). It's usually a full day from Natchez to Tupelo, Mississippi (birthplace of Elvis), then a day from Tupelo to Nashville. The northern half of Natchez Trace Parkway is my favorite.

- The Blue Canoe in Tupelo is a local bar with great food.
- The Loveless Café at the northern end of Natchez Trace is another must stop place to eat.

Did I mention that I'd skip Memphis? If it turns out you just gotta go over to that cesspool, stop by the new Bass Pro Shop in the Memphis Pyramid. Its very cool.
What a great write up. Have done all except the caverns. Arkansas has some great riding for sure and Fayettville is home to one of the best rallies ever, Bikes Blues and Bbq. I do admit though if I had my choice nothing compares to the Smokey Mountains. Oh, as stated, keep out of Louisiana unless your just looking to party in N.O. , other than that its straight roads, humid, and nasty looking rivers and bayous. Just stay north of Interstate 30 and you'll be OK.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:29 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

" the ride down to Blanchard Springs Caverns around the park is scenic even if you decide not to tour the cave (which is worth while"

The park at the bottom is worth the ride. Spring and the foundation for an old mill. A few more spots. Hwy 74, 263 and 87 between Marshall and Mt view are some of my favorite roads, right in the Push Mt area. Calico Rock's ghost town area is a fav of my kid. We like Mt View. Great area to play tourist for a few hours.

West of Marshall..they all good. 27 has a great hill to come up or go down with cool views and waterfalls right by the road in wet times.

Crossing Ouachitas, south of I40, has great north south roads. East west lay in the valley more.

just some local tidbits in add to Faulkner's great list...

Last edited by road king Q; 11-02-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:05 AM
JohnnyIce
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The Ozarks have some great riding, like the Pig Trail (23), 62 to and from Eureka Springs, Hwy 12, and more. Hwy 123, in the Arkansas Grand Canyon, also know as the Little Dragon. I find it to be more fun though than the Dragon. Go to Pig Trail Harley-Davidson to pick up ride maps.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:49 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

wow some much info this will keep me busy though winter....thanks everyone

The Group met this past weekend and decided (good or bad) we are touring and going down to Nola will be part of the plan also Bike night on Beale (memphis) is a must do for us...

the plan now is to leave Mn and head down Kc and into ozarks for 3-4 days. We will head south though AR\LA down to NOLA then head north along river and up to Memphis for wen\bike night after a night in Memphis back into ozarks|east side for another day or two. Then north to home...

I just need to fill in the details now...

Antebellum home
roads
hotels

really struggling for something to see or do in LA on way down!

so swamps of La!!! Crawfish boil? where could a large group stay and do this?

there will be 28 of us... (we do this every summer) last summer was 4800 miles in Va,tn

thanks again for all the help

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 11-04-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:31 PM
road king Q
Road Master

Tellin ya.... if you in Memphis, go down west Miss. Like I put in that other post. Some of the best LA is along the big Miss river south of Baton Rouge. Lot of plantations, I have never toured tho.

the delta area across south AR and LA will be long flat runs across farmland. You can follow the river and see the levee. There used to be some old towns that were neat to see.... I have not been thru there in 20 years. Used to live in Lake Charles. Maybe you will get some local hollers there.

Crawfish season is spring. Once the water gets hot..May/Jun they not as good. Don't see where you have said when your trip is. A few places still drag them out of deeper water and special farms. You'll have to look them up.

Last edited by road king Q; 11-04-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:39 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Stay in Harrison! You will be in the center of the riding hub and there are free maps available everywhere with great loops that lead out and back to Harrison.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:29 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by road king Q
history buff? Vicksburg on Ms La line is great if you are. Natchez trace has some history as well. Longwood plantation in Natchez. Windsor ruins out of Port Gibson... been in a few movies. St Francisville LA has The Myrtles Plantation...lot of ghost stories.

I would go down that side..MS has a lot of sandy hills where across the river in LA is flat and straight. You can see some river south of Memphis and again in South LA. Baton Rouge south will give you plenty of plantations and river as well. Parts of LA has some hills but after the ozark and ouachitas ...nah.

Gulf coast has more swamp and marsh west of NOLA... more white sand and cleaner water toward AL

Look at AR bucket list... lots of AR info in that thread.
Originally Posted by road king Q
Tellin ya.... if you in Memphis, go down west Miss. Like I put in that other post. Some of the best LA is along the big Miss river south of Baton Rouge. Lot of plantations, I have never toured tho.

the delta area across south AR and LA will be long flat runs across farmland. You can follow the river and see the levee. There used to be some old towns that were neat to see.... I have not been thru there in 20 years. Used to live in Lake Charles. Maybe you will get some local hollers there.

Crawfish season is spring. Once the water gets hot..May/Jun they not as good. Don't see where you have said when your trip is. A few places still drag them out of deeper water and special farms. You'll have to look them up.

oh ya we plan on the river (we all live within 5 miles of the ol 'miss) we ride the river up here a lot

what I need to do is figure out how to get from Hot springs\El Dorado area down to Nola and keep us off interstates and on great back roads after Nola we will head north along River to Memphis.

We will have 12 days from Mn to La and back!

june 16th through the 26th

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 11-05-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Faulkner
My recommendation would be to skip Memphis. You can spend days criss-crossing around north Arkansas but the ride over to Memphis is not that great and when you get there the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

The ride from Eureka Springs to Hot Springs down Hwy 7 is great, but you'll be passing a lot of good riding along the way. Here are a few of my favorite roads and stops that you can check out on google maps as you plot a course;

- Near Eureka Springs is the little village of Beaver with the one lane suspended bridge across the White River.
- The ride into and out of War Eagle Mill is quite scenic.
- I ride into Boxley Valley near Ponca to check out the Arkansas elk herd, and even if I miss the elk the scenery is awesome.
- Lunch or dinner at the Ozark Café in Jasper is worth the stop, if you spend the night in Jasper try out the Cliff House Inn
- Hwy 123 through Mt. Judea is not called the "Ozark Dragon" for nothing.
- 1929 Hotel Seville in Harrison, Arkansas, is a nice, reasonable, motorcycle friendly place to stay.
- The Pig Trail is a popular ride on you're way to Mount Magazine State Park, and the lodge on top of the mountain has some of the best views in the state.
- Stoby's restaurant in Russellville has great food, next to the railroad tracks and one of it's dining rooms is an old dining car.
- Just a short detour off Hwy 7 just across the Arkansas River from Russellville at Dardanelle on your way to Hot Springs is Mt. Nebo State Park. I love the twisties going up the mountain and the view of the Arkansas River Valley.
- About 30 minutes from Dardanelle to the east is Petit Jean Mountain State Park, which also has a nice lodge and awesome scenery.
- Some folks do the "Three Peaks Ride" from Magazine Mountain to Mt Nebo to Petit Jean Mountain.
- When you finally make it to Hot Springs I recommend McClard's BBQ.
- In Hot Springs, make the short rides up East and West Mountains on either side of town.

- If you decide to criss-cross the state there is a lot of good riding between Eureka Springs and Mountain View, and Mountain View is a cool little hamlet worth a look.
- Push Mountain Road is renown state wide by motorcyclist, and the ride down to Blanchard Springs Caverns around the park is scenic even if you decide not to tour the cave (which is worth while)

From Hot Springs south to Louisiana the riding is only so-so. In my opinion, I'd work my way over to Natchez, Mississippi, and spend the night in that historic river port. Then take Natchez Trace Parkway north all the way to Nashville (and just bypass Memphis). It's usually a full day from Natchez to Tupelo, Mississippi (birthplace of Elvis), then a day from Tupelo to Nashville. The northern half of Natchez Trace Parkway is my favorite.

- The Blue Canoe in Tupelo is a local bar with great food.
- The Loveless Café at the northern end of Natchez Trace is another must stop place to eat.

Did I mention that I'd skip Memphis? If it turns out you just gotta go over to that cesspool, stop by the new Bass Pro Shop in the Memphis Pyramid. Its very cool.

Thanks for the great info we don't pass up many BBQ places. We thought about the Natchez Trace but last year trip brought us to the smokies and the last night was Nashville and a lot drinks..lol so we are keeping it to Ar,La,Ms area then back to KC...
Ok joe's BBQ in Kc is now the best we have had on the last trip down to Kc we went to 3 or 4 and still found Joe's is a clear winner...I have heard AR has some great BBQ?

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 11-05-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
What a great write up. Have done all except the caverns. Arkansas has some great riding for sure and Fayettville is home to one of the best rallies ever, Bikes Blues and Bbq. I do admit though if I had my choice nothing compares to the Smokey Mountains. Oh, as stated, keep out of Louisiana unless your just looking to party in N.O. , other than that its straight roads, humid, and nasty looking rivers and bayous. Just stay north of Interstate 30 and you'll be OK.
loved the smokies and Appalachian mountains, that was one the best trips ever.

party on Bourbon street will be the goal but seeing LA and the swamps is part of the attraction I love seeing this Country and all the places you wont see from the interstate..

La must offer something in the back roads?

how is the ride down to Grand isle? or Pilottown?

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 11-05-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 PM
road king Q
Road Master

ahhhh...gotcha!
Across north LA. Some great curvy roads thru some huge forests. Thing is some of the roads not in such great shape. Can't help ya there. Haven't ridden there in years

If you that far west, give Natchitoches a look. Between ElDorado and there you pass close to Sailes, where Bonnie and Clyde met their end. Natchitoches is a super old town. Lot of great spots. History. My kids liked the rebuilt fort. Can tour some old plantations south of town, national park. After Natchitoches, you could cut across to the east. Or Kisatchie area to the south is cool, but will be kind of blah after ozarks.

Lafayette area is real cajun domain. Some of those mudbugs you were after could be had there. Some real cajun eating there whatever the case. If you go there, pass thru Eunice, Mamou, Opelousas.... anywhere there and hear y'all some cajun accent. It's different, yeah. Places to meet some gators down thru here. You could take 90 thru the swamps and marshes to n'awlins, or crossing the wide Atchafalaya swamps on I 10 is an experience.... 20 miles of bridges. hwy 190 crosses a lot as well.

Baton Rouge traffic gets nasty. Follow the west side of the river down a bit and miss a lot of it. Lot of industry but a lot of plantations as well. Cross if you want out of Donaldsonville and follow either side down, depending on what you want to see. But crossing those bridges you see on all the movies over the river into NOLA is a cool way to come into the city...up from Gretna

"how is the ride down to Grand isle?"
Truly unique. Keep in mind can be super buggy and hot if you are later in summer. End of the world the locals call it.

Last edited by road king Q; 11-05-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Arkansas\LA routes..